2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It must have been a hard decision. Really Schizas was overlooked all year. Second in juniors last year, skated well at her summer competitions but no JGP assignment. Her success rate internationally relative to her experience is very good. It's just a shame she didn't get a chance to earn an ISU season best score. I would send her to another competition this season.

We're likely going down to one spot for next year in senior. Honestly both qualifying for the free would be an achievement this year (if they skate well they should). I'm still excited about the potential for the future though. Hopefully Bausback, Schumacher, Schizas, Pineault and Ruiter will push each other the next few years.

Flora

They must be basing it on Emily's scoring potential. After the last two events, how could they otherwise justify their decision. Or maybe Mcleod politiked really, really hard for her...

Lilia A

I'm sorry but this sucks. Skate Canada sucks, for many reasons.

Why not send Schizas to Junior Worlds then? Better yet, keep Emily on the JW team and send Schizas to senior worlds.

Oh well, I guess having just one spot for worlds next year was something I've expected all season long. Still, this sucks.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Catherine M

Skate Canada has always, always, always played political games. And this is no different.

Lets see, skater with no name coach goes to Challenge Cup, skates really well, wins a medal ahead of skater with named coached. So skater with named coach gets the worlds' spot!?! Crazy

Colonel Green

I can see how it would have been weird to not send either their men's or ladies' champion. But still a really tough decision.
If I had to guess, it was a combination of the national title and deciding to Hail Mary on base value. Emily attempts two Lutzes and a flip, as well as a backloaded triple-triple in the free. On the off chance she delivered that, she’d probably place reasonably well.

Since in all likelihood neither will place well enough to keep two, that contrarily makes the stakes lower.

I don’t know enough about Madeline to know what those in the know feel her prospects are about getting the bigger toe jumps. Does she do a Lutz in practice but it’s not ready yet for competition? Or is it a case where she just can’t make it work or the edge is so bad that it’d get the full ‘e’?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I'm sorry but this sucks. Skate Canada sucks, for many reasons.

Why not send Schizas to Junior Worlds then? Better yet, keep Emily on the JW team and send Schizas to senior worlds.

Oh well, I guess having just one spot for worlds next year was something I've expected all season long. Still, this sucks.

I get your frustration.

At this point I truly do think Scihizas would score even higher than Alicia at worlds.

All the other girls are consistent for being inconsistent. Even though I don’t know that much about Schizas What I do know is that the girl is consistent. And quite interesting to watch.

It’s not like the decision was between Osmond and Schizas. It was between a handful of up and comers all of whom are risks. I would send the one with the least amount of risk .... Schizas!!

And to be quite honest I’d pick Schizas over Alicia as well!

honey

This is pretty much BS is my view to give Schizas nothing. Not a great look when she has the highest international score of any woman in the country.

I can see the justification for sending Emily to senior worlds. She did win nationals and truth be told, if they hadn’t raised the minimums before nationals, she probably would have been named to be the team outright after nationals and this wouldn’t even be a conversation.

And this is just my opinion of course, but it is not particularly justifiable to send Schumacher to junior worlds over Schizas. They can’t even use the excuse of nationals placements being the only factor, because they already assigned Pineault to worlds who finished behind all of them at nationals (I agree with sending Pineault, but just for sake of argument).

This just seems so discouraging for someone like Madeline. She got passed over for jgp assignments, has been proving herself the entire season and gets nothing for it? Hope this all works out for Skate Canada :shrug

okokok777

So what do they need to place to keep two spots for Canada ladies?

The total placements have to be equal to or less than 28. The most realistic scenario would be each skater ending up in the top 14.

The other scenarios would be that one skater qualifies for the FS and the other ends up in the top 12 or one skater ends up in the top 10.

Lilia A

So what do they need to place to keep two spots for Canada ladies?

Added placements need to be no more than 28 points.
If you make the free skate, you get whatever your final placement is but no more than 16 (so places 17-24 get 16 points).
If you don't make the free skate, you get 18 points.

So, if only one lady makes the free skate, she needs a top 10 finish. If both make the free skate, their placements need to add up to 28 or less (keeping in mind that the maximum points you get is 16 if you place 17-24).

To get three spots they need 13 points, but that's never going to happen so we can move on.

Vase

I’m with ya’s on this, Schizas should’ve been sent somewhere. What is skate Canada thinking.

Zazy

I guess Skate Canada only sent Schizas to get her minimums in case Bausback didn't get hers. In all likelihood the decision was made after the short program.

SC needs to pay more attention to the late bloomers when handing out assignments. It's madness that they sent Orzel and Gran to the JGP ahead of Schizas, after Schizas massively outscored them at summer comps (and finished 2nd in juniors last year!) Even I, a total nobody, could see all her potential at last year's nats. Difficult base value is obviously great but so is quality, and I'd say the odds of Schizas increasing her difficulty to be truly competitive internationally are better than those girls attaining the GOE, pcs and rotations needed to be competitive.

Erin

Banned Member
I guess Skate Canada only sent Schizas to get her minimums in case Bausback didn't get hers. In all likelihood the decision was made after the short program.

