2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

kittysk8ts

And Vanessa could have very likely been advised not to comment on anything to do the with case whilst legal proceedings are ongoing.
This is extremely likely to be the case. If Morgan is ever brought to trial, she very well may be called as witness for either side. Saying anything at all could jeopardize a court case for the young victim. Truth is we know absolutely nothing about Vanessa’s position, what she she knew and when and what a lawyer may have advised her. To jump to automatic conclusions in unfair. Re Meagan, ugh, I do feel bad that she feels betrayed but I’m not sure her post was the right thing to do. All IMHO, of course.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Disclaimer is that I've known Meagan and Eric for a very long time, almost a decade before they even started skating together. Haven't talked to them since this has made it's way through Twitter and here in the last 2 days, but just some additional thoughts based on the back and forth and variety of different assumptions now being thrown out:

I think Eric and Vanessa were considering skating together for a while, and once Vanessa found out that her release from France was going to be quick and have no issues (this is also 100% confirmed), I believe they immediately wanted to go full-force. Understandable since if they are trying to get to the Olympics again, they only have less than 10 months to get everything together. If I had to read between the lines, I would say Meagan's posts are coming from a place of being somewhat blindsided by the quick moving forward once the release happened. Obviously 'Duhamel/Radford' are accomplished as a team and like I mentioned before, CV took a lot of typical opportunities away that made everyone scramble, and I would think Meagan was waiting it out while Eric had his own unknown plans.

Eric and Vanessa had been practicing at the same rink Matte/Ferland in the weeks leading up to the World Team Trophy, and I have also heard that this was a buzz around the skaters at the event last week. As I mentioned in a previous post, pretty much all of skating Canada knows this by now. I know people are rambling on with 'we don't even know if it's true', most likely because Dave Lease was the one to hint at it, but it is known widely around the rinks, so to speak. I believe they also don't have an official coaching team yet, and they aren't working with Bruno.

I have to admit that I don't read a lot of skating articles because I think most of it is stuff that is already known or the same thoughts repeated in a different way, but I can't remember Duhamel ever being vocal about wanting to step away from skating. I could be wrong, but I think it was more moving into pro skating and starting a family. I remember when she was back on the ice post-baby, she was trying to land all her triples very quickly and we saw how ambitious she was in such a short time during Battle of the Blades. She's not someone that was ever ready to hang up her skates AFAIK, but I did always get the impression that Eric was done and had so many other things he wanted to focus on.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Nothing that I can see on her instagram, so unless it was in stories that I missed at the time, I don't recall her saying a word. There are still clips of her programs/podium pictures with him, but why should she have to scrub all of her professional achievements away because of someone else's actions?
The posts people are talking about were made by Vanessa and then very quickly deleted.

I saw them and they were in support of Morgan in this situation.

VGThuy

Nothing that I can see on her instagram, so unless it was in stories that I missed at the time, I don't recall her saying a word. There are still clips of her programs/podium pictures with him, but why should she have to scrub all of her professional achievements away because of someone else's actions?

The posts people are talking about were made by Vanessa and then very quickly deleted.

I saw them and they were in support of Morgan in this situation.
I'm just going by remembering that people said they have seen them. My point was that, if it's true that she posted in full support of Morgan after the allegations came out, then Vanessa did not stay silent but chose to fully support the accused. Whether or not one supports or understands her actions in doing so is obviously up to the individual, but it's not as if she took no action whatsoever. She did, and she did it publicly, and that's why people may be responding to her negatively.

Last edited:

mackiecat

Megan was asked on TSL if she missed competition and she resounded said No. she said she was happy to not being competing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That said, she's not the one who committed the crimes. However, if people want to feel icky about her for enabling and supporting him after information became public, then I don't blame them either.
It's not like we can't be disgusted by more than one person in this fiasco. There is a lot of blame to go around from the perpetrator, to the people who covered up for him and the people who supported him.

Xsktrx

I’ve always been impressed with Trent as he appears to be solid in most every area. Evelyn’s jumps and at times throws plus a less than stellar twist (up until last Nationals where definite improvement was evident) has in my opinion held them back from moving closer to that top tier. Trent appears to be committed to Evelyn and should he decide to finish out his career with her they will likely never quite get there. I wonder if the Eric thing plays out as some posting here assume and Eric/Vanessa, Mike/ Kirsten end up going to the Olympics whether Trent should he continue skating reconsiders remaining with Evelyn or seeks a potential new partnership that could take him higher. He’s only 24 so not exactly at the end of his career if he wants to continue. He might assume that staying with Evelyn is the right path should the two pairs who presumably got the Olympic nod would retire but there is always risk of younger pairs coming up or yet another experienced pair getting together like Eric and Vanessa. I expect we might see the landscape in pairs change considerably post Olympics, or should I say I hope so.

