2021/2022 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I suppose it could also just be them starting their journey down the road to the Winter Olympics with their eyes on the GOLDen door.

Thankfully we should know in the next few days if that competition is streamed.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
If it does turn out to be "The Long and Winding Road" there is a beautiful cover version of it by Jane Monheit that mashes up TLaWR with "Golden Slumbers" that I could imagine they'd do a great job with.

ostile17

What about Good-bye Yellow Brick Road? Wasn't there a reference to Elton John from Paul some time ago?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR FD/TOTAL (Summer 2021)
Gilles/Poirier 132/221
Soucisse/Firus 113/188
Lauriault/Legac 111/184
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs 111/184
Fabbri/Ayer 107/179
Hensen/Lickers 92/149
Behiel/Behiel 77/134
Ianneta/Carr 77/126
Hollstein/Burger 75/121

barbarafan

SENIOR FD/TOTAL (Summer 2021)
Gilles/Poirier 132/221
Soucisse/Firus 113/188
Lauriault/Legac 111/184
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs 111/184
Fabbri/Ayer 107/179
Hensen/Lickers 92/149
Behiel/Behiel 77/134
Ianneta/Carr 77/126
Hollstein/Burger 75/121
was there any live streaming for the Ontario competition?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
was there any live streaming for the Ontario competition?

Nothing on the Skate Ontario dailymotion page :(

Ice dance should be interesting this year. I would guess the top 3 and the Olympic team are pretty well set, but the battle to even get to 4CC will be close. Am so curious how these teams will compare internationally.

mackiecat

Ice dance should be interesting this year. I would guess the top 3 and the Olympic team are pretty well set, but the battle to even get to 4CC will be close. Am so curious how these teams will compare internationally.
I think there might be a fight for third

barbarafan

exactly....you cannot take marks seriously given by our domestic judges especially when half of the performances are a big secret and they are not judged together.

Colonel Green

The new issue of IFS includes a feature on Laurence & Nikolaj. Their RD is a George Michael medley ("Careless Whisper", "I Want Your Sex", and "Freedom"), while they are as generally expected keeping their FD. Nikolaj says they are not planning to retire after the Olympics, and hope to continue at least until 2024; and also that his citizenship should be finalized within a month.

Colonel Green

A real shame that Miku & Tyler had to withdraw from Courchevel II due to illness.

I saw the question raised whether they could be reassigned elsewhere, and I looked at the rules on this point, which just state:
No Skater (Lady, Man, Pair or Dance Couple) is allowed to participate in more than two events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating, while each result will be taken into consideration for points (see paragraph 3).
Whether being assigned and then withdrawing before the event starts counts as "participating" isn't outlined, but in practice I don't see why anybody would object to them being assigned to one of the later events if they're healthy enough.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
A real shame that Miku & Tyler had to withdraw from Courchevel II due to illness.

I saw the question raised whether they could be reassigned elsewhere, and I looked at the rules on this point, which just state:

Whether being assigned and then withdrawing before the event starts counts as "participating" isn't outlined, but in practice I don't see why anybody would object to them being assigned to one of the later events if they're healthy enough.
Pretty sure there has to be some clarification stated somewhere that once you are drawn for a starting position, you are counted as part of the event and cannot be assigned elsewhere in terms of having 'two' events for the (Junior) Grand Prix. Otherwise, what would stop skaters from hypothetically having 'illness' or 'injury' in a stacked event, or flat-out feeling unprepared, and then rolling the dice to potentially get a later less-competitive event? Of course it would be a lot of extra traveling.

skategal

Bunny mama
The new issue of IFS includes a feature on Laurence & Nikolaj. Their RD is a George Michael medley ("Careless Whisper", "I Want Your Sex", and "Freedom"), while they are as generally expected keeping their FD. Nikolaj says they are not planning to retire after the Olympics, and hope to continue at least until 2024; and also that his citizenship should be finalized within a month.
I really hope this RD doesn’t disappoint because it sounds like it will be SO amazing! :cheer2:

Colonel Green

Pretty sure there has to be some clarification stated somewhere that once you are drawn for a starting position, you are counted as part of the event and cannot be assigned elsewhere in terms of having 'two' events for the (Junior) Grand Prix. Otherwise, what would stop skaters from hypothetically having 'illness' or 'injury' in a stacked event, or flat-out feeling unprepared, and then rolling the dice to potentially get a later less-competitive event? Of course it would be a lot of extra traveling.
The federations already shuffle skaters around on the JGP for tactical reasons, though, since the entries aren't fixed. Anybody taking things like the field into mind in advance would shuffle out well before the draw. I don't think that's a real concern, particularly as this would really only be an issue with skaters simultaneously fearful enough of competition to bail out but somehow also so valuable to their federation that they could bank on getting another assignment despite having in effect wasted one.

Sonata

Love this idea for the RD! Surprised they are keeping the FD though....

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Check out the Ice Dance Elite Instagram stories for a look at all Carol Lane's teams in their RD costumes. Piper and Paul's are blindingly orange. :lol:

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Check out the Ice Dance Elite Instagram stories for a look at all Carol Lane's teams in their RD costumes. Piper and Paul's are blindingly orange. :lol:
:lol: Kudos to them for really going for that Elton John look. Who is the team beside them wearing a map/flag on the UK?

Sylvia

TBD
I guess Paul and Islam got married. Trennt Michaud posted this on Instagram.
@jmtfti has posted more info/links in the Weddings thread :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/royal-figure-skating-weddings.87599/page-14#post-6054480

ETA:

’Not the best free dance today, there were some small mistakes,’’ said Sorensen, also a silver medallist here with Fournier-Beaudry in 2019. ‘’But it’s still early in the season and we are just going to build from here. The feedback we got from here are both programs are really good.’’
Alicia Fabbri of Terrebonne, Que., and Paul Ayer of Calgary, ninth at the world juniors in 2019, took 12th spot.
‘’It was really amazing to get back competing,’’ said Fabbri. ‘’It’s been two years since an international event. Things started feeling normal again with the competitors around and the judges. And, of course, having some fans gives a boost to the performance.’’

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
2-minute video of Sales/Wamsteeker practicing (they "were in the Okanagan last week to visit family and train"):

Article:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information