2020 Grand Prix series thread

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
As far as the series it looks like ISU has decided to go ahead with localized events.

I’m glad they’re having it but this will definitely be interesting going forward

“The International Skating Union said Tuesday that each of the six competitions will feature domestic skaters; those skaters already training in the host nation; and skaters assigned to that event for geographic reasons.

Skate Canada is scheduled to be held in Ottawa Oct. 29-Nov. 1, a week after Skate America will be held in Las Vegas.

No decisions on the Grand Prix final, set for Beijing on Dec. 10-13, have been made. That competition also is expected to serve as a test event for the 2022 Winter Olympics.”

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Hypothetical Pairs Fields- feel free to correct anyone who is in the wrong location or if I am missing anyone...

USA- Cain/Leduc, Kayne/Oshea, Calalang/Johnson, Knierim/Frazier, Tarasova/Morozov, Lu/Mitrofanov, Finster/Nagy
CAN- MT/M, Walsh/Michaud, Ruest/Wolfe, Brasseur/Daleman, Serafini/Tran, Miura/Kihara, Stellato/Deschamps
FRA- DM/Guarise, James/Cipres?, Hase/Seegert, Hocke/Kunkel, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Ziegler/Kiefer (or RUS)
CHN- Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Tang/Yang
JPN ?
RUS Boikova, Mishina, Pavliuchenko, Panfilova, Pleshkov, Kolesov, Nazarychev, Mironov

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
CAN- MT/M, Walsh/Michaud, Ruest/Wolfe, Brasseur/Daleman, Serafini/Tran, Miura/Kihara

Where are Max and Deanna living? Any more new juniors to seniors appearing?

Do you really think James and Cipres are going forward???

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Hypothetical Dance Fields

USA- Carreira/Ponomarenko, Green/Parsons, Wolfkostin/Chen, Brown/Brown, Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov, Davis/Smolkin
CAN- Fear/Gibson, Papadakis/Cizeron, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Gilles/Poirier, FB/Sorensen, Wang/Liu, Hawayek/Baker, Lajoie/Lagha, Smart/Diaz, Lauriault/Legac, Soucisse/Firus, Reed/Ambrulevicius
FRA- Guignard/Fabbri, Kaliszek/Spoydriev, Urban Janse /Steffan, Demougeot/LeMercier
RUS- Sinkats, Stepanova, Bagin, Zagorski, Nazarova, Konkina, Shevchenko, Kazakova, Mueller/Dieck, Thauron, Smirnov, Bazin, Narzynyy
JPN- Muramoto/Takahashi

Last edited:

Amy L

Hypothetical Pairs Fields- feel free to correct anyone who is in the wrong location or if I am missing anyone...

USA- Cain/Leduc, Kayne/Oshea, Calalang/Johnson, Knierim/Frazier, Lu/Mitrofanov, Finster/Nagy
CAN- MT/M, Walsh/Michaud, Ruest/Wolfe, Brasseur/Daleman, Serafini/Tran, Miura/Kihara, Stellato/Deschamps
FRA- DM/Guarise, James/Cipres?, Hase/Seegert, Hocke/Kunkel, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Ziegler/Kiefer (or RUS)
CHN- Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Tang/Yang
JPN ?
RUS Boikova, Tarasova, Mishina, Pavliuchenko, Panfilova, Pleshkov, Kolesov, Nazarychev, Mironov

Tarasova/Morozov are training in Florida so you'd have to move them.

MsZem

I see the sea
USA- Carreira/Ponomarenko, Green/Parsons, Wolfkostin/Chen, Brown/Brown, Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov, Davis/Smolkin
Shira Ichilov and her partner whose name escapes me?

RUS- Sinkats, Stepanova, Hurtado, Bagin, Zagorski, Nazarova, Konkina, Shevchenko, Kazakova, Davis, Mueller/Dieck, Thauron, Smirnov, Bazin, Narzynyy
Hurtado's out. She's in Madrid where she recently underwent surgery on her shoulder (torn labrum), and is expected to take about six months to recover.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Hypothetical Men Fields
USA- Chen, Krasnozhon, Camden, Tomoki, Torgashev, Naumov, Brezina, Messing, Zhou, Samohin, Bychenko
CAN- Brown, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Gogolev, Nadeau, Orzel, Phan, Gorodnitsky
FRA- Uno, Rizzo, Grassl, Vasiljevs, Ponsart, Fentz, Fa, Aymoz, Shimada
CHN- Jin, Han Yan, Cha
JPN- Tomono, Kagiyama, Sato, Tanaka, Yamamoto, Sumoto, Hanyu
RUS- Danielian, Aliev, Samarin, Ignatov, Lazukin, Kolyada, Mozalev, Gumennik, Kerry, Moris K.

