2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Seerek

The worst case scenario for SC would be also going down to 1 spot for Junior Worlds for 2021, though I suspect they're somewhat confident that Kaiya will be top 10/12 so they're not as particular as to who gets the second berth.

Colonel Green

The worst case scenario for SC would be also going down to 1 spot for Junior Worlds for 2021, though I suspect they're somewhat confident that Kaiya will be top 10/12 so they're not as particular as to who gets the second berth.
That will probably be a near-run thing as well, honestly, just based on the lineup of other skaters and Kaiya's low GOE elements.

Erin

Banned Member
I think they are going to leave Schumacher home, which is unfortunate. I think her skating and carriage is vastly superior to Bausback's, and ahead of Schizas's. She is more reserved, but what a great opportunity it would be to get even more exposure to higher level skaters at Junior or Senior worlds and learn to perform.

Schumacher has gotten exposure to higher level skaters at Junior Worlds last year and 4CC this year. She did get an ISU championship with the 4CC assignment so it’s not like she was shut out entirely. She does have nice basic skating but she also gets hit with underrotations and downgrades a lot.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I think they are going to leave Schumacher home, which is unfortunate. I think her skating and carriage is vastly superior to Bausback's, and ahead of Schizas's. She is more reserved, but what a great opportunity it would be to get even more exposure to higher level skaters at Junior or Senior worlds and learn to perform. However, from little I've seen of Schizas, she is one to watch and has shown she has good nerves for competition. I loved her SP.

Bausback is national champion but she has subsequently been beaten by Schumacher, Schizas and Pineault in little more than 1 month. However, Skate Canada went to the trouble of sending her to another competition after 4CC to get the SP minimum, which says something.

The other question is, who is least likely to be devastated by not making it through to the FP at senior worlds and learn from it.... Not saying it will happen but it's still a real possibility.

Tough decision.

I don’t know, I think whoever has the highest short program scores since Canadian nationals should get the two spots.

First we need to make sure they can even qualify to the long program…

I just said the word we, LOL I’m feeling like I’m a natural born Canuuk all the way down in Los Angeles

tee-hee

Marco

The immediate instinct is of course to send Schizas to Sr Worlds.

However, as promising as she is, when looking in closely, Challenge Cup itself was not a particularly well skated event beyond the top 2. Schizas really only landed 2axels, 3toes and 3sals in the free to medal. The flip was shaky and neither loops in the short and free were clean. She did not even attempt a lutz. Don't know how that will hold up at Worlds. This isn't 2012 and she isn't Kostner.

Bausback had a nightmarish skate here (and well, at 4CCs too all things considered) but her scoring potential is higher with a harder 3/3 in the short, and 7 triples planned in the free.

I guess the choice is not that stressful if SkCan accepts the inevitable fate that they will go down to 1 spot for next Worlds. If short program cleanliness and making the free skate are the two main criteria, then definitely send Schizas. If they have faith that Pinault can achieve this, I can see them sending Bausback just for experience - she stands to give bigger returns in the medium to long run when she finally shakes off her demons.

My personal pref is Schizas by a mile, and if SkCan wanna save some face, they can send Bausback to Jr Worlds. She and Schumacher scored and placed close at both Nationals and 4CCs but at least she is National Champ. Alternatively, is there some sort of post-Worlds WTT or TCC to send her?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Well I thought about it more when I was working out tonight… Send Schizas.

In the SP she scored over 60 points and that’s with a step out on her single triple jump. I think she’s the most artistic skater of all the Canadian ladies and she beat Emily by a mile.

She also had no falls throughout the competition and minimal under rotations.

Since Canadian nationals, which is the first time I’ve ever even seen her, she’s been consistent and has held it together which is rare for most of the gals!

Lastly, she came home with a medal!

🍭💋

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The immediate instinct is of course to send Schizas to Sr Worlds.

However, as promising as she is, when looking in closely, Challenge Cup itself was not a particularly well skated event beyond the top 2. Schizas really only landed 2axels, 3toes and 3sals in the free to medal. The flip was shaky and neither loops in the short and free were clean. She did not even attempt a lutz. Don't know how that will hold up at Worlds. This isn't 2012 and she isn't Kostner.

Bausback had a nightmarish skate here (and well, at 4CCs too all things considered) but her scoring potential is higher with a harder 3/3 in the short, and 7 triples planned in the free.

I guess the choice is not that stressful if SkCan accepts the inevitable fate that they will go down to 1 spot for next Worlds. If short program cleanliness and making the free skate are the two main criteria, then definitely send Schizas. If they have faith that Pinault can achieve this, I can see them sending Bausback just for experience - she stands to give bigger returns in the medium to long run when she finally shakes off her demons.

My personal pref is Schizas by a mile, and if SkCan wanna save some face, they can send Bausback to Jr Worlds. She and Schumacher scored and placed close at both Nationals and 4CCs but at least she is National Champ. Alternatively, is there some sort of post-Worlds WTT or TCC to send her?

