2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

aftershocks

Banned Member
Gotta say... this is an amazing fit. If any of the current crop of skaters can do this haunting music justice, it's Jason.

As did Jason's friend before him, Joshua Farris. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVgYB3DPhw
I'm looking forward to seeing Jason's & David's interpretation of this classic.

I've always loved Paul Wylie's pioneering interpretation in exhibition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgZkY6vAyY

ETA:
:D so i guess it is now Orser who is re-using Tutberidze's programme....

This program music never belonged to nor did it originate with Tutberidze!

AFAIK, Paul Wylie was the first skater to use the Schindler's List music in the early 1990s

:scream:
And all of you people were complaining about the S&G program last year?

:huh: SchLst exists on an entirely different planet in a different universe, whereas last season's S&G selection was very close to being a scary black hole...

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Then tell the same to posters who made insinuations that "Tuberidize is giving Tursynbaeva Dance Macabre to copy Orser/Yuna Kim"..;)

:lol: Well, Orser/Yu Na did not own Danse Macabre either, but I def wouldn't put anything of the nature you are describing past Tutberidze! :drama:

Saint-Saëns owns Danse Macabre -- choreographers, dancers and skaters just borrow it. Unless or until a performer/ athlete manages to dance/ skate to a definitive version, with great choreo ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

Yu Na's version of DM was okay, but not memorable in the way that Michelle Kwan's Rachmaninoff sp remains in many skating fans' memories, IMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5Dd-Wm-DE Yu Na 2009 Danse Macabre (primarily an amazing technician)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk Kwan 1998 Rachmaninoff (a well-rounded artist, 6.0 GOAT)

Japanfan

Gotta say... this is an amazing fit. If any of the current crop of skaters can do this haunting music justice, it's Jason.

I know this music has been used a lot but I really think this could be a great program for Jason.

I would actually think the opposite, as I think of Jason as happy/happy-go-lucky and first and foremost an entertainer.

I've never seen him as having much depth, but that's just a perception of course and I could be wrong.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Schindler's List.

Has Wilson choreographed for him before?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I would actually think the opposite, as I think of Jason as happy/happy-go-lucky and first and foremost an entertainer.

I've never seen him as having much depth, but that's just a perception of course and I could be wrong.

Wilson did last year's Simon and Garfunkel dreck.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

I've seen this take before, and I need to say I'm not really sure where it comes from?:confused: (and I realize you were only talking about perceptions).

The Piano. Tristan & Iseult. Inner Love. None of them "entertaining" or "happy". Simon & Garfunkel, whatever we think of it, was not happy go lucky. Jason has not done a "happy" LP in like, ever:confused: (I even consider Riverdance to be partially dramatic, certainly the ending). And Jason IMO brought soul, drama, and depth to those LPs (well, as much as he could to S&G;)).

I sometimes think folks confuse Jason's personality with his performance chops.

This LP, if Wilson doesn't screw it up, could play to Jason's strengths in a major way and I can't wait:saint:.

VGThuy

Jason's 2016-2017 LP performance to a Michael Nyman piece from The Piano made me think of Jason differently from the "happy-go-lucky entertainer" I had perceived him to be beforehand even if people still thought that program was still "dancey" and not artistic in the Joshua Farris mode or however people create those categories in their head.

I've seen this take before, and I need to say I'm not really sure where it comes from?:confused: (and I realize you were only talking about perceptions).

The Piano. Tristan & Iseult. Inner Love. None of them "entertaining" or "happy". Simon & Garfunkel, whatever we think of it, was not happy go lucky. Jason has not done a "happy" LP in like, ever:confused: (I even consider Riverdance to be partially dramatic, certainly the ending). And Jason IMO brought soul, drama, and depth to those LPs (well, as much as he could to S&G;)).

This LP, if Wilson doesn't screw it up, could play to Jason's strengths in a major way and I can't wait:saint:.

I think it's because Jason's most notable successes were with programs that utilized his more enthusiastic performance skills. I mean Riverdance did hit the public beyond our little corner of figure skating fandom so I think that plus his follow-up with Juke and his personality in general gives people that impression. If they're like me, they probably don't play that close attention to him the way we should before categorizing him.

Plus, he actually utilizes actual dance and dance language into his movement in his programs and doesn't do the usual classic skating way of movement when it comes to lyrical style that makes people get that impression as well as some people still thought he was more of a "choreographed artist" rather than a "natural one" or whatever that popular narrative was back then.

Japanfan

The Piano. Tristan & Iseult. Inner Love. None of them "entertaining" or "happy". Simon & Garfunkel, whatever we think of it, was not happy go lucky.

I actually don't remember the first three programs you mention at all, which is strange. The only program I really remember for Jason is 'Riverdance', actually, but I don't see that as a dramatic or heavy program. IMO.

And IMO, his Simon & Garfunkel was sort of lightweight.

I'm certainly open to changing my mind about Jason - am not attached to my perception.

This LP, if Wilson doesn't screw it up, could play to Jason's strengths in a major way and I can't wait:saint:.[/QUOTE]

aftershocks

Banned Member

Yes, and I will add that Jason skated a divine Liebstraume his final year in Juniors (2012 - 2013) -- he had been skating senior domestically since 2011. Below is JB's 2013 US Nats performance -- not skated error-free, but still gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddz6KpcPV-Q a lovely costume too :encore:

ETA: Here's JB's GPF Liebestraume: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEb0r4di15g

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The best version of Liebestraume was the one he did at 2013 Junior Worlds, but that video appears to have been yoinked off Youtube.

barbarafan

That's insane. It's been 10 years. :rofl:

FWIW, I doubt Tursy has the kind of presence or tension to pull off Danse Macabre. She didn't pull off the tango last season at all.
She has always been very reserved but this year she seemed almost robotic. I do think she is very artistic though and if anyone can pull that out of her great.

Ka3sha

Alena Kostornaia
SP:
In the new season in my short program I will be appearing as Bella from Twilight. Music for the program : Blue Foundation - Eyes On Fire, Muse - supermassive Black Hole.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdCwtlIQQa/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ardcxjx82asx
LP:
In my free program, I will dissolve in the music of composer Dario Marianelli - No One Ever Called Me That.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdDtc_okzU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vcv7i366mfxn

VGThuy

At least the SP choice is age-appropriate haha. Interesting that Twilight is still relevant.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Tavi

I find this worrisome. IMO this music needs subtle interpretation, or it becomes OTT. It IS a tragic topic and haunting piece of music. In and of itself the music tells the story. It does not need flamboyance to make it's point.

I’d say Jason’s Piano FS demonstrates that he’s quite capable of restrained, elegant movement and storytelling. And unlike most skaters who’ve used SL previously, he’s Jewish.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Thank you @Japanfan and @VIETgrlTerifa for your thoughts. Jason fans feel like we’ve lived and breathed the Piano for so long, it’s difficult to remember that not everyone has the same experience. And I do remember that business about “choreographed” musicality, whatever that may be (I’m thinking random bleat from Johnny Weir, IIRC). If someone’s vision of Jason is starts and ends with Riverdance, and his SPs, I could see the confusion.

But for those of us who have seen the sophisticated passion that Jason can bring to the right piece of music, we have hopes that this SL will rise above its almost warhorse status.

And I only hope he keeps that Ina Bauer:saint:

jenny12

Kostornaia easily me favorite Russian skater and I love her long program choice. As much as I enjoy her, however, I can't say I was a fan of her Twilight exhibition, so I'm not sure if this is the best choice for her short program but hopefully she can make it work. I'm not a a huge fan of Muse, tbh. "Supermassive Black Hole" sounds like a glorified Britney Spears song IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information