2018 GTSA Summer Skate (Toronto), August 16-19 in North York, ON

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Nam Nguyen
4s2t (kind of ran out of room, otherwise probably would have gone for a 3t instead of 2t)
4s
3lz
oh dear, I think his shirt is coming undone...
3a nice
3lo2t
3lz1lo3s, kind of squeaked it out
3f
end pose
re-buttons shirt :lol:

Nice job, especially for early in the season! This is my 2nd time watching Nam's new La La Land LP, and I like it a lot.

Score 177.56, total 262.11

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Keegan as entertaining as usual but not a clean skate by any means I think he must have been focusing on his short program and his quad lutz which he almost had. Bit of a tough long for him with few splats.. early in season though

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Keegan Messing
4lz fall, but decent attempt
3t
3a hand down
1lo
4t fall
3s3t
1a

This was the same LP as last season, but I guess it makes sense to keep it if he's going to work on adding the 4lz. I love the way he brings out the character of the music; he makes a great Chaplin-on-ice.

Score 144.10, total 242.07

Colonel Green

Keegan's more ambitious program offers more opportunities for things to go wrong. Keep working on that 4Lz, because it feels like if he can land that, the rest of the program will go more smoothly.

Congratulations to Nam.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Keegan Messing
4lz fall, but decent attempt
3t
3a hand down
1lo
4t fall
3s3t
1a

This was the same LP as last season, but I guess it makes sense to keep it if he's going to work on adding the 4lz. I love the way he brings out the character of the music; he makes a great Chaplin-on-ice.

Score 144.10, total 242.07

He has had to adjust the program based on this year's changes in FS "allowances" as well as to incorporate the 4lz.

Debrah

Delighted to see Nam confidently throwing down in the free skate! Jump mojo back, pgm delivered with plenty of speed, charm and a mega watt smile, showing he's ready to work even harder now Chan is retired. Reminding all the contender's for the Cdn crown just exactly which Nam they will likely be dealing with this season and beyond esp., with home worlds looming in 2020...Hoping he gets a 2nd GP event...

Tinami Amori

chewy

Just catching up now to the start of the season

I think Gabby looks absolutely stunning in that dress wow.

Girl loves her rhinestones! Hopefully someone fixes the mismatch of nude mesh to her actual skintone. I was wishing for some version of cobraboobs2.0 though, best dress ever.
Watching the lower level senior women who you know will never skate nationally or internationally but have put the hours in to pass their tests and are likely finishing off their skating career, some of them patched up with injuries. Certainly not the skate some of them wanted but I truly respect them. Hope they get some excitement from being on the same ice as world class level skaters like Gabby Daleman.

With the relaxation of requred tests this sort of summer competition sees more skaters who have the minimal required goldFS taking a shot at what senior is like without having to go to a qualifying competition. It seems a lot of work to do a short and a long with just doubles though.

mackiecat

Not sure if this why but dress makers will match mesh to normal non tanned skin since the comp season is in winter

gkelly

With the relaxation of requred tests this sort of summer competition sees more skaters who have the minimal required goldFS taking a shot at what senior is like without having to go to a qualifying competition. It seems a lot of work to do a short and a long with just doubles though.

Why? They've probably been training short and long programs with just doubles for years (since prenovice?). The only thing that would make it more work at senior than what they have been doing is that the freeskate is 30 seconds longer than the junior FS. And the SP is a little longer than novice.

At least, that would be true in the US. Are you saying that many Canadian skaters never enter any kind of standard competitive events at lower levels and then suddenly decide to give it a try at senior level?

Reactions: mag

mag

...With the relaxation of requred tests this sort of summer competition sees more skaters who have the minimal required goldFS taking a shot at what senior is like without having to go to a qualifying competition. It seems a lot of work to do a short and a long with just doubles though.

I hope you and everyone reading realizes that without these skaters, and those who skate at the lower levels without any hope of ever qualifying, elite figure skating as we know it would not exist. Coaches don’t make a living coaching only elite skaters, rinks can’t survive with only elite skaters, dressmakers, skate shops, and boot manufacturers can’t make a living from only elite skaters. I don’t know if you skate, but those “just doubles” are difficult and take years of practice. A little respect for hours of training a commitment to a sport please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information