2019 World Aquatics Championships Thread

ilovepaydays

Official site

Anyone else following? :D

Coverage has already started on the Olympic Channel in diving, artistic swimming, open water swimming, and water polo. Swimming starts this weekend.

love skating

Clueless American
I've been enjoying watching on the Olympic Channel. I'm watching the artistic swimming (previously known as synchronized swimming). I am frustrated though at the overuse of the overhead camera and the other day they didn't show one of the medalists even though they showed like 10 routines or so and yesterday they didn't show the Japanese duet who finished fourth... just strange decisions on who gets shown and who doesn't. Still I'm very happy to see it on tv as we so rarely get to see it at all. I've seen some of the diving too. And yesterday I was watching the open water race. Gosh, five hours of swimming and it came down to a photo finish! Looking forward to the swimming but I like to watch races live and the swimming finals are on really really early for me so I might read spoilers and watch later.

D

Deleted member 40371

Day 1 of the swimming competition and some very exciting results. Arianna Titmus (AUS) defeats Katie Ledeky(USA) in 400 mts. Sun Yang beats Mack Horton (AUS), who protests the non-drug ban by not standing on the podium, bit awkward latter on. USA beat Russia and Australia in the 4*100 mts men's event. Australia defeats USA and Canada in the 4*100 women's events. Adam Peaty (GBR) breaks his own 100 Breastroke record, the new record is 56.88. Great swims also from Caleb Dressel (USA), Sarah Sjostrum (SWE, 100 Fly Women) and Katnika Hosszu (HUN, 200 IM Women).

Aussies win medal in all 4 events, USA is missing out of some finals.

ilovepaydays

Men’s 400m free medal ceremony

I’m still unsure about how I feel about what Mack Horton did. Should Sun Yang have been allowed to compete? He’s certainly had his issues with doping. But were there better ways for Horton to protest? I would say so, but I’m not an Australian. I don’t know if people in that country viewed what he did as being a sore loser or disrespectful.

Speaking of this issue and rivalries, the women’s 100m breaststroke starts tomorrow: Lilly King 🇺🇸 vs Yuliya Efimova 🇷🇺. :watch:

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What Mack did was perfect. Everyone knows Sun Yang is a cheat. Maybe if Mack embarrasses FINA and WADA enough they'll grow spines and stop meekly submitting to whatever the Chinese want.

D

Deleted member 40371

I don’t know how I feel about the whole incident. 1) The FINA’s main administrative wing tried to sanction Sun Yang, but the anti-doping wing of FINA, different from WADA found that the anti-doping officials who went to collect the sample had not followed the proper protocols like showing the accreditation. The problem Sun Yang’s mother had was precisely this. 2) It is the WADA that has appealed this judgement at the CAS, so I don’t know how the WADA and the FINA is favoring the Chinese athletes.

Last edited by a moderator:

misskarne

I don’t know how I feel about the whole incident. 1) The FINA’s main administrative wing tried to sanction Sun Yang, but the anti-doping wing of FINA, different from WADA found that the anti-doping officials who went to collect the sample had not followed the proper protocols like showing the accreditation. The problem Sun Yang’s mother had was precisely this. 2) It is the WADA that has appealed this judgement at the CAS, so I don’t know how the WADA and the FINA is favoring the Chinese athletes.

And the previous time where he tested positive, was given a weak 3-month ban by the Chinese fed who didn't even disclose the positive test to WADA? If anyone else tried that, their asses would have been booted faster than you could say his name! Instead, he was allowed to swim in the Olympics - and allowed to freely kick in the faces of the Australian swimmers, grab them by the leg in practice, and generally behave like an all-round asshole.

Spineless. Spineless cowards, the lot of them. Of course FINA immediately accept that a known drug cheat must be telling the truth that the officials didn't have the correct accreditation. :rolleyes:

kalamalka

Big win for Maggie MacNeil defeating Sarah Sjostrom in the 100m butterfly.
TT
The official website sucks, and the results from fina.org aren't working.
Maggie MacNeil is amazing! Both the big upsets so far have involved thrilling bursts of speed by a young up-and-comer in the last 50 to overtake the multi-time winner.

