2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Vase

Unfortunately Schumacher had probably the worst SP in her career today in France :( I hope she skates better in the free. And I wonder if she will get her second assignment (shared via Skate Canada on instagram but not on their international assignments page yet).
I thought I saw Schumacher lister for two events, but I just looked and Ruiter seems to be the one with two, I wonder if she always had two or would they have switched Ali for Kaiya?

Colonel Green

I don't think there's any likelihood that Skate Canada would switch her out. None of our ladies are realistic medal contenders, and Alison, while she had a bad day, is still one of the top women we have in the junior field; she's the reason we have two JWC spots this year, after all. There'd be no benefit to giving her such a public vote of no confidence.

Vase

Yes I think Schumacher is a good choice, I am a fan. She has beautiful skating, spins and jumps. Just made a couple of jump errors, but I believe in her.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm sorry if I was harsh towards Schumacher - my posting history shows that I've always been one of her biggest supporters. I still think she is one of the most promising next gen skaters and I believe she had the highest ISU season best the two seasons among the Canadian juniors. It was frankly disappointing to see her not take advantage of the moment - the door was open to make the final group for the free. Well at junior worlds she moved up 6 spots after the short and there is always the potential for movement in juniors. So tomorrow is another day!

I don't think Skate Canada would ever remove an assignment - it's just odd that they shared her two assignments via Instagram yet the Croatia event on their assignments page is blank (yet the final JGP assignments are there). And regardless I hope she will get a senior international assignment later in the season.

Vase

I'm sorry if I was harsh towards Schumacher - my posting history shows that I've always been one of her biggest supporters. I still think she is one of the most promising next gen skaters and I believe she had the highest ISU season best the two seasons among the Canadian juniors. It was frankly disappointing to see her not take advantage of the moment - the door was open to make the final group for the free. Well at junior worlds she moved up 6 spots after the short and there is always the potential for movement in juniors. So tomorrow is another day!

I don't think Skate Canada would ever remove an assignment - it's just odd that they shared her two assignments via Instagram yet the Croatia event on their assignments page is blank (yet the final JGP assignments are there). And regardless I hope she will get a senior international assignment later in the season.
I only asked cause I know on Brooke and Brandon’s lake placid poster on skate Canada’s page it’s stated they are going to lake placid and Poland, yet on the events page it is showing they are going to Russia, not Poland. So I wasn’t sure after events are given if they are taken away or switched around. But maybe it’s just a mistake.

RoseRed

I only asked cause I know on Brooke and Brandon’s lake placid poster on skate Canada’s page it’s stated they are going to lake placid and Poland, yet on the events page it is showing they are going to Russia, not Poland. So I wasn’t sure after events are given if they are taken away or switched around. But maybe it’s just a mistake.
I think that one was a mistake. They are on the ISU entry list for Russia.

barbarafan

Unfortunately Schumacher had probably the worst SP in her career today in France :( I hope she skates better in the free. And I wonder if she will get her second assignment (shared via Skate Canada on instagram but not on their international assignments page yet).
She is back to her chicken arms. This is something that really improved while she skated pairs with Zack. Her body position and extensions are really nice until you get to her arms then they just drop. Do you not use your arms a lot in your jumps...consolidating power, creating balance? For me she needs to work on them with a ballet teacher? Is her coach working on them with her?

barbarafan

Or maybe skate canada is bumbling around as usual.

million$momma

She is back to her chicken arms. This is something that really improved while she skated pairs with Zack. Her body position and extensions are really nice until you get to her arms then they just drop. Do you not use your arms a lot in your jumps...consolidating power, creating balance? For me she needs to work on them with a ballet teacher? Is her coach working on them with her?
I find she only skates with her lower body. No expression in her upper body or face.

tylersf

I wish Gabby Daleman the best and to forget all the negativity that occurred over the past few months (disastrous skates, negative press, personal issues, questionable costumes, ugly cries on tv etc.)!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
A horrific automobile accident happened a week ago impacting Saskatchewan skater Alanna Liu who was returning from competing at BC SummerSkate - the following was posted by Skate Canada - Saskatchewan on Facebook:
A Tragedy in our Skating Community

The entire skating community is in mourning as we learn about the tragic vehicle accident in Southern Alberta that claimed the lives of three people and injured many more including members of the figure skating community. Saskatchewan skater Alanna Liu was involved in the accident and is currently being treated in hospital for her injuries. Sadly, her parents who were traveling home with her from the BC SummerSkate competition have passed away. Skate Canada and Skate Canada Saskatchewan are heartbroken and grieve with those who have lost loved ones in this horrible accident and our thoughts are with Alanna and her family and friends, and all those affected as they cope with this tragedy.

