2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

suef

I think this is very true, and I do understand why people might not feel comfortable supporting her.

Personally, however, I do wonder - with the stories surfacing about abuse in pair skating, and also about racism in skating, I wonder if James didn't do what she thought she had to do, to protect herself and her position to the 'establishment'. I wonder if she hasn't been in the system long enough to believe that what Cipres did was somehow ok, and that if she did anything other than show some support, she would be ostracized? I do believe she should have at least said nothing, but I'm also very disillusioned about the pedestals and power of men in the pairs discipline.

for me, her shows of support were vague and in the moment enough that I don't hold them against her (though I do hope she will speak up against him now that time has passed). But I understand if others have different expectations.
Insert eye roll.

If her "position" in the figure skating community is more important than supporting a sexual offender, I say good riddance.

Last edited:

Tavi

I’m assuming that James and Radford will be a one and done (as in one year) team because of their ages. It will be interesting to see how Radford manages, stamina-wise.

As for Duhamel, it’s a bit much how she’s airing her/their dirty laundry on social media. Seems a bit....immature to me. I get that she’s upset. She sounds blindsided and she’s out future earnings. But isn’t Eric allowed to do whatever he wants to do? He’s not obligated to her and she was
never going to come back to competition. He also lost some earnings too while she had a baby.

The Julie Marcotte thing certainly adds an interesting twist.
You can do whatever you want to do, but actions have consequences. If it’s true that Meagan and Eric were verbally committed to SOI this fall, he may be liable for breach of contract.

I also think it’s kind of ironic that you’re criticizing her behavior while giving him a big old pass for failing to end their long term partnership respectfully.

mackiecat

Here is a thing Megan said she was told after the release from France was done. From what I understand this was several weeks ago. So she has know for several weeks but chose to do her betrayal post after TSL spilled the beans. It’s not like she just found out even TSL hinted she knew awhile ago. There was an interview a few weeks ago when she said she wouldn’t be skating with Eric ( pretty sure it was the pre worlds review)

Sylvia

TBD
There was an interview a few weeks ago when she said she wouldn’t be skating with Eric ( pretty sure it was the pre worlds review)
Meagan did an Instagram story Q&A last week in which she was asked "Will you be skating with Eric at any point in the future when we are free from covid?" She replied "Unfortunately not!"

@clairecloutier published a lengthy interview with Meagan back on February 13 in her A Divine Sport blog:
Excerpt:
I don’t think anybody’s life has gone as planned in the last year [with the p*ndemic]. I thought we were going to have so many adventures this last year. I was supposed to go on tour in Japan and across Canada with Stars on Ice last spring. And Eric and I were going to perform in the opening ceremonies at Worlds [2020 Worlds in Montreal]. Zoey was going to come along with me for all of that. And it came crashing down.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

With the obvious caveat that the training clips we're seeing are the best moments they can offer: the twist is alarmingly good for as little time as they've been really training. Same with the throws, which was an area of particular interest for me since Vanessa and Eric used different throw techniques with their old partners.

Notably they don't include any lift footage. Possibly they're still building up to that.

skatingguy

decently
I agree. Realistically the teams in Canada with serious 2022 Olympic potential were of course MTM, W/M, Matte/Ferland and Stellato/Deschamps. The others are either too young or too newly formed. None of the newer teams have the past success or international reputation to pull off a 1-2 year partnership and rise to the level needed to be top 2 by 2022. As for Matte/Ferland and Stellato/Deschamps they need to seriously up their games to catch W/M or they’ll need some other factor such as a huge collapse at Nationals, injury or illness to attain that second spot. I doubt we will see too many of the younger or newly formed pairs necessarily pack it in after these Olympics but more likely the older ones will have to do some soul-searching as to whether they have it in them for another four years of training.
Stellato/Deschamps weren't going to get the Olympic berth for 2022 because she's not a citizen, and I'm not even certain she's received her release from the USFS yet.