Hypothetical Ladies Fields
USA- Bell, Tennell, Chen, Glenn, Starr, Ting, Gracie, Hanna, Hicks, Marin H?, YCLeung, Young You
CAN- Satoko, Daleman, Pineault, Bausback, Schumacher, Schizas, Mallet, Cotop, Bulawka, Yi Zhu
FRA- Paganini, Schott, Meite, Peltonen, Kiibus, Kurakova, Kihira
CHN- H Chen, Yelim Kim, Haein Lee, Eunsoo Lim
JPN- Wakaba, Kaori, Yokoi, Mako, Shiraiwa, Nitaya, Nagai, Yoshioka
RUS- Kostornaia, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova, Medvedeva, Sinitsyna, Gubanova, Tursynbaeva, Guliakova, Tarakanova, Safonova, Ryabova

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Hypothetical Men Fields
USA- Chen, Krasnozhon, Camden, Tomoki, Torgashev, Naumov, Brezina, Aymoz?
CAN- Brown, Hanyu, Cha, Messing, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Zhou, Orzel, Phan
Aymoz is currently in France. All the Israeli men should be in North America - Samohin and Bychenko in the US, Gorodnitsky in Canada.

Ladies - Lea Serna for the French GP, maybe other French ladies as well?

Vagabond

🤔

Will fields still be capped at 12 in Singles, 10 in Pairs and Ice Dance?

Will skaters have to meet any TES minima or Season's Best Score levels to qualify?

Will there still be caps on the number of entries from non-host countries? (For example, could four U.S. Ice Dance couples compete at Skate Canada?)

Will competing on the Grand Prix this season render skaters ineligible for the Junior Grand Prix next season?

Answers, please!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
🤔

Will fields still be capped at 12 in Singles, 10 in Pairs and Ice Dance?
good question

Will skaters have to meet any TES minima or Season's Best Score levels to qualify?
shouldn't

Will there still be caps on the number of entries from non-host countries? (For example, could four U.S. Ice Dance couples compete at Skate Canada?)
shouldn't

Will competing on the Grand Prix this season render skaters ineligible for the Junior Grand Prix next season?
shouldn't

Answers, please!

I imagine by early October we should have these answers...sooner would be sweet

Tobbe

Russian Ladies: Vasilieva has switched to pairs. And I would add Zagitova, Ryabova and Safonova (and maybe Kurakova?). Gubanova and Gulyakova have not qualified to GP (per old rules) but I guess they can be there under these strange circumstances. Maybe Tarakanova and Konstantinova too.

It seems to me the Korean girls are the big losers with this GP layout.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Thanks for the updates. I heard Tarakanova is some kind of rollerblading athlete now.

Colonel Green

Hypothetical Men Fields
USA- Chen, Krasnozhon, Camden, Tomoki, Torgashev, Naumov, Brezina, Aymoz?
CAN- Brown, Hanyu, Cha, Messing, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Zhou, Orzel, Phan
Hanyu is in Japan at the moment; while it's possible he might get back to Canada beforehand, pending travel restrictions, he might just stay and focus on NHK and Japan nationals.

Messing lives/trains in Alaska and I don't think he could actually go to SCI, so he'd have to go to SkAm.
CAN- Kurakova, Satoko, Daleman, Pineault, Bausback, Schumacher, Schizas, Mallet, Cotop, Bulawka
FRA- Paganini, Schott, Meite, Peltonen
JPN- Kihira, Wakaba, Kaori, Yokoi, Mako, Shiraiwa, Nitaya, Nagai, Yoshioka
Kurakova is in Poland right now, so she'd be for France.

Kihira is in Switzerland at the moment, but it's unclear whether she's going back to Japan or not.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This seems seven ways to stupid to me. I get the part that it is great the skaters can compete. And perhaps there is needed $$$ involved.

However:
1. Do the results count for anything?
2. Why call it The Grand Prix......it isn't.
3. If there is anything at stake here? Points (not ok) IMO. Standings? (I hope not).
4. There are going to be a million *****. These skaters have not been training in months.
5. Where will the coaches be? How will they travel? Can they travel? Where will they stay?

Since it is not at all the Grand Prix Series, why not have it be something fun and new (which it is)
Give it a good name that is catchy and describes what it is. Each grouping needs a fun name. They could even call themselves after skaters of years past: The Buttons. Rodnina Rockets.

