2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Gran skated well for herself in the free in Russia, but will likely drop a few places in the overall standings. Her PCS was over 10 points lower than her TES, and this appears to be the largest gap in the field, so clearly she has work to do. It will be interesting to see how Orzel compares next week as they are both YOG eligible. (And hopefully Schizas gets a junior international so she can be in the mix too - she really deserves an assignment after her good summer skates!)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Per the ISU grid, Pineault got the host pick at SCI. Based on last season's scores, that seems fair - but I wish they had waited until after the US Classic event. I wonder if she will be added to the national team now.

Seerek

I keep forgetting that Michelle didn't have ISU technical scores from last season to carry over. I think to miss the Four Continents minimum by literally hundredths was unfortunate.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I keep forgetting that Michelle didn't have ISU technical scores from last season to carry over. I think to miss the Four Continents minimum by literally hundredths was unfortunate.

Yes it's unfortunate. Even if she had done the triple salchow and fallen she'd have got the 4CC score.

On her Instagram, I congratulated her for getting the worlds free skate TES minimum, and I said I hoped she'd get another chance to get the short program minimum. She replied "thank you! That was my ultimate goal for this event. I really hope I do as well 😊" https://www.instagram.com/p/B2W5I3yHevR/

I mean let's face it, our women aren't that consistent and with three spots at 4CC, things are wide open for that spot and it would be nice if she had a chance for it this year.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Hannah Dawson missed the worlds TES minimum in the short at SLC by 0.35 :( Still she's a few points ahead of Pineault who fell twice. It will be interesting to see how they do in the free and how their scores compare to Long's score from ACI.

Amelia Orzel competed at the JGP this week and she skated okay, quite a few under rotations, and she scored less than Gran did last week when looking at the Youth Olympics race. Hopefully Schizas gets to compete somewhere - based on summer events, she was the most impressive of those YOG eligible IMO.

Colonel Green

Orzel got about the same reaction from the judges as Gran did last week, i.e., "tech is okay, but very little performance".

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Darn Dawson and Pineault did not skate well in the free in SLC. Dawson barely edged out Pineault in the overall standings, but both scored over 10 points lower than what Long got last week-end.

puglover

Any current news about Gabby other than she is still dealing with issues from her concussion?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
So I rewatched Emma Bulawka's awesome 58 point sp from last month. I think she is the best skater in Canada besides Gabby right now. Aurora and Bausback are close. I know her free was rough but my goodness, get her to SC if anyone withdraws! Or Schizas. Kim Decelles' jumps sadly are quite rough from what I've seen, and Veronik looks pretty off lately even though she is lovely. Hannah just needs to go back to Florence FS.

barbarafan

So I rewatched Emma Bulawka's awesome 58 point sp from last month. I think she is the best skater in Canada besides Gabby right now. Aurora and Bausback are close. I know her free was rough but my goodness, get her to SC if anyone withdraws! Or Schizas. Kim Decelles' jumps sadly are quite rough from what I've seen, and Veronik looks pretty off lately even though she is lovely. Hannah just needs to go back to Florence FS.
So....did you watch Kim Decelle's SP yesterday where she did the triple triple combination without underotations or are talking about last yr while she was trying to get back her jumps after being off the ice with an injury?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Haven't seen her SP from yesterday yet, but did watch 2 diff versions of her FS from this summer and both seemed to have similar underrotation issues...

Sylvia

TBD
So I rewatched Emma Bulawka's awesome 58 point sp from last month.
Do you have a link to her North York B.C. Summer Skate SP (or the event replay video on Dailymotion? I can't find it in the Kiss & Cry section).

Last edited:

Seerek

Have there been any recently retired top level singles women that have transitioned into coaching?

I know there's Tracey Wainman and Karen Preston at the moment, but they're from prior eras than the one I'm referencing (the late 90s onward)?

Colonel Green

Have there been any recently retired top level singles women that have transitioned into coaching?

I know there's Tracey Wainman and Karen Preston at the moment, but they're from prior eras than the one I'm referencing (the late 90s onward)?
None that I’m aware of.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Alaine Chartrand was coaching during the summer, but IIRC she hasn't announced a retirement.

I wondered if Netty Kim was coaching, but it looks like she's doing this instead:

barbarafan

Kim Decelles' short program from this week end is at the 6:55:40ish mark (it's a very long video - happy scolling).

Score wise and performance wise, this was one of the best short programs for the Canadian women this year.
Thank-you....I did not see it (just an instagram of the triple triple toes) her opening combo in the free she was right at the boards so underrated the first jump & tacked on some kind of dble.

screech

Though she's considered a pairs skater, Meagan Duhamel is recently retired, and was a successful singles skater...
Josee Chouinard coached (coaches?) too. Jennifer Robinson did as well, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information