2018/19 Junior Grand Prix Announcement, pre-season news & discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

Start orders are up for Bratislava.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/jgpsvk2018/index.htm

I now announce the start of the 18-19 Figure Skating season

:40beers::respec::cheer:

P.S. why didnt USFSA send a pair? In that field at least a reasonable chance for a medal.
thanks

I sent a less than kind email to skate canada this am re: their web-site....they have now fixed the inaccurate entries on first JGP and added links for the livestreaming and entries/results and have issued a news release. Better late than never.

barbarafan

Time to start the Bratislava thread in the k&c section?
The mens field looks quite competitive at the top with Gogolev, Torgashev, Savosin and Sumoto.
I'm curious to see whether Daniel Grassl will make a splash.

I think he will. He now has quads...which will only make a diff. in the long program but his performance abilities have always been amazing. He is a natural. He also has gone to many competitions so may be well seasoned as far as nerves go. I will definitely be looking forward to his performances.

Also can't wait to see Stephen and how he handles it. 4:30am comes early

SamuraiK

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Actually , it started a few weeks ago with the Asian Trophy. An ISU Sanctioned Challenger Series Event with its scores already counting for 18-19 Season's Best. But still yay for JGP !!:cheer::cheer:

Yea, I was gonna say that in my original post and even started to edit it but this always feels like the initial kick-off!!!!

:encore::summer::oksana1::saint:

DobrinFan

Danielian heals the injury and should start at the later stages of the junior Grand Prix

Silver medalist of the World Junior Championship of the season-2017/18, Russian Arthur Danielian is on a recovery course after injury and plans to perform at the final stages of the junior Grand Prix series, RIA Novosti reported. Buyanova.

The series of junior Grand Prix starts on Thursday in the stage in Bratislava. The final stages will be held in October, and the Grand Prix finals will be held on December 6-9 in Vancouver.

"Artur has a minor injury, but it must be cured to the end. He had a bruise, and at the same time active growth began, so we take very cautious preparations for his entire training. First full recovery, then competition.

We are guided that he will still perform at two stages of the Grand Prix series, but on the last. I hope so, "said Buyanova.

Source: https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180822/1140742146.html

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Hom/Jerosch were originally assigned but I think are injured or something. They wouldn't have medaled anyway. There are only 2 US junior pairs on the JGP. Lots of teams from Nationals split and/or aren't age eligible.

DobrinFan

Russian figure skater Anastasia Gubanova at the moment is not ready for competition because of problems with changing shoes, told RIA Novosti the coach of 15-year-old athlete Elena Buyanova .

Gubanova should play in the series of the junior Grand Prix, which starts on Thursday in the stage in Bratislava. The final stages will be held in October, and the Grand Prix finals will be held on December 6-9 in Vancouver.

"Nastya's legs are very badly erased - to the blood and cones, and this is connected with new shoes." We have already changed three pairs, I do not remember at all in my practice of this case! "The third pair seems to be right for her, although her legs have not yet healed. but I started to skate, but I'll think about competitions when the cones come off and the leg will not feel uncomfortable. "I hope she will be able to perform at the final stages of the junior Grand Prix," Buyanova said by phone.

Gubanova took sixth place in the December championship of Russia, and at the end of the season she moved from coach Angelina Turenko to CSKA to Buyanova.

Another pupil Buyanova, silver medalist of the world championship among juniors of last season Artur Danielian is recovering after a bruise.

"Nastya and Artur are determined to start this season and are constantly in training, we need them for many years, so first of all we need to think about health," the expert concluded.

https://mrsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180823/1140751688.html

Rafter

thanks

I sent a less than kind email to skate canada this am re: their web-site....they have now fixed the inaccurate entries on first JGP and added links for the livestreaming and entries/results and have issued a news release. Better late than never.

Skate Canada’s website is pathetic!

barbarafan

Skate Canada’s website is pathetic!

Now now.....at least they fixed most things yesterday I whined about & even put the links in and I received a cool email this am stating they will only fix the senior team after high perf.camp but they would remove the officially retired people now (which they did) and put a disclaimer that final team would be posted in September on the site.

SamuraiK

WOWWWWW... check out the artistry of GRASSL of Italy...... Im not one to usually watch a lot of juniors but WOW....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ckvXYae0IA

Ive also watched Gogolev and he too is good!!!

When will Grassl be Senior? He seems older...

Check out his ending spin.... +5 across the board from ANL!!!!!

Grassl should had a higher score. maybe not better GOE but definetly better PCS than Gogolev.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
So Im watching this Daniel Grassl video as if it were an Angela Nikodinov video.

