2018 Athletics Thread

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
World Indoors in Birmingham start this evening! Anybody else watching?

Ohyes

I won't be since Andre degrasse won't be competing but I do hope New Zealand wins in womens shot put.

ilovepaydays

Has anyone else noticed the insane number of DQs? I thought it was pretty glaring during the 400m and 800m heats today. :eek:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Today competition was insane with many controversial DQ

American guy was DQ of the 800m then he was reinstated (bumping a brit off the podium)

But the most questionable was Oscar Husillos who won the 400m in a Championship Record 44.92!! but got DQ moments later along with the silver medalist Luguelin Santos

Poor guy he knew abot this while being interviewed on national tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyJjwfD0LY

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
And we thought figure skating judges were idiots. Let them race fergawdsakes!

ilovepaydays

That men's 1500m final was insane. The first 400m went at 75 seconds! :eek: I think race walkers go faster than this. :lol:

3:58.19 FTW! :lol:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I guess this is the best place to post this. Roger Bannister, the first to run a sub 4 minute mile, has passed away. He was 88.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I guess this is the best place to post this. Roger Bannister, the first to run a sub 4 minute mile, has passed away. He was 88.

There's a thread here.

Poland just trounced the US to win the men's 4x400 in a new World Record. :eek:

ilovepaydays

The U.S. men clearly need to have clinics on how to not lose relays in the last 50 meters. First it was their 4X100ms, now it's happening in their 4X400ms too. You would think they would have learned from 2017 Worlds. What was Norwood doing in that final stretch? :rolleyes:

Congrats to Poland for winning and the world record! Belgium won bronze by .01! :eek:

ilovepaydays

Anyone else going to follow the Boston Marathon tomorrow? :D

The Americans have the best chance in decades to win the men’s, women’s, or even both. :eek:

Women’s favorites: Molly Huddle, Shalene Flanagan, Desi Linden (all USA)

Men’s favorite: Geoffery Kirui (Kenya - last year’s champion), Galen Rupp (USA), some other Kenyan or Ethiopian.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Quite enjoying the London Marathon today! Mo Farah seems to be having his struggles, but hey it's a whole new ball game for him despite the BBC commentators hyping him to death! :rolleyes:

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Kipchoge -masteclass in marathon running in a v warm London.

Kind of 😡 at Farah breaking Steve Jones' British Record for the first time in 33 years. He (Steve) is a family friend.

Lorac

Kipchoge -masteclass in marathon running in a v warm London.

Kind of 😡 at Farah breaking Steve Jones' British Record for the first time in 33 years. He (Steve) is a family friend.

It stood for 33 years - that's no mean accomplishment. Mo did well to finish 3rd - he still has a lot to learn about Marathon running as this was only his 2nd ever competitive one.

Sad to learn however that a runner collapsed during the race and has since died in hospital. He was a semi-finalist in the UK MasterChef Professionals reality TV show in 2017. So sad as he was running it in memory of his father who died 18 months ago :(

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Absolutely tragic about him. I had a hissy fit when he didn't make the final last year. :fragile:

Horrific for his family.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
@Lorac I'm part of a walking group (we are just some mates all touched by it, not a regular walking group) who are going to walk 3.7 miles on Sunday to #FinishforMatt.

Agh I just used a hashtag! :scream:

Lorac

@Lorac I'm part of a walking group (we are just some mates all touched by it, not a regular walking group) who are going to walk 3.7 miles on Sunday to #FinishforMatt.

Agh I just used a hashtag! :scream:

Good for you. I just saw that initiative and will be going out on Sunday to do my own walk and will donate as well.:respec:

Using hashtag gets us all eventually :rofl:

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
I saw the Men's leaders pass by while I was standing on the wall of the Tower - my husband and I took a tour and popped out just at the right moment! Wow, I haven't seen such crowds in a city in ages! It was really fun being there even though I wasn't there specially for the Marathon.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
If I ever hear about Samba “dancing to victory” in the 400 hurdles ever again it will be too soon. :p

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Watching the U18 European athletics champs at the moment. We've got a great young Irish team there! :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information