2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Zazy

Wow I just got to watch Schizas. She had the big step out on the triple loop and still broke 60! Wow if she beats Bausback tomorrow and gets the TES minimum in the free, I wonder if she'll go to worlds! She seems so steady under pressure.

I think she's at least being considered. If she was only in the running for junior worlds, why have her train and compete senior programs instead of preparing for juniors? That seemed to be the original plan when she competed as a junior at her previous event. Then Bausback/Schumacher underperformed, Schizas had a strong showing, and Skate Canada's plans must have changed.

While I thought Bausback was a little overscored at nationals, she is the national champion and I would send her even if she's behind Schizas by a bit overall. If it's a large gap (10+ points) then send Schizas. I'm going to worlds and would definitely prefer to see Schizas but I think nationals results should be weighted heavily in these decisions.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
This year is so different.

Emily, Alison, Madeline, and even Alicia are so unproven with much in front of them. I say because it’s such a unique year whoever performs the highest internationally under an international panel should get the coveted world spots.

And, yes of course given that they have the minimums.

None of these ladies are going to be in the last flight or even the second to last flight during the short program anyway.

Dobre

Wow I just got to watch Schizas. She had the big step out on the triple loop and still broke 60! Wow if she beats Bausback tomorrow and gets the TES minimum in the free, I wonder if she'll go to worlds! She seems so steady under pressure.

What will be will be. Schizas was ahead of Emily after the short at Nationals as well. Emily has more firepower in the free and was more steady at Nationals in that portion of the event. It will be interesting to see what happens here. Either way, both girls are gaining experience--not only in international competitions but also in competing in pressurized events with berths on the line.

Yeah but Roman did not get the world ticket, right?

He did not. But Nam has far more experience than either Emily or Madeline. This is not necessarily an apples to apples scenario. It's not necessarily different either. They sent both ladies to this event after all.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The standard in ladies' skating has really exploded this season. At this rate, a short program skate in the 60 point range may be the cut off score for the free skate in Montreal.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
A lot probably depends on what was communicated to the skaters before the event. Was Bausback told she just needs to get the minimum and she will be sent? Or were the skaters told something more generic like that the results of Challenge Cup would be factored into the decision? If it’s the former, they probably have to stick to their word and send Bausback. If it’s the latter, I think the decision is easy to send Schizas and still let Bausback have junior worlds.

heartyxo

With that they have to send Madeline to one of SW and JW right? It would be sad for Alison but I’d say send Emily to one and Madeline to the other. I’d say Madeline senior and Emily junior personally.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Looks like Schizas is going to medal in her senior international debut! Not a bad weekend!

That’s amazing. This reminds me of that time when Angela Nikodinov won skate America. Well… I just kind of wanted to reference that…

tee-hee

Congrats Madeline!!!

barbarafan

With that they have to send Madeline to one of SW and JW right? It would be sad for Alison but I’d say send Emily to one and Madeline to the other. I’d say Madeline senior and Emily junior personally.
Emily had a bad skate. 5 elements had negative GOE's which includes 2 falls which of course had all -5's.
As well she had an underrotation and a downgrade.
Madeline had no underrotations and negative GOE's on the flip and loop only..small negatives on a few judges for the flip and medium negative GOE's on that loop accross the board...Interesting that her PCS are getting close to her Tes score.
Question......whose technique is better overrall?

million$momma

Emily had a bad skate. 5 elements had negative GOE's which includes 2 falls which of course had all -5's.
As well she had an underrotation and a downgrade.
Madeline had no underrotations and negative GOE's on the flip and loop only..small negatives on a few judges for the flip and medium negative GOE's on that loop accross the board...Interesting that her PCS are getting close to her Tes score.
Question......whose technique is better overrall?
The person with no > has better technique hands down.

Colonel Green

If you mean who has better technique in general as opposed to today (when Bausback skated poorly), I'd probably still give that to Schizas, albeit with the caveat that Bausback has jumps that Schizas doesn't have.

But of course, Bausback is also a McLeod skater, which is always cause for worry long-term.

barbarafan

If you mean who has better technique in general as opposed to today (when Bausback skated poorly), I'd probably still give that to Schizas, albeit with the caveat that Bausback has jumps that Schizas doesn't have.

But of course, Bausback is also a McLeod skater, which is always cause for worry long-term.
Thank-you..I did mean overall not just today as I am looking toward each of the girl's next competition

Sonata

I think they are going to leave Schumacher home, which is unfortunate. I think her skating and carriage is vastly superior to Bausback's, and ahead of Schizas's. She is more reserved, but what a great opportunity it would be to get even more exposure to higher level skaters at Junior or Senior worlds and learn to perform. However, from little I've seen of Schizas, she is one to watch and has shown she has good nerves for competition. I loved her SP.

Bausback is national champion but she has subsequently been beaten by Schumacher, Schizas and Pineault in little more than 1 month. However, Skate Canada went to the trouble of sending her to another competition after 4CC to get the SP minimum, which says something.

The other question is, who is least likely to be devastated by not making it through to the FP at senior worlds and learn from it.... Not saying it will happen but it's still a real possibility.

Tough decision.

chantilly

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at Camp Orser after this Olympics cycle.

I imagine that Hanyu and Med will be done.

That opens up a big opportunity.

honey

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at Camp Orser after this Olympics cycle.

I imagine that Hanyu and Med will be done.

That opens up a big opportunity.

I seem to recall an interview a couple of years ago where Brian said he wanted to step back after 2022. I remember some quote about having told Gogolev that he’s commit to Beijing but not further. Of course Gogolev has now left and things can change for Brian, but that’s what he was saying a couple of years ago anyway.

To the question of technique, I think both Emily and Madeline have some jumps with strong technique and some with iffy technique. Emily generally has good jumping technique, the loop being especially nice. The toes in the combos are a little funky though. Bordering on a toe axel, but not that extreme. I blame MacLeod :shuffle:

Madeline has a bit of a funky flip takeoff; something is a little off about it. But her other jumps are generally solid. And IMO, most importantly, she’s got wicked speed on the landing most of the time, which allows for 3T combinations to be done extremely well. Very Osmond in that way. She actually reminds me quite a lot of Kaetlyn in 2012. There is refining to do for sure, but the potential is there in spades.

Will be interesting to see what Skate Canada does here with this choice.

karmena

Will be interesting to see what Skate Canada does here with this choice.
[/QUOTE]

I think any decision would be a right decision. In this particular situation there simply is no room for a wrong decision.

IMHO though it is Emily who has to be sent to Montreal because she is a National Champion.
Perhaps she skates well (?) nothing is predictable.

skatingguy

decently
I'm not sure there is a wrong decision in this case, as the two skaters we send will be hard pressed to keep two spots no matter how well they skate. I didn't think Schizas was ready for Senior Worlds after her free skate at Nationals (Why did she do four single axels?), but she has proven me wrong with her skates at the Challenge Cup. Schizas has now put together two good competitions in a row, and has built on the success she had at Canadians, and Bausback has not skated well in her last two competitions. If Skate Canada is looking at the results and not just the minimum scores and national rankings than Schizas should be given the spot to Senior Worlds.

Zazy

Congrats to Madeline on two strong competitions in a row. She actually beat Pineault's Four Continents score by about two points here. Senior B scores tend to be inflated, but these are still good scores.

It would be strange if both singles national champions didn't make it to worlds - has that ever happened? I think Skate Canada has a lot more faith in Bausback than they do in Sadovsky, so she still might get sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information