SC needs to pay more attention to the late bloomers when handing out assignments. It's madness that they sent Orzel and Gran to the JGP ahead of Schizas, after Schizas massively outscored them at summer comps (and finished 2nd in juniors last year!) Even I, a total nobody, could see all her potential at last year's nats. Difficult base value is obviously great but so is quality, and I'd say the odds of Schizas increasing her difficulty to be truly competitive internationally are better than those girls attaining the GOE, pcs and rotations needed to be competitive.

I agree with all this post. I will say that, while I hope she is not discouraged by what happened this year, if she is the real deal, Schizas should still have lots of chances in the future to prove it. There have been other late bloomers like Schizas who were passed over for JGP assignments - in particular, Kaetlyn Osmond didn’t receive any in the fall of 2011 and then went on to finish third at 2012 Canadians. In the end, I don’t think the lack of JGPs really hurt her. I can also think of times when Skate Canada made what I considered the “wrong” decision and it did turn out to be a bad choice in the short run but not that big of an impact on the long run. One that comes to mind is naming Ben Ferreira over Jeff Buttle to Worlds in 2004 immediately after Canadians and not waiting for 4CC...Jeff ended up winning 4CC and Ben didn’t do great at either 4CC or Worlds, but Jeff ended up coming back strongly the next season and finished second at Worlds.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that while I don’t agree with this decision, I’m going to try not to be too bothered by it. Hopefully Madeline can take some value from the experience and results she did get and focus on next season. And preferably show up with a triple lutz.

ChiquitaBanana

Skate Canada criteria for JGP is to have a triple lutz. Schizas didn’t have one. That’s the only logical reason I can make out of it.
We want more competitiveness and constant skates from our girls. Make them go against each other as many times as you can and always select the one finishing first. It will force the other to always outperform themselves...

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Emily had a bad skate. 5 elements had negative GOE's which includes 2 falls which of course had all -5's.
As well she had an underrotation and a downgrade.
Madeline had no underrotations and negative GOE's on the flip and loop only..small negatives on a few judges for the flip and medium negative GOE's on that loop accross the board...Interesting that her PCS are getting close to her Tes score.
Question......whose technique is better overrall?
I dont think you can compare this skate when she fell an injured her back right near the start, compare their body of work. I think she still has the edge technic wide but Madeline is better artistically. I am good with their decisions either way. Also the coaches do have input as well, perhaps they dont want to push Madeline, she is younger, recently got her higher triples etc

Reactions: mag

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
And hey, if the lutz ain't coming, go for 3axel or quad Madeline! Its strange to me that no canadian ladies try these jumps, I know they're hard and all...

Colonel Green

And hey, if the lutz ain't coming, go for 3axel or quad Madeline! Its strange to me that no canadian ladies try these jumps, I know they're hard and all...
Learning jumps is progressive. If you can’t master a triple Lutz or a triple-triple (the latter not an issue for Madeline, obviously, but it is for some others), the odds of getting a quad or a triple Axel are low indeed.

Alaine did train a triple Axel for a bit (right before her downhill slide started). Kaetlyn said in a recent interview that she and Ravi also mooted the idea at one point but decided against it — though that’s not surprising since in other interviews she described the Axel as her least-favourite jump. Gabrielle also used to have ambitions to do a quad, but obviously the last two years have relegated that to pretty far down the priority list.

Jammers

I get that having a triple lutz is a must for a Senior lady but with the way Emily has been skating compared to Schizas why not go with the hot hand? It's not like Emily is a two time National champion who had a bad skate at the wrong time. Maybe Skate Canada thought it was a bad look if both of their singles Nationals champions didn't go to Worlds. :shuffle:

barbarafan

I dont think you can compare this skate when she fell an injured her back right near the start, compare their body of work. I think she still has the edge technic wide but Madeline is better artistically. I am good with their decisions either way. Also the coaches do have input as well, perhaps they dont want to push Madeline, she is younger, recently got her higher triples etc
Are you sure she was injured....I just missed her skate so only looked at the protocols.

Colonel Green

Is that a 6.0 mentality, kind of? I would think a 3-3 and/or high level spins and steps are more important.
No, not really. Obviously having a 3-3 is important too, but a Lutz is certainly more important than step sequence levels (and pretty much anybody* can do a level 4 spin). If hypothetically Skate Canada was trying to drag the level of ladies' skating higher, mandating a triple Lutz would be just about the minimum they could do.

* who trains at this level.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I get that having a triple lutz is a must for a Senior lady but with the way Emily has been skating compared to Schizas why not go with the hot hand? It's not like Emily is a two time National champion who had a bad skate at the wrong time. Maybe Skate Canada thought it was a bad look if both of their singles Nationals champions didn't go to Worlds. :shuffle:

It will be even the worst look if neither ladies make it to the free program in their home country. I think Schizas for sure would have. For the other ones I’d have to look away during their jumps.

Also I know this is not the correct thread but how confident are you all that Nam can finish in top 13?

Whatever the scenarios I keep my fingers crossed for Team Canada! ⛸⛸⛸

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information