2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
It has to be top ten. As far as it goes, I think he has a solid shot. If he skates like he did at SCI or 4CC, I think he will.

It does? Man the rules change so much I can never keep up anymore… Is it because there’s only one entrant and that’s why it has to be top 10? And I don’t mean to deviate the topic of this thread

Lilia A

Yes, when only one skater represents a country you need a top 2 finish for 3 spots and top 10 for 2 spots.

RoseRed

I guess Skate Canada only sent Schizas to get her minimums in case Bausback didn't get hers. In all likelihood the decision was made after the short program.
This is what I'm thinking as well, and if Emily was told that before the event, then they probably did need to honour that and send her.
SC needs to pay more attention to the late bloomers when handing out assignments. It's madness that they sent Orzel and Gran to the JGP ahead of Schizas, after Schizas massively outscored them at summer comps (and finished 2nd in juniors last year!) Even I, a total nobody, could see all her potential at last year's nats. Difficult base value is obviously great but so is quality, and I'd say the odds of Schizas increasing her difficulty to be truly competitive internationally are better than those girls attaining the GOE, pcs and rotations needed to be competitive.
That's not really accurate though. At Minto (late July), Amelia beat Madeline by ~8 points (Amelia was 1st with ~135, Madeline was 3rd with ~127 in Jr women group 1). Olivia's score at Wild Rose (beginning of August) was about the same as Amelia's at Minto. At North York summer skate (mid/late August), Madeline had a higher score by ~10 points (~152 to ~142), but they were in different groups. Olivia had ~134 at BC/YK skate at the same time.

To me, there was no clear cut choice between Madeline and Amelia based on their two summer events. Certainly not "madness". I'd have given it to Madeline over Olivia though. We also don't know how people looked at the Next Gen camp, which probably played a role in the selections.

The bigger thing is that they need to list more subs, so that they can move people around more easily. Because the entries for a lot of the events were already in before Madeline had her stronger event at North York, but I don't think they had a lot of subs for Olivia's event in Russia, so they couldn't give Madeline that one (or move say Amelia there), and there were only three left. 2 were 2nd events for Kaiya (very deserved) and Alison (fair based on JW last year), and the other one was Amelia (obviously now we'd go Madeline over her, but like I said the summer events were split, so not madness).

honey

This Instagram post from Madeline would indicate that she was under consideration for the teams. She says she was “disappointed” to not be named to a team, but will be cheering for the girls in Tallinn and Montreal. Very classy response to this whole situation.

I still feel awful for her.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What would it take for Canadian ladies to retain two spots for the following Worlds? If, say, Alicia ends up 11th and Emily 13th, would Canada keep two spots for 2021?

Colonel Green

What would it take for Canadian ladies to retain two spots for the following Worlds? If, say, Alicia ends up 11th and Emily 13th, would Canada keep two spots for 2021?
If they both made the free skate, either finishing in the top twelve would do it.

The lowest combination of ordinals that would work is 13+15.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If they both made the free skate, either finishing in the top twelve would do it.

The lowest combination of ordinals that would work is 13+15.

So it’s definitely do-able. It’s not as if the rest of the competitors come from Russia, Japan and Korea or are named Bradie.

Colonel Green

So it’s definitely do-able. It’s not as if the rest of the competitors come from Russia, Japan and Korea or are named Bradie.
It’s an outside shot, as there are a lot of small fed European ladies who have been outperforming ours this year.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think we all more or less expect the top 10 to be the three Russians, the three Japanese, the two Americans, and the two Koreans. The best bet for Pineault (or I suppose Bausback but I'm not 100% confident on her) is to skate a clean short and get into that 7-12 group for the free skate. That ice break between warm-up groups two and three can sometimes do wonders for PCS and GOE ;)

If Loena Hendrickx is back for Worlds, she's a potential wildcard. Otherwise, I think the Canadians can be competitive with skaters like Paganini and whichever other Europeans have strong showings that week. There's obviously a huge space between the 10 and the rest of the field.

ETA- Tursynbaeva is definitely out for the full season, right?

Rafter

Awful decision by Skate Canada IMO. Bausback will get absolutely hammered on the PCS at worlds I think. Plus she’s very inconsistent with the jumps.

I wonder what this does to Schizas’s confidence, getting these kinds of results at competitions but the Federation has no support in you. I guess a lack of a 3lutz and the lack of a big name coach really held Schizas back in this situation. And we all know how much Skate Canada loves their big name coaches. How long did it take until Cotop switched to Walia again? Lol.

Btw, does Bausback even have a 3-3? At least Schizas does.

okokok777

Btw, does Bausback even have a 3-3? At least Schizas does.

She has a 3F-3T, 3S-3T and a 2A-3T (she attempts the former in the SP and the latter two in the FS). IIRC she has the highest BV of the current Canadian ladies. But she's losing points to the others in the spins & PCS - so the technical advantage isn't as apparent.

barbarafan

She really needs to; it's the required solo SP jump for junior ladies next year.
IF Emily was promised the spot there would be an outcry if she did not get it. Perhaps they offered Madeline a consolation prize...like a host spot at Skate Canada.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Unfortunately IMO the sceanario for canadian ladies is just looking even worse in the near future, don't think that neither of Bausback or Pinault are top 10 capable so canadian ladies will go down to 1 spot next year and probably until 2022 Olympics unless Daleman recovers herself

greenapple

At the very least, one would hope that Skate Canada will be inviting Schizas to Worlds as an observer so she can experience the competition - rather than just being thrown in headfirst next year (which is a strong possibility if she continues her upward swing) - when there will be twice as much pressure.

puglover

I think this day was inevitable and the writing was on the wall. If Kaetlyn had competed longer and Gabby not had as many issues, and Alaine continued to progress, these current girls could have developed at their own rate out of the spotlight and gone to a worlds as the 2nd or 3rd with no real expectations other than to gain experience. The reality is they are on the big stage without as many of the tools and competitions under their belt that would make them really competitive. I really feel for them and am not sure that winning these spots is really much of a win. JMHO but I hope these skaters, their coaches, SC, and the fans are realistic. Forget future spots and holding on to two - and even making the free skate - I hope they are not buried with the pressure of these goals. If they skate close to their potential, feel the love of a home audience, enjoy the experience and are motivated in a positive way - then I think we can look to the future with more hope.

Last edited:

Katta

I think that the issue is that Kayla was selected for JW right away and therefore there was only 1 spot available at each and 3 deserving ladies...

Colonel Green

The bigger thing is that they need to list more subs, so that they can move people around more easily. Because the entries for a lot of the events were already in before Madeline had her stronger event at North York, but I don't think they had a lot of subs for Olivia's event in Russia, so they couldn't give Madeline that one (or move say Amelia there), and there were only three left.
That's kind of a larger question of approach, because Skate Canada doesn't really do that. Once they give you a JGP assignment, it's yours unless you have to withdraw for health reasons or something like that.

Unfortunately IMO the sceanario for canadian ladies is just looking even worse in the near future, don't think that neither of Bausback or Pinault are top 10 capable so canadian ladies will go down to 1 spot next year and probably until 2022 Olympics unless Daleman recovers herself
Depends on what you mean by "near future". The current situation heading into 2020 Worlds is largely because two of our most established/promising senior ladies have been sandbagged by injuries for two consecutive years. That can't happen a third straight year...right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information