2020 U.S. Club Competitions

Sylvia

TBD
California club competitions update:

Glacier Falls FSC has moved their annual Summer Classic club comp. to Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2020 (before the start of USFS' qualifying series of competitions) in Anaheim, CA - link to their latest Announcement: http://glacierfalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-GlacierFalls-Announcement-October-2020.pdf
ADMISSION FEE Due to restrictions related to Covid -19, spectators will be limited. Details about the “day of competition” process and procedures will be published at www.glacierfalls.com and will be emailed to each competitor.

The entire event will be live streamed at no cost.

All Year FSC usually hosts their Golden West club competition on Labor Day weekend, but has now shifted the dates to December 11-13, 2020 (after USFS' qualifying series of competitions is over) at Great Park Ice in Irvine, CA: http://allyearfsc.com/2020-golden-west-championships/

Link to the USFS qualifying competition plans & info thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/usfs-qualifying-season-plans.107464/

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I asked Sonja what her FS music is this year and she replied "Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2, choreographed by me :)" - looking forward to seeing this program later this season.

This is fabulous news. Hungarian Rhapsody has been neglected for years,in favor of popular music that panders to the lowest common denominator.

-BB

Sylvia

TBD
Adding a few program music/choreo. notes ... belated thanks to @alchemy void & @haribobo for all the music IDs in your PBP for Cup of CO! :)
Deardorff/Johnson- "Follow the Sun"- Jettan
I thought it sounded like Bradie Tennell's 2018-19 SP music? "Rebirth" by Hi-Finesse ft. Natacha Atlas.
Audrey has such a beautiful flow on the ice. I love watching her skate.
Audrey Shin's FS music is from the Modigliani (2004) film soundtrack by Guy Farley, choreographed by Tom Dickson. I think both of her programs suit her well and hope she keeps progressing this season.
Venetta
She has a really nice loop--lots of height. I like the music, it builds well, I don't know what it is (neither does google).
Sierra Venetta's FS music is from the Mao's Last Dancer (2009) film soundtrack by Christopher Gordon and was choreographed by Scott Brown.

Paige Rydberg kept her SP (Shania Twain medley) from last season.
Sarah Jung kept both of her programs from last season.

Of course it would freeze during Joseph Klein. Hard fall on 3A but I like the program for him.
Klein shared a fan cam clip of his 3F+3T in his "Don't Speak" SP that wasn't clearly shown in the livestream: https://www.instagram.com/p/CD9O8-IJt8Q

I was informed that Lindsay Thorngren's Senior FS music is Samson and Delilah, choreographed by Nina Petrenko (post #116 includes the link to watch her soundless skate at Hershey Open).

Last edited:

masik

Just speculating but I wonder if it was due to low entries.
Don’t speculate, it’s not.
I don't think so.

It is with deep regret that we announce the cancellation of Skate Wilmington 2020. This was a difficult decision, but we believe this is the best decision to ensure the safety of the skaters, parents, coaches, officials and volunteers. Safety is our foremost concern. This week the state of Delaware was put back on the quarantine list for multiple neighboring states. This affects many of the skaters that registered for the competition and would also affect our officials and volunteers. The need for volunteers was much higher than in previous years due to added procedures and tasks to ensure a safely run competition. Volunteers are key to the success of any competition, but even more so this year. With state restrictions continually changing, we feel this is the right decision.

concorde

Don’t speculate, it’s not.

It is with deep regret that we announce the cancellation of Skate Wilmington 2020. This was a difficult decision, but we believe this is the best decision to ensure the safety of the skaters, parents, coaches, officials and volunteers. Safety is our foremost concern. This week the state of Delaware was put back on the quarantine list for multiple neighboring states. This affects many of the skaters that registered for the competition and would also affect our officials and volunteers. The need for volunteers was much higher than in previous years due to added procedures and tasks to ensure a safely run competition. Volunteers are key to the success of any competition, but even more so this year. With state restrictions continually changing, we feel this is the right decision.
Yeah. I got the same email.

