2018 European Championships Glasgow/Berlin (2-12 August)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I had to look it up. For us North Americans, it’s a mini summer Olympics. I did a quick search and it doesn’t appear that there is any US coverage.

D

Deleted member 40371

I had to look it up. For us North Americans, it’s a mini summer Olympics. I did a quick search and it doesn’t appear that there is any US coverage.
There is already European games, but personally I like this format better. Events can double as european championships and sports can be spread between countries. I always find the fact that Asian games is older than European or Pan America games very funny. A continent that seldom things as one, got this part correct.

Rob

Beach Bum
I love this idea, wish we could watch here. Nothing on Olympic Channel, boo!

D

Deleted member 40371

Two Synchronised swimming gold for Russia... I really think IOC should add mixed Duet to the olympic program, gender equality does matter. They can scrap the duet if they don't want more Russian gold medals, however please add duet.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
So didn’t know that mixed synchronised swimming was now a thing! Awesome, that winning Russian guy looked FIERCE.

In fact, I didn’t know this whole event was a thing? :lol: so now the usual European Athletics Championship is now this Rude Euro mini Olympics thing from now on?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
In fact, I didn’t know this whole event was a thing? :lol: so now the usual European Athletics Championship is now this Rude Euro mini Olympics thing from now on?

I think the idea is that all the European Championships are held around the same time to get more exposure for them all? This is the first time they are doing it like this, so I guess we will see if it works or not.

I'm all for Synchronised Swimming voids on my TV! :cheer2: :rofl:

millyskate

Yes!
mini-voids: the media pack contains a tiny Bonnie seal mascot and a useful water bottle thing (Boston Worlds 2016 take note :p) as well as a backpack and pen + notebook.
The shuttle system is superb and this morning I had an entire bus to myself (with 2 Belgian journalists for part of the way), that took me all the way from the city centre to gymnastics venue.

The volunteers at the accreditation centre were super helpful and even offered to walk me to the transport hub 15min away.
There are absolutely loads of massive recycling bins in the press room. So practical: normally press room bins get completely overflowing in a matter of minutes. The photographer's bibs are quite snug even on me and the petite photographer sat next to me, so either they've done sizing and given us the bibs based on our appearance or some people are going to majorly struggle!

The only athletes I've spotted were the Norwegian junior gymnasts.

millyskate

So the bibs are actually sized. Glasgow has always given masterclasses in event organisation but this is taking things to the next level :rofl:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Melnikova is using "Scene d'amour" by Sarah Brightman for her floor routine? :eek: :rofl:

Gymnastics choreography is so god-awful. Do they not realise? :scream:

D

Deleted member 40371

Synchronised swimming and women's gymnastics coming up = craptacular choreography voids! :cheer:
The sport has changed its name from Synchronised swimming to Artistic Swimming ( i forget it as well). I guess it makes sense to change the name if they want to keep the solo event.

D

Deleted member 40371

Good luck to Irish women's hockey team for the world championship finals.

p.s I didn't want to start a new thread for this: hence posting in this thread which has more than one sport.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
The main event kicks off today with the first medals in athletics decided. 50km walks for men and women are currently under way!

Finnice

Horrible heat in 50km walking. Tomorrow it will be even worse.
I am emotionally invested in men's javelin. Antti Ruuskanen's new coach is my friend. It is a long time ago when any individual sport other than figure skating has gotten me as nervous than for Antti.

Lorac

Well Kevin Mayer totally ballsed up his long jump in the Decathlon by having 3 no jumps. He was trying to go huge but miss timed them all. I never understand why the multi eventers don't lay down a safe solid jump on the first attempt and then go all out for a really long/high jump.

D

Deleted member 40371

Horrible heat in 50km walking. Tomorrow it will be even worse.
I am emotionally invested in men's javelin. Antti Ruuskanen's new coach is my friend. It is a long time ago when any individual sport other than figure skating has gotten me as nervous than for Antti.
There are 3 excellent Germans in the field, and they are scary good. Good luck to Antti though.

Lorac

Home in time to see the 100m finals - and I'm melting as Michael Johnson is doing a voice over - he has the most glorious voice :swoon::respec:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Well Kevin Mayer totally ballsed up his long jump in the Decathlon by having 3 no jumps. He was trying to go huge but miss timed them all. I never understand why the multi eventers don't lay down a safe solid jump on the first attempt and then go all out for a really long/high jump.

Normally they do. Kevin was going for a record so it was all or nothing. :drama:

Lorac

Awesome run from Dina Asher Smith - a new British Record!!!!!

Adorable interview with the BBC and at the very end she says to the female interviewer ' I like your jacket' :D:biggrinbo

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Wheee Asher-Smith!

Was she one of the “children are our future” lot who lit the Olympic flame in London? I remember either a Dina or a Des’ree?

Lorac

Wheee Asher-Smith!

Was she one of the “children are our future” lot who lit the Olympic flame in London? I remember either a Dina or a Des’ree?

Desiree Henry was the 16 year old athlete who was one of the 7 future stars. Dina was a box carrier on Super Saturday!!!

Lorac

So as Jimmy Vicaut is out with an injury apparently gained in the warm up can GB go 1 2 3!!

ETA: OK 1, 2 and 4 will do!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information