It's a bit of a case of 'would-a, could-a, should'a'. Shizas medalled and broke 60 points in the short. Bausback bombed big time in the free.

Harsh. But, I know who I would send.

Last edited:

honey

Schumacher now listed for the second jr worlds spot.

The plot is now even thicker lol. I think either way I will feel bad for Madeline or Emily. Bad for Emily if she gets neither jr or sr worlds as national champion. And bad for Madeline if she doesn’t even get junior worlds despite a pretty solid record (especially in relation to Schumacher at 4CC) internationally since nationals.

fan

Schumacher now listed for the second jr worlds spot.

The plot is now even thicker lol. I think either way I will feel bad for Madeline or Emily. Bad for Emily if she gets neither jr or sr worlds as national champion. And bad for Madeline if she doesn’t even get junior worlds despite a pretty solid record (especially in relation to Schumacher at 4CC) internationally since nationals.
Odd. To me, this doesn’t make sense

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I’m glad Schumacher will get another chance to improve her season best score.
If I may change my mind lol I hope this means Schizas gets worlds because she has yet to have a chance to get an ISU season best score.

Disappointing for Bausback though

Erin

Banned Member
Random speculation, but any possibility Bausback was injured on that terrible splat at Challenge Cup and that's why she isn't on the junior world list anymore? (Of course this theory goes out the window if she ends up being named for worlds)

Colonel Green

Random speculation, but any possibility Bausback was injured on that terrible splat at Challenge Cup and that's why she isn't on the junior world list anymore?
Bausback was never "really" assigned to Junior Worlds. When Skate Canada announced the assignments they listed the second JWC spot as TBD; Bausback was just a placeholder on the ISU list.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I just can't imagine Schizas getting shut out of an ISU Championship. Skate Canada tweeted about her medal but there was no press release. I wonder if they are waiting to combine it with a release updating the final two ISU championship assignments.

And Schumacher is my favourite yet I'm surprised she'd get jr worlds after bombing the short so badly at 4CC.

So I'm leading towards Schizas getting worlds now.

skatingguy

decently
Random speculation, but any possibility Bausback was injured on that terrible splat at Challenge Cup and that's why she isn't on the junior world list anymore? (Of course this theory goes out the window if she ends up being named for worlds)
That would make the most sense, either that or that she turned down the Junior Worlds spot.

Colonel Green

And Schumacher is my favourite yet I'm surprised she'd get jr worlds after bombing the short so badly at 4CC.
Alison seems to rotate between good and bad competitions, so by that logic Junior Worlds will be a good event for her.

Erin

Banned Member
Bausback was never "really" assigned to Junior Worlds. When Skate Canada announced the assignments they listed the second JWC spot as TBD; Bausback was just a placeholder on the ISU list.

I know that. But I think we have all assumed she and Schizas would split the assignments, which appears to not be happening now, and this is a possibility as to why.

Another possibility would be that Schumacher was monitored in Canada during Challenge Cup.

Colonel Green

I know that. But I think we have all assumed she and Schizas would split the assignments, which appears to not be happening now, and this is a possibility as to why.

Another possibility would be that Schumacher was monitored in Canada during Challenge Cup.
Alison beat Emily at 4CC (narrowly, but still), so I don't think Alison being named indicates something went awry with Emily. There was no question as to Alison's physical fitness, so monitoring wouldn't be necessary.

I was a little uncertain as to why Alison wasn't also sent here, but it's conceivable that since she beat Emily at 4CC they decided to rest her and make the decision solely based on how Emily looked here (which, unfortunately, was not well).

screech

I just can't imagine Schizas getting shut out of an ISU Championship. Skate Canada tweeted about her medal but there was no press release. I wonder if they are waiting to combine it with a release updating the final two ISU championship assignments.

So I'm leading towards Schizas getting worlds now.
In the original SC press release for the ISU championship teams, it states that the ladies spots would be named on February 23. They must really be deliberating if nothing has been posted yet.

Colonel Green

In the original SC press release for the ISU championship teams, it states that the ladies spots would be named on February 23. They must really be deliberating if nothing has been posted yet.
They may have made a decision but not announced it, which wouldn’t be all that unusual for them — it took forever for them to announce the YOG team, even though they had originally specified a date by which they would do so.

fan

Schizas got nothing

angi

Schizas got nothing

Benching the only skater that medaled this season is beyond questionable at this point.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I suspect Madeline was named as an alternate for Worlds - that isn't mentioned in the brief comment in the press release.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I can see how it would have been weird to not send either their men's or ladies' champion. But still a really tough decision.

Tavi

Schizas got nothing

It might be a kindness - I was rooting for her to do well, and she did great! But she is super inexperienced and junior/senior worlds are super high pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information