2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Jammers

I just don't get Skate Canada not getting a senior international assignment to their most promising young skater to come along in years.

Colonel Green

I just don't get Skate Canada not getting a senior international assignment to their most promising young skater to come along in years.
As has been repeatedly discussed in this thread, she isn’t available for one — hence why she also isn’t competing domestically.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Before the speculation goes much further than "vaccines are required" - let's not forget that there are medical reasons to not be able to have a vaccination. It is wildly inappropriate to speculate on whatever the reason for not being vaccinated might be.

rink_mom

SIGH, I just hope people don't feel the need for :lynch: ...
There is no need for that and anyone who does is ridiculous. Anyone who makes the choice not to vaccinate knows that they will be restricted from things - they are already living the consequences of their decisions. As sad as it is for people to miss out they are choosing that.

dramagrrl

I'm sorry to be blunt, but unless there is some serious medical reason not to vaccinate, are her parents crazy? Even if they have religious or other "moral" reasons to be anti-vax, are they really willing to deny their daughter gigantic career opportunities to die on that hill??

mackiecat

That is a fair point, although in that case the minors themselves had spoken openly about it. That hasn't happened here.
Not the junior skaters who couldn’t skate in the first two JRGP due to vaccine requirements in France.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Not the junior skaters who couldn’t skate in the first two JRGP due to vaccine requirements in France.
I don't remember the conversation but Kaiya skated at that JGP. So why couldn't the Russian girls?

eta... I found the answer myself. So in the case of these skaters it's because Russia was on the red list at that time so anyone coming from there would have to quarantine for 10 days. If unvaccinated minors from other countries could compete there then I can't see vaccination being the issue. It was the length of quarantine:

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Their Fed literally could not send their skaters to compete because, even if they had received the Sputnik vaccine it hasn't been approved for use in France. That is a whole different ball of wax than someone dropping in here to point out that everyone competing at Challenge must be vaccinated while people are wondering why Ruiter's season is over.

million$momma

Isn't Ruiter about to turn16? At age 16, children in Ontario have been able to get vaccinated without parental permission. I'm not sure about Alberta, but I would assume that it might be a similar situation? If medically safe (e.g., no allergies to the vaccine components), perhaps she will take her future figure skating career into her own hands.

rink_mom

Just FYI, vaccination is not required for Challenge. Negative PCR test within 72 hrs is also acceptable.

That is new - originally kids were told at registration vaccine was required.

Skate Canada email from Sep 14th said:
"On September 14, 2021, The City of Regina announced the implementation of a Vaccination Passport to begin on November 15, 2021. As such, it is expected that participation at the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge, taking place in Regina, SK, will require proof of double vaccination at least two weeks in advance. More information will be circulated when confirmed by the City of Regina."

Also when registering at sectionals they were asking if vaccinated because "you won't be allowed in if not".
I know the latest info which came out tonight says PCR test - no idea when that was introduced or why the change.

Last edited:

pointbleu

I missed something... Didn’t they have to be fully vaccinated to enter France by the time of the JGP? Or was it only adults required to be fully vaccinated? I am missing something here.

Colonel Green

I missed something... Didn’t they have to be fully vaccinated to enter France by the time of the JGP? Or was it only adults required to be fully vaccinated? I am missing something here.
Canada wasn't a red zone (as defined by France), so you could travel from there unvaccinated at the time of the JGPs. The issue for the Russian skaters was that Russia was a red zone, so an approved vaccine was a requirement for entry.

pointbleu

Canada wasn't a red zone (as defined by France), so you could travel from there unvaccinated at the time of the JGPs. The issue for the Russian skaters was that Russia was a red zone, so an approved vaccine was a requirement for entry.
Thank you, it makes a lot of sense now. Whatever choices Kayla or her family have made, I hope she keeps on training and improving. She is such a joy to look at!

mackiecat

The thing is that vaccinations will be definitely required at Nationals, plus some Sectional venues also required it. Even if you can purchase an PCR expensive test that is only good for 72 hours. The practices and events are over 4 days, so would need 2 sets of tests. then there is the travel restrictions so the only way to get there is by private car.

BTW, In Alberta parental concent is required for those under age 18. There may be an exception granted for a “mature minor”

skategal

Bunny mama
Yes the travel requirements alone would be near impossible without being fully vaccinated to travel on an airplane.

fan

i find it quite hard to believe that her parents could fund her career for 10+ years, then deny her the opportunity to make the olympics because of vaccination. wow. i'm not saying it's not possible, it's just so illogical.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Where did the idea come from that Kaia is not vaccinated? How did that rumour even start? Are people just making shit up? AFAIK there is something personal happening and we don't know what it is, and have no right to know. Why do people think it's because she's not vaccinated? Has anyone confirmed that? If not then this shit has to stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information