Tobbe

This seems seven ways to stupid to me. I get the part that it is great the skaters can compete. And perhaps there is needed $$$ involved.

However:
1. Do the results count for anything?
2. Why call it The Grand Prix......it isn't.
3. If there is anything at stake here? Points (not ok) IMO. Standings? (I hope not).
4. There are going to be a million *****. These skaters have not been training in months.
5. Where will the coaches be? How will they travel? Can they travel? Where will they stay?

Since it is not at all the Grand Prix Series, why not have it be something fun and new (which it is)
Give it a good name that is catchy and describes what it is. Each grouping needs a fun name. They could even call themselves after skaters of years past: The Buttons. Rodnina Rockets.

And what about the Grand Prix Final? Will it consist of the winners from each event?

concorde

I would think there would a limit to the number of skaters representing one country. Maybe up the traditional max by one but without a limit, it seems like these could be mini Narionals.

Colonel Green

And what about the Grand Prix Final? Will it consist of the winners from each event?
They said they haven't determined that, but I can't imagine that's what they go with; in ice dance, in particular, that would be ludicrous given the distribution (the six Finalists from last year train in just two countries).

I would think there would a limit to the number of skaters representing one country. Maybe up the traditional max by one but without a limit, it seems like these could be mini Narionals.
I don't think there's any point to retaining the country limit, as long as there's an understanding that the federations should seek to give opportunities to what foreign skaters are available. Particularly in pairs and dance.

Tobbe

They said they haven't determined that, but I can't imagine that's what they go with; in ice dance, in particular, that would be ludicrous given the distribution (the six Finalists from last year train in just two countries).

And only the winners at GPF would mean just ONE Russian lady. Maybe we will see Maé-Bérénice Méité at GPF?;)

Last edited:

Tobbe

US Figure Skating released a statement about the Grand Prix.

Would love to hear from the other federations.
Here is RusFed's statement:

Amy L

What Trankov said about Tarasova/Morozov's participation in the GP:

“The information has just arrived, now we will discuss the situation with our coaching staff and agree with the federation whether the guys need to fly to Russia or whether they can perform at the American stage. We will discuss this a little later, there is no answer yet. - Trankov said on the phone.

I would guess that it would be difficult for them to get to Russia for the test skates in September, but maybe travel will be a bit easier by Rostelecom. As it is now, Vladimir said that they had three flights cancelled before they finally got to fly to the USA. They had a much longer route that usual, I think he said it took something like 18 hours. I can't imagine schlepping between the USA and Russia under those conditions, let alone if they would be allowed back in one or the other.

Tobbe

I guess you can have the GPF with the 6 highest scores from all the competitions. That would only work though if each event has international judges of course, and preferably the SAME judges.

But who would be interested to go to China to GPF if it means two weeks quarantine to get in, and maybe another two weeks to get back home?

Willin

This will be interesting and juicy for gossip - especially given that all officials will be local to the competition. Cue the speculation and drama.

I wish that instead of this set up they would have done a bubble like the NBA is doing. Test everyone, put everyone in a few hotels, and run a competition with virtual audiences only. They could rent somewhere like the Irvine rink (or even half the Irvine rink) where there's 9 surfaces to train on and let the athletes train on different surfaces. Drama, intrigue, and increased safety. That is, if they can figure out the visa situations for every skater. Of course this is more expensive and logistically difficult, but I think it would be the only way to run the Grand Prix with some minimal level of safety.

PinkRose

Hypothetical Dance Fields

Your USA pool would be: Carreira/Ponomarenko (USA), Green/Parsons (USA), Pate/Bye (USA), Cesanek/Yehorov (USA), Ming/Eaton (KOR), Kelly/Akalin (TUR), Dozzi/Valdez (HUN), Monaghan/Fourati (HUN), Bratti/ Couyras (FRA), Wagret/Souquet-Basiege (FRA), Tweedale/Buckland (GBR), Hertenstein/Binkowski (POL), Muramoto/Takahashi (JPN)

(McNamera/Spiridonov aren't on the ISP at the moment, and the rest you mentioned are Juniors)

Also, I think that's it, and if I missed anyone, please add!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Because in most countries there would only be 3 or 4 skaters per discipline and not worth having the event. That's why it's internal unless foreign skaters are already in a country, or the quarantine/travel requirements are amendable. They aren't in most countries. And, unless the Korean skaters can travel to China, that's exactly what it's going to be anyway given how few GP qualified skaters they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information