We ask that you respect Alanna’s privacy as she works through the loss of her parents. Further details will be made available through the Section Office.

An article with more information on the accident: https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/skatin...njured-parents-killed-in-alta-crash-1.4565870

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Veronik Mallet posted an Instagram story with a plane ticket to Toronto with a graphic “team camp”. Hopefully we’ll have more info soon and maybe we’ll know who will be the Skate Canada TBD.

Also Blanchard posted videos of her skating at the Cricket Club in Toronto with a graphic “new”. I wonder if she’s there for choreography or if she’s changed her training base or having a try out. Does anybody know?

aftershocks

Banned Member

Gabby sounds very stoked about her programs this season. Good luck to her!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well done to Emily Bausback who set a personal best in the short at Lake Placid today. She did a turn between the flip-toe combo but still got credit for the rotation. TES was over 31! She's in fourth with one group to go and she has an excellent chance to make the final flight here. She now has the short TES for junior worlds, which she was missing. Assuming she has a good free, I hope Skate Canada will send her to a senior international later this year so she can get her worlds/4CC minimums there. PCS still needs work but she's steadily getting better.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Well done to Emily Bausback who set a personal best in the short at Lake Placid today. She did a turn between the flip-toe combo but still got credit for the rotation. TES was over 31! She's in fourth with one group to go and she has an excellent chance to make the final flight here. She now has the short TES for junior worlds, which she was missing. Assuming she has a good free, I hope Skate Canada will send her to a senior international later this year so she can get her worlds/4CC minimums there. PCS still needs work but she's steadily getting better.

Yes congrats to her!

I know Canadian ladies seems to be in a state of influx but I had not heard much talk about Emily. How new is she? How old, etc?

She is in 5th going into free... how cool that Canada has some action in junior ladies.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
This is Bausback's fourth season on the JGP and her best finish before was 10th. In most of her other events, she had a poor short program and moved up several spots in the free. This is the first time she's in a good position in the short, so let's see how she does. She skated well in summer competitions so she has it in her!

Colonel Green

That was probably Bausback's best competitive short, at least that I've seen. I admire her determination on the 3T.

She's never done much for me on an artistic level, though.

chewy

This is Bausback's fourth season on the JGP and her best finish before was 10th. In most of her other events, she had a poor short program and moved up several spots in the free. This is the first time she's in a good position in the short, so let's see how she does. She skated well in summer competitions so she has it in her!
I made the trek down to LP to sit through all these Junior ladies of convenient countries so I will post a live impression later. I am excited that we have a junior lady in a final flight!

chewy

I made the trek down to LP to sit through all these Junior ladies of convenient countries so I will post a live impression later. I am excited that we have a junior lady in a final flight!
Positives: got her elements done or rotated, good work ethic concentration on the ice and not distracted in the warm up and having to follow a great performance by the previous skater
Negatives: Needs ice coverage. Whether it is by design or inability she didn’t skate in the ends of the rink, she never went past what would be the face off dots. It was blantantly obvious live in person. I really want to say it’s choreo.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I thought Bausback showed great fight in the free, especially to get the triple lutz double toe double toe combo done later in the program after stepping out of the first one. That's the best she's ever skated combined short and long. I hope Skate Canada sends her to a senior international this season as she certainly deserves it!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
How awesome that Canada has a ladies skater who finished top 6 in JGP event.

Quite a respectable score!!!!!!

Is she old enough to do Senior CAN Nationals?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I was impressed with Bausback live, great audience reaction too but yes her long especially was a bit slow especially after the Russian & top Japanese skaters who have better ice coverage. I didn’t notice it as much in the short so likely a little more comfortable with that program as the long she seemed very focused on her jumps.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ruiter made quite an impression at her JGP this week, scoring over 150 despite three falls (one in the short and two very scary "Pogosplats" in the free). She fell on her first triple toe and then tried to add the triple toe to her triple loop. That's guts! And she finished and rotated all of her other triples! That's probably the best JGP debut for a Canadian woman in some time. I know you can always say "what if?" but if she manages to skate clean, or at least better at her next assignment - look out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgaTWnPfHUk (Short)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3soWidViE (Free)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information