2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

fsfann

I think Alicia has to be a shoe in.... with Alison Schumacher.... Unless Bausback gets her minimums, and then it could be interesting.

Catherine M

I think that since skate Canada is spending the $$$$ to send Bausback to challenge cup, they want her in Montreal.

If she or Madeline do get the min score, does create an interesting choice.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Definitely send Pineault.

Even if she ends up doing jr worlds, it's good for Schizas to get a senior international because maybe she can place high enough to get world standing points (she currently has zero!).

I'm torn because I like all four skaters, Schumacher being my favourite. I'd like to see Schizas get a chance for an ISU season best score, but instead of who I don't know.

Colonel Green

The main negative I see for Alison is that she’s not an especially reliable short program skater. Even her best events (2019 Junior Worlds, 2020 Nationals) have of late mostly involved a free skate comeback (this also happened at 4CC, albeit not nearly as impressively, when she managed to eke ahead of Emily). At Worlds there’s unlikely to be a shot at a free skate comeback.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yea I'd go with Madeline to Jr Worlds and Alicia to senior with whoever. I think its totally possible for Emily to still miss the min score at Challenge Cup...her GOE's really need some help from a Lambiel type. I think they could be worried about the optics of not sending their senior national champ to either Worlds, so I understand the Jr Worlds assignment. But Alicia is the only currently competing Canadian lady who doesn't look uneven in the SP lately. For anything else near that quality, I'd go back to Emma Bulawka's SP from BC summer skate with 3t3t and 3loop, which hopefully she can replicate more next season. Not sure why no spring assignment for her also. I'd be willing to throw Veronik a bone with Challenge Cup too...not sure why her jumping was so poor at Nationals. I think we are seeing the result of Canada not sending out many ladies to senior internationals until the moment they had to. One by one Alaine, Veronik, Gabby, Kaetlyn took themselves out of the mix and were being replace by almost nobody, until now. They sent out Michelle Long, ok great. But sending Emily and Alison to one or 2 JGP's a season doesnt really help that much, especially while just keeping Madeline and Emma and others locked away at home even after some promising showings. And no, I don't care about Halloween Cup. :p

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Since I am a numbers person, thought I'd pull together scores from this season for the top four from Canadians, excluding domestic summer events. (And yeah, I know you can't compare scores, but it is still helpful in discerning a pattern. Keep in mind that junior events have one less element in the free) Technically, many of these events are not part of Skate Canada's criteria, as "Senior International" is specified but not junior. Skate Canada Challenge is also not part of the criteria. However, there is a super broad criterion at the end about demonstration of consistent short and free skate scores, so I'm throwing everything in there. I've bolded the results that are part of the specific list and italicized domestic events.

Emily Bausback
4CC - 49.1 98.13 147.23
Canadians - 58.90 116.64 175.54

Skate Canada Challenge - 49.57 98.81 148.38
Warsaw Cup - 55.29 117.19 172.48
JGP Lake Placid (jr) - 55.71 102.51 158.22

Alison Schumacher
4CC - 42.55 108.18 150.73
Canadians - 55.95 112.99 168.94

Skate Canada Challenge - 56.63 77.41 134.04
Warsaw Cup - 56.78 113.2 169.98
JGP Zagreb (jr) - 52.65 99.21 151.86
JGP Courcheval (jr) - 46.54 83.51 130.05

Madeline Schizas
Bavarian Open (jr) - 56.10 108.19 164.29
Canadians - 60.66 107.41 168.07
Skate Canada Challenge - 52.96 104.04 157.0
Volvo Cup (jr) - 56.45 94.24 150.71

Alicia Pineault
4CC - 57.09 116.46 173.55
Canadians - 63.15 102.62 165.77
Skate Canada - 57.59 103.78 161.37
US International Classic - 49.58 88.71 138.29

Not sure this is a ton of help, as basically none of them have consistently good results. I do think that Schumacher's significant ups and downs are probably what is keeping SC from naming her - the SP at 4CC, FP at Challenge, and both programs in Courcheval would give me some cause for concern.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Nice list, thanks for posting. Interesting trends I am noticing- Alicia's score increases each time out. Similar trajectory for Madeline.

For Emily and Alison, there were moments of gold and there were flashes of light ;) It's amazing how similar Emily's 4CC score was to her Challenge score, in both programs. I'd expect around the same at Worlds, which isn't going to help her. Alison, my god is she a strange one. Her FS at Challenge was so bad and same for 4CC SP. She is pretty nice when she is on. She is lacking emotion in her interviews and her packaging is dull, it sort of comes across that she isn't invested in her results which would concern me. If Madeline outscores Emily at Challenge Cup and gets the mins, I would straight up send her to Worlds with Alicia. It should not be forgotten that she won the Canadian Challenge, which combined with her Nationals score gives her the highest overall total of those who did both...

Nationals + Challenge Scores
Madeline Schizas N168 C157 =325
Emily Bausback N175 C148= 323
Michelle Long N155 C150 = 305
Alison Schumacher N168 C134= 302
Emma Bulawka N148 C146 = 294
Amelia Orzel N144 C145 = 289
Kim Decelles N139 C148= 287
Amanda Tobin N140 C143= 283
Hannah Dawson N138 C138 = 276

Last edited:

barbarafan

Madeline is next skater up..Fingers crossed.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Wow I didn’t see it but Schizas also got the TES for the short and is leading Bausback. The plot thickens lol

Exciting..... I however didnt realize their were some comps this weekend.

After watching the ladies free at Canadian Nats I was sooooo impressed with Schizas.... I dont care that she doesn't have the lutz and another jump because her overall skating is very pleasant.

When do they name the Ladies World team? Or did they?

Check out this combo... HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! Did the music cut out? Or did I have too much Baileys in my Cheerios?

Colonel Green

Aurora's back jumping. Here's hoping for a season without being plagued by injuries.

They gave Alicia one of the two spots already. The other is TBD, presumably will be announced after Challenge Cup. It's not really clear how Emily vs. Alison vs. Madeline is going to be weighed, or if Madeline is even in the running for senior Worlds.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Exciting..... I however didnt realize their were some comps this weekend.

After watching the ladies free at Canadian Nats I was sooooo impressed with Schizas.... I dont care that she doesn't have the lutz and another jump because her overall skating is very pleasant.

Check out this combo... HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! Did the music cut out? Or did I have too much Baileys in my Cheerios?

I saw her on real time thru the competition feed and she was floating around and in sync with her music. Ethereal is the word for that program. Good job! And a big 👎 to Skate Canada for not giving her a jgp assignment. She was already skating like this at her summer competition. Politiks..

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Strangers in Paradise is from the musical Kismet, where words were set to Borodin's music, including Polovtsian Dances.

My favorite song from Kismet is This Is My Beloved, which was set to the Nocturne from Borodin's 2nd string quartet:

Last edited:

pat c

Isn't it Polovtsian Dances?I remember Kyoko and Jason doing it back in 98.....

There's been many who have skated to Kismet. Schizas version I think is this, Strangers in Paradise by Brightman:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow I just got to watch Schizas. She had the big step out on the triple loop and still broke 60! Wow if she beats Bausback tomorrow and gets the TES minimum in the free, I wonder if she'll go to worlds! She seems so steady under pressure.

euterpe

Emily IS the Canadian champion---I think since she now has the minimums, she should get the nod for Worlds regardless of where she places vis a vis Madeline.

Reactions: mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information