I am blown away by this cat!!!!!

SO GOOD!!!!!!! Is it too early to start his Cheer thread?

:encore::encore:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
He's the same age as last year's Junior World Champion was.

Ok, but age isn’t what I am focusing on, this would make Tomoki’s 4th season on the JGP, plus he earned the bronze medal at junior worlds during the 2015-16 season. It just seems like (IMO) he is just being put aside, especially during this post Aaron/Hochstein/Rippon, etc. Season.

Cleo1782

Ok, but age isn’t what I am focusing on, this would make Tomoki’s 4th season on the JGP, plus he earned the bronze medal at junior worlds during the 2015-16 season. It just seems like (IMO) he is just being put aside, especially during this post Aaron/Hochstein/Rippon, etc. Season.

I agree. It seems like he has been on the JGP forever....He could have made a move up this season, but I also feel like Torgashev has been on the JGP forever too, but clearly he is not ready for senior internationally. Both are probably just trying to up their world standings (even though Andrew seems to be doing worse).

Dobre

I think you are misinterpreting it. He was quite young when he medaled, which is why it appears like he has been on the JGP longer than the norm. (And we all know he wouldn't have medaled that year if Nathan & Sota hadn't both broken themselves prior to Junior Worlds. We know because Tomoki wouldn't have made the Junior World team). Then he lost most of a season due to serious injury. That season was basically a wash. Really wasn't healthy again until halfway through last year's JGP. And he's coming up behind Vincent & Nathan so there's no room on the World team unless you can either a. outjump the rest of the world or b. outperform Jason.

I assume Tomoki is trying to get a score that will guarantee him at least one non-host spot on the GP. (Needs a good short and a good long in the same competition). He had a great free skate at Nationals last year. (7th in the free, 4th highest TES in that portion of the event). And he had the 2nd highest score this summer for the U.S. guys. (5 spots above Ma). If he had had the SB last season, I think he'd have moved up. But he didn't so another year it is. I'm sure he'll still do at least one Challenger, and there's been a lot of turnover in the U.S. Men's field this year. Ross, Adam, Grant, and Max all likely done. Tomoki needs to compete more solidly (big question for all these young guys), but he is competitive with almost everyone else in the field. Only Jason, Nathan, & Vincent are likely out of reach, IMO. Lots of guys in the mix there, but Tomoki has the tools to compete with most of them.

Cleo1782

I think you are misinterpreting it. He was quite young when he medaled, which is why it appears like he has been on the JGP longer than the norm. (And we all know he wouldn't have medaled that year if Nathan & Sota hadn't both broken themselves prior to Junior Worlds. We know because Tomoki wouldn't have made the Junior World team). Then he lost most of a season due to serious injury. That season was basically a wash. Really wasn't healthy again until halfway through last year's JGP. And he's coming up behind Vincent & Nathan so there's no room on the World team unless you can either a. outjump the rest of the world or b. outperform Jason.

I assume Tomoki is trying to get a score that will guarantee him at least one non-host spot on the GP. (Needs a good short and a good long in the same competition). He had a great free skate at Nationals last year. (7th in the free, 4th highest TES in that portion of the event). And he had the 2nd highest score this summer for the U.S. guys. (5 spots above Ma). If he had had the SB last season, I think he'd have moved up. But he didn't so another year it is. I'm sure he'll still do at least one Challenger, and there's been a lot of turnover in the U.S. Men's field this year. Ross, Adam, Grant, and Max all likely done. Tomoki needs to compete more solidly (big question for all these young guys), but he is competitive with almost everyone else in the field. Only Jason, Nathan, & Vincent are likely out of reach, IMO. Lots of guys in the mix there, but Tomoki has the tools to compete with most of them.

Agreed. Max and Grant have already announced their retirement though. So they are for sure done. Max was done before Worlds and did the USFS a solid by competing. He hadn't been training at all. Who is Sota? I am confused. Shotaro Omori?

rinettoii

Agreed. Max and Grant have already announced their retirement though. So they are for sure done. Max was done before Worlds and did the USFS a solid by competing. He hadn't been training at all. Who is Sota? I am confused. Shotaro Omori?

Sota is Sota Yamamoto who performed relatively well on the junior circuit.

Cleo1782

Sota is Sota Yamamoto who performed relatively well on the junior circuit.
Sorry. I was so confused, but I though @Dobre meant someone American because they said Tomoki wouldn't have made the team, but I guess that was referring to Nathan. Lol Thanks for clarifying. What happened to Sota Yamamoto? Does he still skate?

ETA: Jk I just looked it up and he just won the Asian Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information