2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Katha

I think this is a good song choice for SinKats. It's perhaps not super original, but it is great music with lots of potential for good skating and choregraphy. And I can really see Nikita selling it, he just needs to step away from the scenery chewing. :drama: He's done it so far and become much more controlled, keep it up now. And Zhulin needs to step away from the cheesy-bad choreography. Cheesy-good...okay. :D The theme is musicals after all... It might be a bit of a stretch for Viktoria, but she's gotten better at performing and emoting and versatility is needed if they want to be in medal contention for the long term.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Maybe we could leave the merits of various nationalities' pairs teams out of this thread? Or at any rate, try not to argue that "good technique is bad actually"

Eh 'good technique' is what it is. But without personality, and without connecting with an audience, or selecting the right music and choreo, so what! :yawn: In any case, the judges will continue to score how they wish, which as it has always been, is highly political, and not simply based upon objective or subjective factors.

Tinami Amori

Eh 'good technique' is what it is. But without personality, and without connecting with an audience, or selecting the right music and choreo, so what!
Russian pairs' aim is not to please you and match up to your criteria of "personality and connecting"... Their aim is "medals", they have been getting them, and the top 3 teams this year are all podium contenders.... and gosh forbid they ever consider what you probably consider "right music and choreography"... ;)

starrynight

It's a little odd to see a Cleopatra program assembled exclusively from music that has nothing to do with Cleopatra.

Three of the top six ladies from 2019 Worlds are doing Middle Eastern-themed programs this season. Trend!

I remember looking into this from when Tuktamysheva did her Cleopatra program a few years ago. There isn't really music that is Cleopatra in the sense that it was from a soundtrack to a film about her etc that's suitable for a skating program. There's no big Hans Zimmer score that can be pulled out.

So vaguely Ancient Egyptian sounding music is the best bet. The Peter Gabriel choice is good music. This is a much more inspired choice than Carmen.

I understand the focus on character programs. The characters can carry the presentation a lot and make it easier for the skaters to act them out. And it's also fun for the skaters as they can understand what they are meant to be showing.

Although, it does show a lot about how young the skating scene is in Eteri's group when I suspect the enchanting Cleopatra role was chosen for Zagitova to allow her to show her 'maturity' -- when she herself is only just 17 lol. But I'm very interesting to see the costuming they come up with for this.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There's no skateable music from the Liz Taylor movie? I don't remember the score very well (possibly because I've never made it through the entire film!).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
There's no skateable music from the Liz Taylor movie? I don't remember the score very well (possibly because I've never made it through the entire film!).
Tuktamysheva used it a few years ago for her FS. I have to say I quite like the music so I am surprised, Zagitova is doing a "Cleopatra" program without using the soundtrack by Alex North.

starrynight

Tuktamysheva used it a few years ago for her FS. I have to say I quite like the music so I am surprised, Zagitova is doing a "Cleopatra" program without using the soundtrack by Alex North.

I think I sort of felt like it wasn't of the standard of say, the soundtrack to Gladiator which is iconic music.

It was probably a bit of overkill of me to say there wasn't anything 'suitable'.

I think that with a Cleopatra program, people have to start with the character and then go looking for the music. Which is different to when there are grand music scores that people start with first and then add the character to - Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans etc. If you ask me, the story of Cleopatra is crying out for a huge cinematic adaptation with a grand music arrangement.

Tinami Amori

I wish Zagitova was given more interesting program choices (that are also not just characters).. It's strange that the star skater in the camp gets the least interesting music
It maybe "least interesting music" to you, and that's fine, but the 3 composers and the pieces chosen are considered by many timeless masterpieces, used by MANY skaters.

Although, it does show a lot about how young the skating scene is in Eteri's group when I suspect the enchanting Cleopatra role was chosen for Zagitova to allow her to show her 'maturity' -- when she herself is only just 17 lol.
Zagitova does not need to "show maturity" by choosing Cleopatra. Cleopatra was born 69BC, she became the ruler of Egypt (above her brother) in 51BC - at 17, just before she turned 18. At 16, by law, she had to marry her 10-year old brother, as a ritual, to keep power in the family... ;)

imo - there is not. Alex North's suite and the full soundtrack consist of a) elevator music/typical Hollywood costume drama sounds, b) left-over sentiments from "age of atonal", c) "hollywood's idea" of what Roman marches should sound like (with a use of wrong instruments that do not reflect the ones used in those times).

So vaguely Ancient Egyptian sounding music is the best bet.
At that time, Egypt was already not "ancient", it was 1 century BC, and under Roman rule.

"Ancient Egyptian music" was written in 1400 BC.

plus/minus "1 century BC" Egypt's court music was same as Rome..

muffinplus

It maybe "least interesting music" to you, and that's fine, but the 3 composers and the pieces chosen are considered by many timeless masterpieces, used by MANY skaters.

