2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Colonel Green

It's perhaps a sign of how rough a quadrennial it's been that fans were generally pleased with the outlook for Canadian ladies coming out of the 2021 World Championships, since Canada lost one of its two spots there. But in context, 2021 Worlds was indeed a hopeful sign, as Madeline's debut in major international competition went very well overall, and thirteenth was more than a lot of people dared hope for. So there will be one ticket to Beijing next winter, and right now I think most people would bet on Madeline taking it, as she hasn't lost to another Canadian at any event since 2019 nationals (which isn't a huge sample size, but still). Can she realize her stated ambition of adding a triple Axel?

Alison had a pretty decent outing at World Team Trophy, including her best attempt at a triple-triple in a long time. Gabrielle, at the same event, showed more fight than in recent years, but is still a ways away from her past form. Kaiya had really ambitious technical content at her one virtual event, but has also, since she trains in Alberta, has had repeated training disruptions that skaters in Ontario haven't had to deal with. That would also apply to Aurora, who we haven't heard anything from in a while.

Sylvia

TBD
Shouldn't "Women" be used in the title? ;)

ETA:

Madeline Schizas has a new SP to the "My Sweet and Tender Beast" waltz (female vocal version) by Eugen Doga; choreo. by Asher Hill.
A "clip from week one of choreography" is linked from her April 27 guest blog (scroll to the end): https://skateontario.org/skater-in-residence-blog-2-maddie-schizas/
This version is "Vals" or "Dulcea Si Tandra Mea Fiara" (Romanian lyrics by Viorica Demici), performed by Catalina Caraus.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Regarding the national team, this past year Skate Canada just went with the national podium. Unlike in men, going with the Challenge podium as a default would be a perfectly viable option here (Madeline, Alison, Gabrielle), but there's also a question of some skaters they may also want to include (Kaiya is somebody they obviously value, for instance).

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Regarding the national team, this past year Skate Canada just went with the national podium. Unlike in men, going with the Challenge podium as a default would be a perfectly viable option here (Madeline, Alison, Gabrielle), but there's also a question of some skaters they may also want to include (Kaiya is somebody they obviously value, for instance).
I would be surprised if they choose Gabby over Kaiya.

Colonel Green

I would be surprised if they choose Gabby over Kaiya.
Gabrielle beat Kaiya in their one competition this season, it should be noted.

But they're not limited to three people, it's more a question of how many spaces they want to have (last year's team was atypically small, especially for singles).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Not a surprise really but Alaine Chartrand announced her retirement.

Sylvia

TBD
Gabby Daleman is doing an Instagram Live Q&A right now. She said she isn't revealing her SP music just yet (Jeff Buttle has choreographed it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT1yGlHToK/) and is keeping her 2018-19 FS to "Mon Coeur s'ouvre a ta voix" and "Bacchanale" (from "Samson et Dalila") by Camille St.-Saens that was choreographed by Lori Nichol.
Not a surprise really but Alaine Chartrand announced her retirement.
Link to the news thread that was started: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/chartrand-announces-retirement.108337/

Last edited:

Lemonade20

I get why some skaters are repeating programs, but doesn't it lose a little something every time??

Colonel Green

I get why some skaters are repeating programs, but doesn't it lose a little something every time??
Very much depends on the circumstances.

This particular program has never had a standout showing (though the 2019 Worlds version was decent), arguably.

Marco

Not for Butyrskaya's Otonal when she finally won Worlds with it in the second season she used it.

There are also cost concerns for Gabby (just my guess) when she hasn't competed well or skated much in shows in recent years.

For her specifically, her primary focus should absolutely be physical condition and regaining jumps. I am OK with her reusing programs if it means she gets to skate in a comfortable program and keep her focus on the elements and spend more time training on ice.

screech

The last 2 years in particular, I have no issues with skaters repeating programs. Since it's hard to get choreography done with travel restrictions/'social distancing', and with so many limited opportunities to present the programs, why spend thousands more for something that may or may not get seen?

Actually, the Canadian skaters probably have it easiest in terms of getting in-person choreography done, since so many of the top choreographers are based in Canada.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Programs/Choreographers thread (and the previous Canadian Women's news thread):
Madeline Schizas: SP to "My Sweet and Tender Beast" waltz (female vocal version) by Eugen Doga; choreo. by Asher Hill
A "clip from week one of choreography" is linked from her April 27 guest blog (scroll to the end): https://skateontario.org/skater-in-residence-blog-2-maddie-schizas/
This version is "Vals" or "Dulcea Si Tandra Mea Fiara" (Romanian lyrics by Viorica Demici), performed by Catalina Caraus.

coppertop1

Very much depends on the circumstances.

This particular program has never had a standout showing (though the 2019 Worlds version was decent), arguably.

And she didn't even use it that much
She had been off ice during most of the 2018-19 season

shutterbug

Nice bit of news about Madeline Schizas: Oakville Community Foundation announces student award recipients

The $2,500 Donovan Bailey Sports Excellence Scholarship will be awarded annually in support of a student pursuing their own Olympic dreams. In recognition of this year’s milestone and given the volume of very deserving applicants, two students will receive this scholarship in its inaugural year.
Madeline Schizas is a graduate of White Oaks Secondary School. She is Canada’s national female figure skating champion and recently ranked 13th in the world. She will be attending the University of Waterloo in the Fall, where she will study music cognition with a long-term goal of becoming a medical doctor.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Gabby is nearly unrecognizable without all the makeup.
And this is a relevant comment because why...?

I am hardly women's lib,but even I find constant comments about ladies' makeup application rather sexist and woefully outdated.

I would love to see the same beauty standards were applied to men,even for one day.

-BB

Last edited:

Lemonade20

And this is a relevant comment because why...?

I am hardly women's lib,but even I find constant comments about ladies' makeup application rather sexist and woefully outdated.

I would love to see the same beauty standards were applied to men,even for one day.

-BB

Normally I wouldn't comment on someone's makeup, but when you see the difference, wow. She really didn't need all that makeup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information