Agree entirely about the official website and supposedly live results. The best coverage I've found so far is at Swimming World Magazine - they've got notes and results for every race (including heats - at least they list all the qualifiers) shortly after they finish, at least.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Maggie MacNeil is amazing! Both the big upsets so far have involved thrilling bursts of speed by a young up-and-comer in the last 50 to overtake the multi-time winner.

Agree entirely about the official website and supposedly live results. The best coverage I've found so far is at Swimming World Magazine - they've got notes and results for every race (including heats - at least they list all the qualifiers) shortly after they finish, at least.

Thanks!

kalamalka

The women's 200 was really decimated: Ledecky, McKeon, and Ruck all withdrew (and Sjostrom qualified a second ahead of the field).

Choupette

Regarding the FINA website, I had never seen before a "Latest result" listing by default at the top results that will be the last to come up, like in several days. At least, that's what it does on my phone. I guess someone out there misunderstood "latest" as in "furthest in time" rather than "most recent".

MacNeil's win was so refreshing. It's so cool to think she came into the competition expecting nothing and then this happened.

I was very impressed by Sjöström's reaction in the pool. She seemed genuine. When I notice athletes congratulating their opponents like this right after a loss, it always seems to make me like them a lot, and in turn be really happy for them when they do win later on. It strikes something in me.

I'm not a really close follower of swimming, so I had no idea about Rikako Ikee, who is battling leukemia. Of course life is more important than sports, but sports careers are so short and the efforts required are so great that it must add to the heartbreak, especially with the games in her country just next year. I hope she reaches her goal and manage to qualify in an event or another, that in itself would be a feat.

Sylvia

TBD
Support for Rikako Ikee (photo of the Women's 100 Butterfly medalists) :): https://twitter.com/fina1908/status/1153303607984316417

Also:

ilovepaydays

misskarne

More Sun Yang news: Sun Yang won the 200m freestyle about Danas Rapsys (Lithuania) was DQed. Duncan Scott (Great Britain) ended up getting the bronze tied with Martin Malyutin (Russia).

Duncan Scott ended up doing a similar protest at the medal ceremony. Then Sun Yang got in his face afterwards and said “You’re a loser......I’m a winner!”. The linked video clip is INSANE. :eek:

BTW, Sun Yang is scheduled to swim in the 800m freestyle final tomorrow.

And he probably wonders why nobody likes him.

I can't believe FINA is warning Mack and Scott. How about you do something about the fcuking drug cheat you spineless cretins.

Sun Yang is also trying his hardest to make it seem like this whole thing is anti-China. Nah dude, it's not about China, it's about you being a drug cheat. Well, I suppose it's a little about China throwing their weight around to stop their swimmer getting suspended.

D

Deleted member 40371

And he probably wonders why nobody likes him.

I can't believe FINA is warning Mack and Scott. How about you do something about the fcuking drug cheat you spineless cretins.

Sun Yang is also trying his hardest to make it seem like this whole thing is anti-China. Nah dude, it's not about China, it's about you being a drug cheat. Well, I suppose it's a little about China throwing their weight around to stop their swimmer getting suspended.

Well, the world is not the UK, Australia, Canada, and the USA, it is much bigger than that. Sun tested positive and served his time. The vile breaking incident was investigated by the FINA doping panel and was cleared. Another CAS hearing is scheduled and is expected soon, wait till then, if he is guilty he will get the life ban.

As for racism, part of the anger is fueled by racism, remember how Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwan was treated. Ye was 13 years when Michael Phelps coach starting raising questions about her. She was hounded for years with doping allegations without ever testing positive. The girl struggled through puberty and again won a medal here. At the same time, people like Phelps (bong smoking idiot) and Ryan Lochte ( piss drunk guy who makes false allegations against the hosts and then an illegal intravenous infusion on video is given all kinds of excuses, 'boys will be boys', 'he was just drunk', etc.

