2019 World Aquatics Championships Thread

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
In case someone wants to watch

This video album has almost all the races (except those of day 1) but every final is there, Olympic Channel USA and/or Raisport

skipaway

Two South Koreans and 4members of the U.S. national water polo teams were among those injured in the late-night accident. Kaleigh Gilchrist, 27, suffered a serious laceration on her leg and underwent surgery Saturday in a hospital, according to USA Water Polo. The Newport Beach, Calif., native was a member of the American squad that won gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics and was part of the team that won a third straight world title on Friday, visiting the Gwangju nightclub later that night to celebrate.

Three other American water polo athletes also suffered injuries when a second-floor interior balcony collapsed inside the club: Paige Hauschild, a 19-year-old University of Southern California student, required stitches for lacerations on her right arm; Johnny Hooper, a 22-year-old from Los Angeles, required stitches on his left hand; and 21-year-old Ben Hallock, who was a member of the U.S. team at the 2016 Olympics, suffered minor scraped on his legs.

Media reports have confirmed that water polo athletes from the United States, Australia and New Zealand were among those at the nightclub.

Accident in SK Nightclub 😥

mrinalini

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Bet we'll hear crickets from her teammates and others...how surprising...NOT!

Not at all. Swimming Australia has already announced a review and investigation and she is suspended. In other words, protocols are being followed correctly. We did not hide it from WADA. No vials were smashed. She is a drug cheat and should be suspended. Just as Sun Yang is a drug cheat and should be suspended.

mrinalini

Not at all. Swimming Australia has already announced a review and investigation and she is suspended. In other words, protocols are being followed correctly. We did not hide it from WADA. No vials were smashed. She is a drug cheat and should be suspended. Just as Sun Yang is a drug cheat and should be suspended.
I'm not talking about that. Her teammates like Horton will conveniently be quiet when the taint of drugs befalls their own kin - I notice Thomas Fraser-Holmes was on the gold medal-winning team in the 4x200 m freestyle relay and I bet there weren't any refusals by his teammates to be on the same podium as him, were there? It is the hypocrisy and double standards that I find revolting; yes, Sun Yang's team smashing his vials is bizarre and wrong, but as of this moment the authorities have cleared him of any wrongdoing and he's innocent until proven guilty. That same standard should be applied to all athletes, and the least you can do is show some class and be on the podium instead of acting like a childish brat, IMO.

The opinion expressed by Richard Ings in the following article expresses exactly how I feel:

misskarne

I notice Thomas Fraser-Holmes was on the gold medal-winning team in the 4x200 m freestyle relay and I bet there weren't any refusals by his teammates to be on the same podium as him, were there?

Has Thomas Fraser-Holmes tried to hide positive results, smashed vials, grabbed opponents' ankles in the practice pool, kicked in their faces, turned around and shouted "I'm a winner you're a loser"? No?

Sun Yang brings this on himself not only by being a cheat but an asshole to boot.

yes, Sun Yang's team smashing his vials is bizarre and wrong

No, it's just wrong. And cheating. And he should immediately have been suspended for it. Because why was he smashing vials if he had nothing to hide?

D

Deleted member 40371

Has Thomas Fraser-Holmes tried to hide positive results, smashed vials, grabbed opponents' ankles in the practice pool, kicked in their faces, turned around and shouted "I'm a winner you're a loser"? No?

Sun Yang brings this on himself not only by being a cheat but an asshole to boot.

No, it's just wrong. And cheating. And he should immediately have been suspended for it. Because why was he smashing vials if he had nothing to hide?
The smashed vial was investigated and cleared by the FINA doping panel. The doping personals had not showed proper accreditation as per the regulations. You don’t just hand your blood samples to someone, this is his defense. The error was with the doping personal. Now there is a CAS hearing in the subject and let them decide. If he fails he will get the life ban. Let the law take its course on the subject.

Many of the bad behavior you mention are talks from Mack Horton’s camp. So not an objective answer. Whether Yang is a terrible person is not the question, the question is whether he broke the anti-doping rules. As of now, on the case of breaking the vile, he is not guilty. That is question, and whether he is terrible person has nothing to do with anti doping rules.

misskarne

The smashed vial was investigated and cleared by the FINA doping panel. The doping personals had not showed proper accreditation as per the regulations.

According to Sun Yang's camp.

Many of the bad behavior you mention are talks from Mack Horton’s camp. So not an objective answer.

So the camp of a known doper is 100% reliable and should be believed at all costs but the camp of a known anti-doper is not reliable and should not be believed on anything. Righto.

D

Deleted member 40371

According to Sun Yang's camp.

So the camp of a known doper is 100% reliable and should be believed at all costs but the camp of a known anti-doper is not reliable and should not be believed on anything. Righto.
What part of an investigation took place do you not understand?, it wasn't about what Sun Yang said, but an independent investigation concluded that Sun Yang was not at fault.

Also, just because they continue to claim they are anti-doping campaigner doesn't necessarily mean their word should be taken as prophecy. Almost all of the American sprinters were anti-doping campaigner until they got caught.

RoseRed

What part of an investigation took place do you not understand?, it wasn't about what Sun Yang said, but an independent investigation concluded that Sun Yang was not at fault.