But I believe there were other factors beyond what was stated in the email. Similar issues did not prevent USFS from holding a qualifying event in Massachusetts.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the key is:

This week the state of Delaware was put back on the quarantine list for multiple neighboring states.

That means they are going to lose entries as well as volunteers. It would make it impossible to put the event one IMO.

Sylvia

TBD
Centennial Skating Club's annual Colorado Springs Invitational/Rocky Mountain State Games is taking place Sept. 10-13, 2020 in Monument, CO (EAST rink is the main one for Friday/Saturday IJS events):
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=79
I don't yet know if there will be free and/or live streaming.
Host club: http://www.centennialskatingclub.org/

SENIOR MEN
SP in East rink Friday Sept. 11 12:35-1:05 pm Mountain Time; FS on Saturday 10:55-11:35 am MT
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Camden Pulkinen
Andrew Torgashev
Jordan Moeller
Ben Jalovick (SP only)
Thomas Schwappach (FS only)

SENIOR LADIES
SP on Friday 8:50-10:10 pm MT; FS on Saturday 8:00-9:50 pm MT
Karen Chen
Courtney Hicks
Sarah Jung
Pooja Kalyan
Audrey Shin
Sierra Venetta
Finley Hawk
Sonja Hilmer
Julia Fennell
Hailee Giordano
Taylor Morris ISR
Angelina Huang TPE
Tara Prasad IND
Sophia Semaan (FS only)

SENIOR PAIRS
SP on Friday 1:45-2:25 pm MT; FS on Saturday 6:40-7:05 pm MT
Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson
Brynne McIsaac / Mark Sadusky
Sarah Burden / Matthew Rounis
Kate Finster / Balazs Nagy (SP only)
Alexandra Fakhroutdinov / Danny Neudecker (SP only/debut)
Greta Crafoord / John Crafoord SWE

JUNIOR PAIRS
SP on Friday 1:25-1:40 pm MT; FS EX on Saturday 6:25-6:40 pm MT
Katie Holling / Chase Finster (SP only/debut)
Campbell Young / Ryan Dodds AUS

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Tom Zakrajsek is doing an Instagram Live from the World Arena right now (started at 1 pm Mountain time): https://www.instagram.com/coachtomz/
This is an in-house jump challenge event. Christy Krall is the referee. Josh Farris is judging in person, along with (virtually by phone) Mirai Nagasu and Max Aaron.

Tomoki Hiwatashi 3A 8 8 7
Vincent Zhou 3A (from steps) 10 10 10
Tomoki then popped 1Lz twice (planned 4Lz), landed 4T off balance 7 7 7
Vincent's quad attempts: 1Lz, 4Lz+3T, 4Lz with both arms overhead 10 10 10

Maryn Pierce: Rippon 3Lz+3T, 3A fall (on both attempts) 8 8 8
Paige Rydberg: 3T+3T, 3Lz 9 9 9
Pooja Kalyan: 3Lz+3T, 3Lo fall, nice 3Lo 8 8 8
Bradie Tennell: 3Lz+2?Lo fall, 3A fall (both attempts); Tom Z. said she landed 3A< on one foot yesterday

In Novice Ladies, Katie Holling (will debut in Junior Pair with Chase Finster) landed 2A & 3S+2T.

In Intermediate Ladies, Phoebe Stubblefield landed a good 3T (received all 10s) and 2A in combo with Euler/double.

Zakrajsek mentioned that there will be an announcement on Monday 8/31 about an Aerial Challenge virtual competition that any USA skaters can enter.

Last edited:

natsulian

Tom Zakrajsek is doing an Instagram Live from the World Arena right now (started at 1 pm Mountain time): https://www.instagram.com/coachtomz/
This is an in-house jump challenge event. Christy Krall is the referee. Josh Farris is judging in person, along with (virtually by phone) Mirai Nagasu and Max Aaron.