Skate Talker

I'm happy for Eric and Vanessa if they want to skate together. I'm excited to see what they can accomplish as a team. To say I am surprised would be an understatement. I always had the impression Eric was happily done with serious competition.

I'm sad for Meaghan if she wanted to return to a partnership with Eric but was not given the opportunity. I'm sorry not to have the chance to see what else they could have done together.

I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to watch Meaghan & Eric's journey together & see the fulfillment of so many of their hopes & dreams. They were very dedicated and worked so very hard for so many years. The way they skated at the 2018 OG and their terrific results just seemed like a perfect ending.

I'm actually starting to think it would have almost been a shame to risk that perfect ending to their competitive career together.

Rhumba d’Amour

That extra N in his name might be responsible for some of his bad luck :)

Though seriously, Charlie Bilodeau’s decision to pull the plug on his partnership with Lyubov might have been a bit of good luck for Evelyn and Trennt, so maybe they shouldn’t complain about their luck. In any event, this news might push them to improve.

wickedwitch

Though seriously, Charlie Bilodeau’s decision to pull the plug on his partnership with Lyubov might have been a bit of good luck for Evelyn and Trennt, so maybe they shouldn’t complain about their luck. In any event, this news might push them to improve.
A reminder that Evelyn and Trennt beat Lubov and Charlie twice and earned that second slot at Woulds 2020.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
She also mentioned that the height difference between them contributed to the problem. That will be less of a problem with Vanessa.
Since when is having similar height in Pairs a plus?! Sui/Han are an exception...he has superhuman strength and/or they work hard with physics to make it all happen (like Tai/Randy decades ago).

Last edited:

crazy2skate

D/R’s harder tech elements was what made them World/Olympic contenders, but they weren’t what kept them on top at Canadians. I wouldn’t expect to see J/R trying the SBS Lutz, but they wouldn’t need that; they both are (or were) better jumpers than W/M (especially Evelyn).

The lifts are the biggest question. If Eric is in form (as he must feel he is), they’d easily pass W/M on those.

A lot of people thought that about D/R, but not about

I don't understand why some are thinking that Evenly & Trennt's Olympic spot is being taken away from them. What about Matte & Ferland? Brasseur & Daleman? Don't they get a chance to go out and compete for their Olympic dream??? So many skaters/teams have secured Olympic spots and never seen the inside of an Olympic ice arena as nothing in this life is guaranteed. They should use this as a positive and keep striving to get better and up their technical difficulty.

Best of luck to all the skaters as they prepare for this upcoming season in still very difficult times.
Well said, no spots are given or taken all are earned. W/M need to take a reality check ... are they really Olympic ready??? ( maybe a little too confident) Anything can happen in the next year. It is exciting to see a little action in the pairs circle. It has all gotten a little boring with no one pushing the others at the top. KMT/M and W/M are best buddies and train together which has not shown to be overly productive. I look forward to seeing the new pairs once competitions begin again, who will emerge??? Canadian pairs are so behind the rest of the world. Canada needs some excitement!
I look forward to R/J pushing the limit with exciting lifts and positions, this is exciting for Canada I have always admired Vanessa, athletic, creative and artistic. They longs lines of theses too could be beautiful. I wish them all the success!!!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Am I missing something in reading these comments about what exactly W/M are thinking or what is being taken away from them (as if James and Radford have an automatic spot)? AFAIK they've said nothing, we have yet another set of fans speaking for them or spelling out what this 'must' mean, and now we are getting comments that they need a reality check? I think the skaters understand they have to deliver in any circumstance-- the fans.. not so sure.

Xsktrx

I agree. So often one partner or another gets condemned by the fans for breaking up a partnership or trying to find another partner that will potentially move them to the next level. I know skating fans wish for the fairytale ending but many examples exists (Kirsten for example) where a partner “trades up” so to speak and after the initial outrage the fans mostly fall in line supporting them and on we go. It would be nice if skaters would do it in an honourable way or act more classy but that’s not always the case.

I'm a little late to the party with the talk of Eric/Vanessa perhaps pairing up and Meagan feeling betrayed... if this is the case, it reminds me of when Victor Kraatz decided he didn't want to skate anymore after Shae-Lynn and him had plans for a professional career together, she felt the same as what Meagan is feeling now (if that's what this is all about) Victor had every right to change his mind, and Shae-Lynn had every right to feel betrayed and let down. Just my 2 cents :)
It's kind of different. Shae-Lynn and Victor had professional offers that she didn't want to do because she didn't want to be away from her then husband/fiance (not sure if she and Nikolai were married yet) for extended periods of time. She wanted only one off shows and short tours. Victor's position was if we're going to skate professionally, then we need to take the best offers that come our way. When she basically said that didn't work for her, he quit.