Let us also not forget how Aussie media makes all bunch of excuses for Sandpaper gate, Smith and Wagner should have been given a lifetime ban for cheating for so long. They got a 14-month ban and now the audiences are not a good sport because they boo these two spineless cretins. Then there is Ben Stoke, the guy is a street thug who should be locked up, but the brits let him loose, now he is going to honored by the queen, hypocrisy at it best.

D

Deleted member 40371

Lily King is DQed for not touching with two hands in 200 m breaststroke and Americans are crying foul. They claim it is because she spoke up against Sun Yang, it seems some can cheat as much as they want.

ilovepaydays

Lily King is DQed for not touching with two hands in 200 m breaststroke and Americans are crying foul. They claim it is because she spoke up against Sun Yang, it seems some can cheat as much as they want.

And......here is a clip of the turn that the DQ was called for.

Closer clip in slower motion

FINA’s issue is that the hands weren't a “simultaneous touch”. I would have awarded her a legal turn.

Aren’t there sensor pads to measure stuff like this so the touches are calculated for strokes like breaststroke and butterfly? Similar to how false starts can be calculated from the blocks in track & field?

Last edited:

misskarne

Let us also not forget how Aussie media makes all bunch of excuses for Sandpaper gate, Smith and Wagner should have been given a lifetime ban for cheating for so long. They got a 14-month ban and now the audiences are not a good sport because they boo these two spineless cretins. Then there is Ben Stoke, the guy is a street thug who should be locked up, but the brits let him loose, now he is going to honored by the queen, hypocrisy at it best.

Warner and Smith are actually a prime example of an occasion where Australia was being morally right. Why? Because no other country would have banned players for ball-tampering for as long as 12 months. No other country would have banned their two best batsmen, one of whom was the captain, either! We know they would not have! Yet the Brits have their mints and the Indians their cough lollies and Afridi can step on the ball but no, Australia was the only one with the moral fortitude to ban players for lengthy suspension. Sandpaper-gate is a poor example here.

I am now hearing that FINA is threatening to take away the medals of protesters? Is this true? This is insanity.

D

Deleted member 40371

Warner and Smith are actually a prime example of an occasion where Australia was being morally right. Why? Because no other country would have banned players for ball-tampering for as long as 12 months. No other country would have banned their two best batsmen, one of whom was the captain, either! We know they would not have! Yet the Brits have their mints and the Indians their cough lollies and Afridi can step on the ball but no, Australia was the only one with the moral fortitude to ban players for lengthy suspension. Sandpaper-gate is a poor example here.

I am now hearing that FINA is threatening to take away the medals of protesters? Is this true? This is insanity.
They should have been banned longer, oh please they got caught red-handed rubbing sandpaper against the ball. They have cheated in so many ways before, here they had no option. Aussie board had no option but to suspend the pair. Nothing of this magnitude has ever happened, they should have been given a lifetime ban for this behavior.

As for moral fortitude, you do know Aussies have on team Thomas Fraser-Homes, who served 12 months suspension for dodging 3 drug tests in one year. He could swim relay along with Horton, what then protest against Thomas by standing on the ground.

ilovepaydays

If true, I’m going to be upset if the swimmers’ sponsors (TYR/Speedo/Arena/etc.) don’t have the swimmers’ back and either end up: 1) staying radio silent and/or 2) not giving their swimmers any bonuses promised in their contracts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

If true, I’m going to be upset if the swimmers’ sponsors (TYR/Speedo/Arena/etc.) don’t have the swimmers’ back and either end up: 1) staying radio silent and/or 2) not giving their swimmers any bonuses promised in their contracts.
Any political or religious protest on the podium was always punishable, now they are going to fully enforce the rule.

asdf334

As for racism, part of the anger is fueled by racism, remember how Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwan was treated. Ye was 13 years when Michael Phelps coach starting raising questions about her. She was hounded for years with doping allegations without ever testing positive. The girl struggled through puberty and again won a medal here. At the same time, people like Phelps (bong smoking idiot) and Ryan Lochte ( piss drunk guy who makes false allegations against the hosts and then an illegal intravenous infusion on video is given all kinds of excuses, 'boys will be boys', 'he was just drunk', etc.

Let's get real here - China brought this kind of suspicion on themselves by the crap they pulled in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information