Xsktrx

Stellato/Deschamps weren't going to get the Olympic berth for 2022 because she's not a citizen, and I'm not even certain she's received her release from the USFS yet.
Thanks for the clarification. Thought I read somewhere she had said in an interview her goal was to be the oldest pairs woman at the Olympics but possibly I imagined that.

Sylvia

TBD
Thought I read somewhere she had said in an interview her goal was to be the oldest pairs woman at the Olympics but possibly I imagined that.
You remembered (sort of) correctly! ;) From Beverley Smith's Stellato/Deschamps article after 2020 Canadian Nationals:
They have lofty goals. Hold onto your hats and toques and mittens. They are taking dead aim at the 2026 Olympics in Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy. Stellato is 36 now, and by 2026, she’ll be 42.
Deschamps, 28, isn’t worried about her age. “Age doesn’t matter for me because we have to do what we have to do,” he said. “The only thing we need to look out for is the recovery part, because the more we get older, the more important it is. We have to be smarter in training.” [...]
“But my goal has always been 2026, if my body can last that long,” she said. “But I’m already too old to be doing this, so I can be too old in six years, too. So what’s the difference?
“When I retired, the Turin Olympics in 2006 were the Olympics I was shooting for as a kid. It would be hilarious if I were at the Olympics in Italy 20 years later.”

Xsktrx

You remembered (sort of) correctly! ;) From Beverley Smith's Stellato/Deschamps article after 2020 Canadian Nationals:
Thanks. Restores my faith in my failing memory...kinda

Sylvia

TBD
Currently known Senior pair teams in Canada (corrections/additions welcomed):

Vanessa James / Eric Radford QC (NEW)

Competed at 2021 Worlds:
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro ON
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud ON

Competed at 2021 Virtual Challenge, placing 1-8:
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro ON
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland QC
Deanna Stellato / Maxime Deschamps QC
Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar ON
Natasha Purich / Bryce Chudak QC
Justine Brasseur / Zachary Daleman ON
Patricia Andrew / Steven Adcock ON
Cassandra Leung / Paxton Fletcher ON
Caidence Derenisky / Raine Eberl SK (WD from Challenge)

Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe QC (did not compete this past season reportedly due to injury?)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I am looking forward to the level of pairs competition in Canada being elevated with several teams pushing each other to be the best they can be. May the best two teams represent us at the Olympics (y)
Me too! I think this is a win win for Canada, I’m very excited for pairs now! We will be there in Ottawa hopefully to watch it live at Nationals ;)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I was rather underwhelmed by the Canadian pairs teams at worlds (I know it's been a difficult year), so I hope this new partnership will make everyone work harder and that the level at 2022 nationals will be much higher.

A lot can happen in a year. Remember in 2017 when Lubov and Dylan were the top Canadian team at worlds and helped get three spots and then they didn't make it to the Olympics. Nothing is a given in sport.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
James/Radford aren't "stealing" any GP assignments from other teams. They are classified as returning skaters and will get GP assignments due to their past world placements. And this is pairs we are talking about where there are always assignments available for pretty much any Sr pairs teams from any country.

Xsktrx

Me too! I think this is a win win for Canada, I’m very excited for pairs now! We will be there in Ottawa hopefully to watch it live at Nationals ;)
I’m with you. The last couple of years have been more of a 2nd through 3rd competition as Kirsten and Mike have not been pressed and don’t have to skate well to get the marks as evidenced by their freeskate at the Challenge where they skated poorly by anyone’s standards, and probably really poorly by their own standards and were gifted a score of 135 which was only 3 off their best international score where they skated beautifully. Pretty much doesn’t matter how they skate in Canada they will be placed 1st but with the pedigree of Vanessa and Eric now Kirsten and Mike will need to deliver as they can’t rely on that formula next year. Should be exciting to see if they can rise to the challenge, who of the other 2 or 3 more senior teams elevates their game and which of the newer teams throws their hat in the ring.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm excited about this new pairing.

Now... Maybe Meagan should surprise us all and come back and compete in Ladies Singles! :)
She could totally pull that off, she has a lot of experience and confidence!

karmena

You can do whatever you want to do, but actions have consequences. If it’s true that Meagan and Eric were verbally committed to SOI this fall, he may be liable for breach of contract.

