2016 Academy Awards (Oscars) - Ceremony & Red Carpet

smurfy

Most expressive eyes in the business.
Hopefully after this award he will be offered interesting feature film roles, because we haven't seen enough of him at all.

He was great in Wolf Hall

Yea! Morricone!!!

mtnskater

Every movie this year in the best foreign film category is about war, so good luck ...
Bummer. But I often don't mind as much when it is based on real history and comes with a message or lesson. And the violent scenes are not gratuitous.

ETA just looking all the nominees up on Netflix. Mustang and Embrace of the Serpent do not seem to be mostly about war and perhaps Theeb.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm so happy for Mark Rylance, one of the best actors I've ever watched on screen. It's great when subtlety is rewarded. Sometimes I feel that the Academy favours performances in which actors dramatically change their physical appearance in one way or the other. Surely it is at least as difficult to portray a character by just acting?

But when you're able to do both when the role calls for it. That's something then again. Which is what Robert De Niro did in Raging Bull (gaining weight), Mark Ruffalo did for Foxcatcher (gaining weight), and Christian Bale did for a number of roles (losing weight). It's not an unusual phenomenon. But being able to pull off the great acting too, subtle or otherwise is very special.

Congratulations to Mark Rylance!

And kudos to Ennio Morricone!

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Wow - Bond wins an Oscar!! :cheer2:

Awards Table (thus far)

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - 6
2. Spotlight - 1
= The Big Short - 1
= The Danish Girl - 1
= The Revenant - 1
= Ex Machina - 1
= Bridge of Spies - 1
= Inside Out - 1
= The Bear -1
= A Girl in the River - 1
= Amy - 1
= Stutterer - 1
= Son of Saul - 1
= The Hateful Eight - 1
= Spectre - 1

Allskate

Morricone had never won an Oscar?!

But Sam Smith wins first try for that? I like him, but . . .

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Bummer. But I often don't mind as much when it is based on real history and comes with a message or lesson. And the violent scenes are not gratuitous.

Aside from Mad Max, we have Bridge of Spies, Room, The Revenant (I guess that's violent), The Big Short, The Spotlight, Brooklyn and The Martian, so I am kinda :huh: about the guns criticism.

oleada

Wow, I didn't know that Morricone had never won! That's crazy!

That song isn't great tbh but Sam Smith's speech was nice.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh I feel bad for Stallone. His loss reminds me of when Lauren Bacall lost the Supporting Actress when she was heavily favored to win.

I think Sly is just very happy to be there and to be nominated. He did win a Golden Globes, and to be nominated for an Oscar is not a small thing.

How quickly we forget - Dustin Lance Black was out when he won for writing "Milk".

Good catch.

Asli

What's going on? Why are the awards distributed so slowly? (I don't have a live feed.) It's snowing outside and I'm pretty sure two inches of snow have accumulated during the last three awards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information