Tomoki Hiwatashi 3A 8 8 7
Vincent Zhou 3A (from steps) 10 10 10
Tomoki then popped 1Lz twice (planned 4Lz), landed 4T off balance 7 7 7
Vincent's quad attempts: 1Lz, 4Lz+3T, 4Lz with both arms overhead 10 10 10

Maryn Pierce: Rippon 3Lz+3T, 3A fall (on both attempts) 8 8 8
Paige Rydberg: 3T+3T, 3Lz 9 9 9
Pooja Kalyan: 3Lz+3T, 3Lo fall, nice 3Lo 8 8 8
Bradie Tennell: 3Lz+2?Lo fall, 3A fall (both attempts); Tom Z. said she landed 3A< on one foot yesterday

In Novice Ladies, Katie Holling (will debut in Junior Pair with Chase Finster) landed 2A & 3S+2T.

In Intermediate Ladies, Phoebe Stubblefield landed a good 3T (received all 10s) and 2A in combo with Euler/double.

Zakrajsek mentioned that there will be an announcement on Monday 8/31 about an Aerial Challenge virtual competition that any USA skaters can enter.
Video of Bradie’s second 3A attempt: https://twitter.com/Natsu_Lian_/status/1299902318012510210?s=20

Sylvia

TBD
Centennial Skating Club's annual Colorado Springs Invitational/Rocky Mountain State Games is taking place Sept. 10-13, 2020 in Monument, CO (EAST rink is the main one for Friday/Saturday IJS events):
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=79
I don't yet know if there will be free and/or live streaming.
Live Scoring link (nothing posted there yet) & 3 livestream links :) are now posted on the left hand side of the Entryeeze page (on mobile devices "tap here for our announcemenrs (1)"). It's the same company that livestreamed Cup of Colorado so the daily streams likely won't be archived.
EAST (main) rink: https://vimeo.com/event/270321/12be60ad59

SENIOR MEN (updated as of today)
SP on Friday Sept. 11 12:35-1:05 pm Mountain Time; FS on Saturday 10:55-11:35 am MT
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Camden Pulkinen
Jordan Moeller
Ben Jalovick (SP only)
Thomas Schwappach (FS only)

SENIOR LADIES (updated as of today)
SP on Friday 8:50-10:10 pm MT; FS on Saturday 8:00-9:50 pm MT
Karen Chen
Courtney Hicks
Sarah Jung
Pooja Kalyan
Audrey Shin
Finley Hawk
Sonja Hilmer
Julia Fennell
Hailee Giordano
Angelina Huang TPE
Tara Prasad IND

SENIOR PAIRS
SP on Friday 1:45-2:25 pm MT; FS on Saturday 6:40-7:05 pm MT
Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson
Brynne McIsaac / Mark Sadusky
Sarah Burden / Matthew Rounis
Kate Finster / Balazs Nagy (SP only)
Alexandra Fakhroutdinov / Danny Neudecker (SP only/debut)
Greta Crafoord / John Crafoord SWE (SP only)

JUNIOR PAIRS (event no longer taking place)

Sofia Frank is the only ISP skater listed in Junior Ladies.

JUNIOR ICE DANCE
Rhythm Dance on Sunday 9:25-9:40 am MT & Free Dance also on Sunday 10:45-11:00 am MT
2 new teams based in CO Springs are listed to make their respective debuts together:
Isabella Flores & Dimitry Tsarevski
Leah Neset & Artem Markelov

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Colorado Springs Invitational/Rocky Mountain State Games

FRIDAY
Junior Ladies SP 10:50am
Novice Men SP 12:15pm
Senior Men SP 12:35pm
Senior Pairs SP 1:45pm
Novice Ladies SP 4:05pm
Senior Ladies SP 8:50pm

SATURDAY
Novice Men FS 10:25am
Senior Men FS 10:55am
Novice Ladies FS 11:55am
Junior Ladies FS 2:15pm
Senior Pairs FS 6:40pm
Senior Ladies FS 8:00pm

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ All start times above are Mountain time (2 hours behind Eastern). Junior Ladies SP is scheduled to start around 12:50 pm Eastern time.