I also think it’s kind of ironic that you’re criticizing her behavior while giving him a big old pass for failing to end their long term partnership respectfully.
No one is criticizing anyone. It is your interpretation. Rafter gave an opinion, not critique. It is you who are imposing your truth to everyone ( and, if I am not mistaken, not only on this forum)

IMHO opinion Meagan overreacted and, yes, it looks indeed like an immaturity but I want to close my eyes on her weaknesses; who does not have them.

I am immensely happy for the new pair of Vanessa and Eric and wish them both to realize their full potential.

Last edited:

Tavi

No one is criticizing anyone. It is your interpretation. Rafter gave an opinion, not critique. It is you who are imposing your truth to everyone ( and, if I am not mistaken, not only on this forum)

IMHO opinion Meagan overreacted and, yes, it looks indeed like an immaturity but I want to close my eyes on her weaknesses; who does not have them.

I am immensely happy for the new pair of Vanessa and Eric and wish them both to realize their full potential.
If you don’t think that calling someone immature and calling them out for “airing their dirty laundry in public” is criticism, then we understand meaning in English very differently, to say the least.

As to the rest of your post, I don’t “impose my truth” on anyone - and unlike you, apparently, I don’t hide behind different screen names on different forums to comment.

Carolla5501

Some people should just be placed on ignore. The poster you were responding to is one. I looked to see what "entertaining" theories were now being posted. "Breach of contract" for a verbal agreement for a tour that probably won't happen LOL! Good Luck with that! Reminds me of why ignore is such a good feature.

I personally agree with you approach of "closing your eyes to weaknesses" Posters on here tend to act like they are always perfect and are therefore entitled to be judge and jury of everyone else. I bet if the way they handled their personal lives was subject to this 'attack" they would be curled up in a ball crying LOL!

ChiquitaBanana

Some people should just be placed on ignore. The poster you were responding to is one. I looked to see what "entertaining" theories were now being posted. "Breach of contract" for a verbal agreement for a tour that probably won't happen LOL! Good Luck with that! Reminds me of why ignore is such a good feature.

I personally agree with you approach of "closing your eyes to weaknesses" Posters on here tend to act like they are always perfect and are therefore entitled to be judge and jury of everyone else. I bet if the way they handled their personal lives was subject to this 'attack" they would be curled up in a ball crying LOL!
I just love your insight. I totally agree.

ChiquitaBanana

If you don’t think that calling someone immature and calling them out for “airing their dirty laundry in public” is criticism, then we understand meaning in English very differently, to say the least.

As to the rest of your post, I don’t “impose my truth” on anyone - and unlike you, apparently, I don’t hide behind different screen names on different forums to comment.
But there are actions that might be immature, like name calling. That doesn’t mean the person is bad. We all have some relapses at times, even more under stressful conditions. Better said would be “poorer emotional management.”

yeslek

....personally I wouldn't be pouting about my sister-in-law getting paid work in her field in the middle if a global ********* that's ruined millions of careers worldwide, even if it did hurt my feefees, but maybe priorities are different in the skating world.
But it took away her income....

dramagrrl

Charlie Bilodeau posted a clip of the Pression documentary that I mentioned upthread on his Instagram, and it features a reunion scene with him and Julianne skating on an outdoor rink together. They hug each other and both look very happy to see each other. All I can say is that Julianne must be a much more forgiving person than I...

(I think Charlie is awful, but I have to say that seeing them looking happy together made me smile. The S/B uber-fan in me will never die, I guess.)

Xsktrx

Charlie Bilodeau posted a clip of the Pression documentary that I mentioned upthread on his Instagram, and it features a reunion scene with him and Julianne skating on an outdoor rink together. They hug each other and both look very happy to see each other. All I can say is that Julianne must be a much more forgiving person than I...

(I think Charlie is awful, but I have to say that seeing them looking happy together made me smile. The S/B uber-fan in me will never die, I guess.)
Another retired pairs guy missing the spotlight? Comeback for Charlie? Lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information