And that's the problem for me, many other skaters and music/image previously used. Eteri's other skaters get more interesting programs. Valieva's program done by Eteri. Daniil's best program IMO last year was Kostornaia's short (the music for which was previously used, but it was well done). I don't know why Zagitova is getting warhorses and timeless classics.

Why doesn't Eteri choreograph for Zagitova BTW (last program was Don Quixote?) ?

Last edited:

starrynight

Zagitova does not need to "show maturity" by choosing Cleopatra. Cleopatra was born 69BC, she became the ruler of Egypt (above her brother) in 51BC - at 17, just before she turned 18. At 16, by law, she had to marry her 10-year old brother, as a ritual, to keep power in the family... ;)

^^^ post quoted

Steady on, I wasn't criticising Zagitova or Eteri. So no need for these gymnastics lol.

The story of Cleopatra which has cemented itself in the public awareness is that of the powerful, intelligent, seductress who rolled out of a carpet to beguile Mark Antony.

Everyone was a child once, but I think this the version of Cleopatra that would be shown in a program.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

And that's the problem for me, many other skaters and music/image previously used. Eteri's other skaters get more interesting programs. Valieva's program done by Eteri. Daniil's best program IMO last year was Kostornaia's short (the music for which was previously used, but it was well done). I don't know why Zagitova is getting warhorses and timeless classics.
Look...... we have not had any top-10 skaters using "Cleopatra" since 2014/15 season......
That deserves a gold medal by itself.. :D

The story of Cleopatra which has cemented itself in the public awareness is that of the powerful, intelligent, seductress who rolled out of a carpet to beguile Mark Antony.
a) it was Julius Caesar..

b) according to that Hollywood film... a costume drama...

In reality, Cleopatra first sent her representatives to Caesar (August 46 BC), and negotiations failed, she traveled to Alexandria in person, and then to Rome, in a status of "client queen of Roman territory", to offer her alliance and her self to Caesar. Before the "alliance" was formed, the records indicate she was already not a virgin. A year later she had his son.

Last edited:

Dobre

Look...... we have not had any top-10 skaters using "Cleopatra" since 2014/15 season......
That deserves a gold medal by itself.. :D

No gold medals for re-using The Feeling Begins. The feeling is way past beginning at this stage. (I didn't care for her Samson & Delilah program so at this point I'm just crossing my fingers that this one is somehow better choreographed than that).

starrynight

Krylova and Ovsyannikov's Cleopatra was excellent in its costuming and choreography. Krylova lives and breathes Cleopatra.

But again, Ive always felt like a little something was missing from the music.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

No gold medals for re-using The Feeling Begins.
The programme is "Cleopatra". "The Feeling Begins" is used by someone every year and no one complained before.. :2faced:

I didn't care for her Samson & Delilah program so at this point I'm just crossing my fingers that this one is somehow better choreographed than that.
You mean the one with which she won GP-France, GPF, World Junios and European Youth Olympics?​
The International Panel of Judges "cared" and "liked" it... ;)
I think there is a good probability Alina will do fine with the theme. She's got the "moves"...​
The "Tatar culture and style of dance"..​
The look..​
Of course..... i'd rather she was representing a "Snake that bit Cleopatra"..... but that's not going to happen.. :lol:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

Colonel Green

“The new short program is an Oriental program, the story of Cleopatra with a hip-hop part,” commented Richaud.
:D
Cleopatra is an odd character fit for Satoko.

Mad for Skating

Alina Zagitova - FS "Cleopatra"

Music is : Peter Gabriel - the feelings begin. Maurice Jarre - Lawrence d’Arabie ouverture. Khatir Hicham - Ramses.

Hmm, I think this should be interesting. I’m not against it, but I think she will need good choreography, and I’m not sure if Daniil is the one to deliver it.

Ka3sha

Alina Zagitova - FS "Cleopatra"

Music is : Khatir Hicham - Ramses.
Anna Scherbakova used to skate to this music three years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3X_n-8ROzQ (~3:40)
Choreo also by Gleikhengauz ;)

Looks like things have changed, she deleted her post about Marianelli LP and edited post about Twilight program:
In the new season in my free program I will be appearing as Bella from Twilight. Music for the program : Blue Foundation - Eyes On Fire, Muse - supermassive Black Hole.

Last edited:

DobrinFan

Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov
FD: Antonín Dvořák: Gypsy Melodies, Op. 55, B. 104 - Songs My Mother Taught Me
performed by Nemanja Radulovic

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

Krylova and Ovsyannikov's Cleopatra was excellent in its costuming and choreography. Krylova lives and breathes Cleopatra.

But again, Ive always felt like a little something was missing from the music.
The music they used is from "Gladiator".

muffinplus

Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov
FD: Antonín Dvořák: Gypsy Melodies, Op. 55, B. 104 - Songs My Mother Taught Me
performed by Nemanja Radulovic

It's this piece? It's nice... but doesn't excite me for some reason...not sure what they'll do with it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information