2018 Oscar Nominations

screech

I kind of wish we could retroactively give Oscars. Like 50 years after the Oscars, we get to look back and re-award things for that year. I mean, the fact that (to stick with Jimmy) It's A Wonderful Life won nothing, aside from a special technical award (for inventing a new fake snow technique), is insane.

Another perfect example would be 1994. I bet if people looked back at that year, things would be re-assessed. As much as I like Forrest Gump, no way should Shawshank Redemption have come away with nothing. And Pulp Fiction should have been more recognized too.

VGThuy

They would never retroactively bad-mouth the movies that actually won (or admit any mistakes) like that. I think we just have to be happy that time determines the "true" winners though I find that to change too depending on reassessments of reassessments and who is doing the reassessing. I wonder if some know if time has validated some winners that were surprises or unpopular at the time and what some examples of those would be. I know in some circles, some think Halle Barry's win that is seen as a joke to some has been too harshly criticized for reasons beyond the actual performance and by snobs. Some times I think some maligned Oscar winners are too maligned while other times I think keep it coming, :lol:.

On another note, I sort of detest It's a Wonderful Life myself...:shuffle:. I know Capra is Capra and sentimentality was his thing, but come on...the whole world goes to crap if he wasn't born? Really?

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
On another note, I sort of detest It's a Wonderful Life myself...:shuffle:. I know Capra is Capra and sentimentality was his thing, but come on...the whole world goes to crap if he wasn't born? Really?
No, not the whole world, just dinky little Bedford Falls. :p

screech

It's really Jimmy that makes the movie. It is pretty sappy in a lot of ways, but he was absolutely brilliant.

The only thing that ever really bugged me about it is that it's always advertised as the movie where the guy discovers what would happen if he'd never been born, but in reality, that only takes up about 20 minutes of the entire movie (which is over 2 hours long).

Now I kind of want to go on a Jimmy Stewart movie binge. I recently watched Mr. Smith for the first time, and last year saw Harvey (which I didn't really love)

manhn

Do people really reconsider these things? I cannot recall any movie I love where I now hate.

VGThuy

It's really Jimmy that makes the movie. It is pretty sappy in a lot of ways, but he was absolutely brilliant.

The only thing that ever really bugged me about it is that it's always advertised as the movie where the guy discovers what would happen if he'd never been born, but in reality, that only takes up about 20 minutes of the entire movie (which is over 2 hours long).

Now I kind of want to go on a Jimmy Stewart movie binge. I recently watched Mr. Smith for the first time, and last year saw Harvey (which I didn't really love)

One of my favorites is The Shop Around the Corner. I loved him with Margaret Sullavan, whom I read he was in love with in real life.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Good point about Lauren Bacall. I'm not as familiar with O'Hara or Lansbury.

The snub I agree with most on that list is Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot. She was so brilliant in that movie. I was in love with her myself. ;)
I need to watch Some Like It Hot again. I think I had it so hyped up before watching it that I actually found myself a little disappointed. I had the same problem with Singing In The Rain. I do think Marilyn Monroe is criminally underrated as an actress though. People seem to focus so much on the persona and her off screen things but she was a fantastic actress who probably would have reached her full potential if she hadn't died.
Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Claude Rains in Casablanca are my top two. But Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant are also very high on my list. Grant was a criminally underrated actor -- he made it look so effortless that you don't always realize just how good he was!
I never thought about Claude Rains in Casablanca. But it's been years since I've seen it.

Would it be safe to assume you've seen Penny Serenade? The fact that Cary Grant didn't get an Oscar for that is ridiculous.
I kind of wish we could retroactively give Oscars. Like 50 years after the Oscars, we get to look back and re-award things for that year. I mean, the fact that (to stick with Jimmy) It's A Wonderful Life won nothing, aside from a special technical award (for inventing a new fake snow technique), is insane.

Another perfect example would be 1994. I bet if people looked back at that year, things would be re-assessed. As much as I like Forrest Gump, no way should Shawshank Redemption have come away with nothing. And Pulp Fiction should have been more recognized too.
I have a mini list in my head of people/movies I think would have made more sense to be Oscar winners or just people that should have been nominated in specific years who weren't. It includes Maureen O'Hara for The Quiet Man, John Wayne for The Quiet Man or The Searchers, Angela Lansbury for The Manchurian Candidate, Deborah Kerr for at least one of the movies she was nominated for. Myrna Loy should have been nominated for something, I would even have James Stewart win for Rope instead of The Philadelphia Story since he didn't win for Mr. Smith. Ava Gardner not being at least nominated for The Night of the Iguana is ridiculous. There's more. But it would probably start to resemble the upcoming Ladies event at the Olympics where there's 7 different women I want to medal so I'm going to stop now :lol:.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

He was Star of the Month on TCM in November. They ran a full day and night of his movies every week. I was in movie heaven. :swoon: He's my favorite actor.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
If anyone has a Cinemark theater in their area, they are doing a week of Oscar between 2/26 and 3/4, with multiple showings of each of the Best Picture nominations. I've never gotten a pass before, but with wanting to see all of the noms possible before the awards, I got one this year, $35 for viewing each of the films. The only one I may miss is Dunkirk, which I'm not majorly interested in anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information