Also, just because they continue to claim they are anti-doping campaigner doesn't necessarily mean their word should be taken as prophecy. Almost all of the American sprinters were anti-doping campaigner until they got caught.
Isn't part of what they're protesting FINA's handling of the whole thing though? So the fact that an investigation took place isn't going to remove the concerns. The athletes are doing this publicly because the don't trust the governing body to deal with it properly. And you keep saying that he was cleared as if this is something that's over. But it's obviously not, since WADA is appealing. The fact that the drug testing body thinks the governing body of your sport was way too lenient on a known "drug cheat" is an understandable reason to be really upset as an athlete.

And the fact that FINA was warning the athletes who protested was absurd. They're protesting FINA.

D

Deleted member 40371

Isn't part of what they're protesting FINA's handling of the whole thing though? So the fact that an investigation took place isn't going to remove the concerns. The athletes are doing this publicly because the don't trust the governing body to deal with it properly. And you keep saying that he was cleared as if this is something that's over. But it's obviously not, since WADA is appealing. The fact that the drug testing body thinks the governing body of your sport was way too lenient on a known "drug cheat" is an understandable reason to be really upset as an athlete.

And the fact that FINA was warning the athletes who protested was absurd. They're protesting FINA.
The FINA tried to punish but the anti-doping side found fault with the procedure during its own investigation. They would have liked to ban him to avoid controversy, however, the rules were broken by the anti-doping staff. The WADA stepped in after some athletes went ahead and complained, hence the appeal.

The FINA warning to athletes is very appropriate since protesting on the podium is banned, any form. Today it is about Sun Yang, tomorrow someone protests about politics in the middle east. Hence, athletes have been warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Braulio

Back to actal swimming topic

The USA after a bad start really closed the championships with spectacular performances from Caeleb Dressel, Simone Manuel and the new star Regan Smith who at 17 years goes from this championships as the rising star coming to Tokyo 2020; the girl broke the world record for the 200m Backstroke AND took the 100m Backstroke too going 57.47 as the backstroke leg in the medley relay for the USA that later broke the world record for the event too.

In case NBC needed somebody new to hype there they have, Regan Smith; Katie Ledecky is time to gave away the spot!

Caeleb Dressel won 8 medals: 6 golds and 2 silvers for the most in a single championships. Simone Manuel took the 50m Freestyle and with that also set a record with 7 medals for a female swimmer in a single championship; she wasn't the favourite here but showed why she has been the best sprinter since the gold in Rio 2016

Cate Campbell once again failed to deliver when it counts, she took medals but given how she goes every time as the overwhelming favourite ends up again under performing. At least she took another relay gold medal.

Katinka Hosszu set the record when she won the 400m medley for a fifth consecutive time (along with 2016 Olympic Gold)

BaileyCatts

Did I see a commercial that said something like US Nationals are on TV next week, or was that maybe some other swimming event? Why do they have the US Nationals "after" the World Championships?

Seerek

I'd be curious if Regan Smith would focus on just the 100/200 back for the Olympics, or will she really have a go and try for everything, meaning 100/200 butterfly and 200/400 free as well?

Braulio

Did I see a commercial that said something like US Nationals are on TV next week, or was that maybe some other swimming event? Why do they have the US Nationals "after" the World Championships?

They always have this kind of 'summer' nationals every year.

And Regan Smith could swim almost anything while the schedule let her, though I hope she don't push herself; she has to remember the cases of Missy Franklin, Katie Hoff who emerged as teenage phenoms and let the sport in a kind of sad way given the brilliant few years they had but ended up burned after a brief time

Regan could swimm 100m Back, 200m Back, 4x200m Free Relay, 4x100m Medley Relay AND the 200m Butterfly she just won the national title with a time that was even faster than the one that won the world title recently.

Though I would think she will focus just on the backstroke events and relays next year, the 200 free is very deep right now and it could interfere with her chances as the scheduling for the 100 back sets both events the same day. So will be wise to swim 4 events

NBC please let her alone, keep focusing in Ledecky and Dressel

Sylvia

TBD
The smashed vial was investigated and cleared by the FINA doping panel. The doping personals had not showed proper accreditation as per the regulations. You don’t just hand your blood samples to someone, this is his defense. The error was with the doping personal. Now there is a CAS hearing in the subject and let them decide. If he fails he will get the life ban. Let the law take its course on the subject.
Associated Press article (Nov. 15, 2019):
Excerpts:
In a landmark public hearing -- the first in 20 years held in open session by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) -- Sun could be banned from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The CAS judges are not expected to give a verdict until next year, and it was unclear at times how much of the early questions and testimony were exactly understood.
"My apologies for the poor quality of the interpretation," judging panel president Franco Frattini said when the hearing resumed after a break.
The court did not select the translators.
WADA has asked for a ban of between two and eight years, believing Sun voluntarily refused to submit to give samples.
If WADA's appeal is upheld, Sun risks a longer sanction because it would be his second offense. He served a three-month ban imposed by Chinese authorities in 2014 after testing positive for a banned stimulant.
That initial ban was quickly addressed by Sun and his legal team on Friday. He said it was a prescribed medication for a heart issue because he sometimes fainted after training.
Sun Yang's stance on anti-doping testers doesn't wash for Peaty:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

What Adam Peaty say means nothing, what CAS rules is what matters.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm trying not to be too smug about this and failing spectacularly because the guy is just such an asshole.
If you want them to track you like a bloodhound and get a really long ban, be an asshole.
It’s unfortunate that there doesn’t seem to be a protocol for redistribution of prize money. Many of the swimmers he “beat” could use the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information