Starting orders/Results (scores are not live became live later; results/protocols are being posted after each event): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29382/index.html

Livestream (main rink): https://vimeo.com/event/270321/12be60ad59

Juvenile Girls SP is starting now. Unofficial scores are being announced after each skater.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Ladies SP is starting on time. Argentina's national anthem was just played for Carla Torres who skates 1st.

From Cup of Colorado earlier in this thread:
... Sofia Frank with a fun, energetic performance to Donna Summer's "Last Dance."
Sofia recently was added to the ISP and will skate her SP in the 2nd group.

ETA:

I liked what I saw of Ruoxi Hu at Cup of Colorado last month. Spanish themed music - jumps: 3S+3T(looked <), 3Lz, 2A. Scored 50.45 1st.

ETA #2: Sofia seemed to lack energy today (at Cup of CO the audience was louder and quite responsive to her SP performance) - 3T+3T step, 2A, 3Lz fall. 42.44 2nd - her second 3T was called < in the protocol.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cup of Colorado - Zoltan Brady showed wonderful posture/carriage in his "Singin' in the Rain" Intermediate FS exhibition just now. :)
He is warming up now and skating his Intermediate SP next.

ETA that Zoltan skated to "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen (made memorable by Jason B. in an exhibition program): 1A, 2Lz+2T hop, low hydroblade to 2Lo.

Ethan Le skated his Novice SP to the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" and looked like he really enjoyed himself!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Men SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29382/SEGM010.html

Another good outing by Tomoki Hiwatashi (82.11) - jumps were 4T easy-looking, 3A step out, 3Lz+3T. He received level 4 on his well-performed step sequence at the end.

ETA: Camden had another tough skate :( but at least he landed an impressive 3A. Also, I think I spotted a masked Josh Farris at the boards with Tomoki.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Swedish national anthem was played even though the Crafoord twins have WD. Fak/Neu are a late scratch, so only Finster/Nagy are warming up in 1st group.

Senior Pairs SP starting order:
Fakhroutdinov/Neudecker (debut)-WD, Finster/Nagy (senior debut; SP music is "Lost Without You" by Freya Ridings), [listed as WD-Crafoord/Crafoord SWE] / Burden/Rounis, Deardorff/Johnson, McIsaac/Sadusky

Sylvia

TBD
Thailand's Phattaratida Kaneshige, who looks very young, really surprised me in Intermediate Ladies SP by landing 3Lo, 3S+2T & 2A and performed with a smile to Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" - 43.71 is a really good score!

ETA link to protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29382/SEGM013.html

Looks like the East rink currently is running about 25 mins. behind schedule as Novice Ladies SP starts.

Last edited:

annie720

Looks like the East rink currently is running about 25 mins. behind schedule as Novice Ladies SP starts.
Thanks for this! That helps out a great deal with planning the evening schedule. I really want to see the Senior ladies.

Sylvia

TBD
McIsaac/Sadusky debuted as a senior team at the U.S. Pairs Final last November (with Peterson/Evora) and skated well enough, I thought, to deserve to compete at Nationals but they were just short of the required minimum score, unfortunately.

I believe they moved to Colorado Springs this past spring (Brynne previously trained there for a while in singles before switching to pairs) and Phillip Mills choreographed both(?) of M/S' programs.

Sylvia

TBD
Kanon Smith easily won the Novice Ladies SP (47.57) skating to a Mary Poppins medley (last year's music IIRC?); jumps were 3T (off-balance landing), 3Lz+3T< (received 3 bonus points) & 2A - she's an impressive, all-around skater! Kanon won the 2019 U.S. Juvenile Girls title, was invited to perform an exhibition at 2019 4CC in Anaheim as a local skater, and last season placed 5th in a competitive Novice field at the Pacific Coast Sectional Singles Final.

I also enjoyed watching the final skater, Keirey Franzen, who ended up 3rd - she did double jumps but skated well to Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

The Juvenile Girls FS got underway about 30 mins. behind schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information