In Meagan and Eric's case, professional shows and tours are kind of in a holding pattern because of current worldwide health issues. It appears that Eric is seizing an opportunity.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
But didn't people see Vanessa posting on IG in full support of Morgan when all of this came out and consistently posted in support of him even when more details became public? That kind of shows you where her head was at.

That said, she's not the one who committed the crimes. However, if people want to feel icky about her for enabling and supporting him after information became public, then I don't blame them either.

I think this is very true, and I do understand why people might not feel comfortable supporting her.

Personally, however, I do wonder - with the stories surfacing about abuse in pair skating, and also about racism in skating, I wonder if James didn't do what she thought she had to do, to protect herself and her position to the 'establishment'. I wonder if she hasn't been in the system long enough to believe that what Cipres did was somehow ok, and that if she did anything other than show some support, she would be ostracized? I do believe she should have at least said nothing, but I'm also very disillusioned about the pedestals and power of men in the pairs discipline.

for me, her shows of support were vague and in the moment enough that I don't hold them against her (though I do hope she will speak up against him now that time has passed). But I understand if others have different expectations.

MsZem

I see the sea
I agree. So often one partner or another gets condemned by the fans for breaking up a partnership or trying to find another partner that will potentially move them to the next level. I know skating fans wish for the fairytale ending but many examples exists (Kirsten for example) where a partner “trades up” so to speak and after the initial outrage the fans mostly fall in line supporting them and on we go. It would be nice if skaters would do it in an honourable way or act more classy but that’s not always the case.
KMT traded up?

At most she made a lateral move. But yes, some breakups are not ideal but people move on, and fans (mostly) move on.

kirkbiggestfan

4 months until Quebec Summer Championships or Thornhill since they train in Ontario?
5 months until Autumn Classic in Montreal!

Sylvia

TBD
4 months until Quebec Summer Championships or Thornhill since they train in Ontario?
5 months until Autumn Classic in Montreal!
Too early to know if summer competitions will be held in Ontario or Quebec?

No pairs event is scheduled for Autumn Classic International in Montreal.

dramagrrl

For those who have been mentioning Charlie Bilodeau upthread, apparently he is part of this Quebec (French) documentary that is being released on April 29th. It is called Pression and is about six athletes who made it to the Olympics and the pressures they faced along the way. Joannie Rochette and Julianne Seguin are also among the featured athletes (or at least it seems as much from the trailer):

Sylvia

TBD
For those who have been mentioning Charlie Bilodeau upthread, apparently he is part of this Quebec (French) documentary that is being released on April 29th. It is called Pression and is about six athletes who made it to the Olympics and the pressures they faced along the way. Joannie Rochette and Julianne Seguin are also among the featured athletes (or at least it seems as much from the trailer):
I can't get the trailer to play but here it is on IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNvHH45LBGY/
ETA - think I saw a glimpse of Ruest/Wolfe as well?

Xsktrx

KMT traded up?

At most she made a lateral move. But yes, some breakups are not ideal but people move on, and fans (mostly) move on.
Lol. Perhaps I should clarify. I meant she “thought” she was trading up for whatever reason, like Dylan wouldn’t be around for the next Olympics or other considerations. That being said, what a move to a new partner was intended to bring doesn’t always work out and I would agree that most felt Kirsten and Mike were not better than Kirsten and Dylan but the competition in Canada was such that they were able to stay on top for a couple of years not really tested.

RoseRed

Am I missing something in reading these comments about what exactly W/M are thinking or what is being taken away from them (as if James and Radford have an automatic spot)? AFAIK they've said nothing, we have yet another set of fans speaking for them or spelling out what this 'must' mean, and now we are getting comments that they need a reality check? I think the skaters understand they have to deliver in any circumstance-- the fans.. not so sure.
Yeah, I haven't seen any reaction from W/M. People may be assuming based on Kirsten's reaction, since they're friends, and she's been liking a bunch of stuff that they deserve the spot, etc... but they haven't said anything themselves, so that's not fair.

Vase

I say Meghan and Eric were in a class of their own. Maybe had their struggles-twist as mentioned, I personally didn’t think Meghan was the most musical. But they were exciting to watch
Since their retirement I’ve yet to see any ‘wow’ well actually I loved Lubov and Dylan-they ended basically the same time as D/R...even if her jumps were not always there she could sell it and exciting to watch.
I feel Canada needs a team with ‘wow’
Mike and Kirsten, had they had competed with strong competitors this past 4 yrs would they have been given the opportunities to be where they are? Same as W/M they have improved each season and I’m sure no one expected to do what they have done, but timing was in their favour, Canada was lacking teams.
Eric may do that ‘wow’ with Vanessa, but adjusting to new partners and age may interfere in the plan.
im still gonna hope we see ‘wow’ this summer just as I will hope to see them competing.
I’d like to see MTM and W/M change up their elements this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information