2006 Olympics ladies and mens if everyone skated cleanly

Skibean

A clean skate for Cohen always includes one fall. I’m not certain she ever skated 2 clean programs. R&J was the perfect program for Cohen. She skated it many times throughout her career and it definitely was something she skated well to, but she was never consistent enough to skate 2 clean programs.

If allowed to attend, Mao Asada would’ve had that gold easily. I think if Kwan had been healthy the food could’ve been hers also. Too many what ifs.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It drove me insane, (well, not really, but you know) that Sasha kept going for 7 triples. Her 3t..3s, under 2006 rules, got her 7.5 when she did it in the bonus time. A 3sal2lo would have given her (4.5+1.5)x.1=6.6. Heck, 3sal2t would have given her 6.38. So...infinitely easier jumping pass, imo, and a mere 0.9 points less.

lucaslavoie

Banned Member
With everyone there and going clean.

Ladies

Gold- Asada. Unless Slutskaya gets far enough in the short.
Silver- Slutskaya
Bronze- Arakawa
4th- Cohen. As someone said clean Cohen even involves atleast 1 mistake as she has never done a clean long. Even without a mistake she might be behind Arakawa who probably does atleast 1 triple-triple, you know Slutskaya has 1 or 2, and Asada has that plus the triple axels to give her the edge. She might win the short but not the long.
5th- Kostner
6th- Ando. I read someone saying she might have tried a quad so giving her a boost in placing for that.
7th- Kim. Don't know much about her abilities at this point.
8th- Kwan. She only had a shot in an event with a lot of mistakes at this point, not in an imaged clean event.
9th- Rochette. Even if she had gone clean, never stood a shot at this point in her career if others were clean.
10th- Suguri. She did go totally clean in the splatfest and still did poorly. In a great event she is buried.

Men

Gold- Plushenko
Silver- Lambiel. Going clean he would do a triple axel. He did have it planned even though he often doesn't do it.
Bronze- Takahashi
4th- Buttle
5th- Joubert
6th- Weir
7th- Lysacek
8th- not sure from this point down, field not as deep as the womens.

lucaslavoie

Banned Member
Men
  • in real life, Plushenko benefited from the fact that he seemed to be the only man in this era of men's skating who could skate clean-ish. So reassessing this era under these parameters is a bit difficult. That said, unless the judges spontaneously started judging his PCS accurately, he'd probably still win due to having both a quad and a triple Axel in the short program, whereas Lambiel lacked the latter and Buttle the former.
  • I think Buttle would have been the silver medalist and maybe would even have won the free skate, if we're imagining a world where he actually landed that quad he YOLO'd, since that being the case his tech would be virtually identical to Plushenko's.
  • Lambiel's lack of a triple Axel might have bumped him off the podium entirely in this hypothetical clean competition, depending on how Joubert's PCS was judged.

My only problem with this assessment is isn't it silly to assume a clean Lambiel is triple axel-less while it is realistic to assume a clean Buttle with a landed quad when Lambiel has landed many more clean triple axels then Buttle has quads period. That makes no sense to me. Heck I am not sure if Buttle has even stood 1 up or not, Lambiel has completed atleast 15 triple axels in competition in his career.

Colonel Green

My only problem with this assessment is isn't it silly to assume a clean Lambiel is triple axel-less while it is realistic to assume a clean Buttle with a landed quad when Lambiel has landed many more clean triple axels then Buttle has quads period. That makes no sense to me.
I don't recall what exactly Lambiel's planned content was in Torino.

Skibean

I think Kwan would’ve been just fine and could’ve possibly won if she was healthy and skated clean. She did okay with her non COP friendly mess of a program at the previous worlds- and while she was very injured. I wouldn’t ever have counted a healer, prepared, clean skate by Kwan

lucaslavoie

Banned Member
I think Kwan would’ve been just fine and could’ve possibly won if she was healthy and skated clean. She did okay with her non COP friendly mess of a program at the previous worlds- and while she was very injured. I wouldn’t ever have counted a healer, prepared, clean skate by Kwan

In the actual event that was skated maybe, but this doesn't seem to be what this thread is about. Lots of people could have skated well enough to win with how the actual event was skated by others.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think Kwan being there would have taken a lot of pressure OFF of Arakawa and Cohen, but maybe not Slutskaya.

bardtoob

The whole premise that the 2006 Olympics were actually scored correctly under the COP is ridiculous. The scoreboard might have shown values under the appropriate categories, but it was actually just used to rank skaters in a way not much different from the 6.0 system based on the judges opinion.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
The whole premise that the 2006 Olympics were actually scored correctly under the COP is ridiculous. The scoreboard might have shown values under the appropriate categories, but it was actually just used to rank skaters in a way not much different from the 6.0 system based on the judges opinion.

That hasn't really changed 14 years later either. Someone like Bebe Liang does some really good spins and gets all 0s for them at the 2008 worlds. Or an unknown dance team gets mere 0s or +1s for really well down twizzles. Even level calls which should be something completely objective on dance elements or non jump/throw single/pair elements show inconsistencies from the more in favor skaters and the lesser ones.

Fumie got straight 0s for a lot of very well done jumps in her Turin LP which is one reason, along with some more valid ones, she didn't medal despite the problems of the others.

NAOTMAA

Cohen not only managing to not win Worlds but to end up with the bronze medal is the stuff of :gallopin1 legend.
Sorry for reviving this but I finally saw this thread and had to comment.

I think it was even more epic with Peggy Flemming's commentary. I remember as the little errors kept piling up Peggy just kept getting more and more exasperated with her until the final fall. You could hear it in her voice that she just gave up on Sasha completely. She was so annoyed and had her passive aggressive bitchiness on full display :lol:

Last edited:

orbitz

Kwan's Totentanz SP would not have compared favorably to Irina's, and I'm afraid to imagine what Tat's had choreographed for Kwan's LP. Also, I'm not sure that the judges would have been in Kwan's corner in 2006 like in 2002 where they were so ready to reward her if she had skated clean.

UGG

Why are people including Mao on their podium? She wasn’t there and couldn’t go.

Miki89

Young Asada I could see, but if she kept losing to Kim afterwards, it would be seen as more of a flash in the pan win like the two OGMs prior to Torino and the past two we have now.
If we go by what happened after 2006, then Mao was the first to win worlds in 2008. Arguably should have won in 2007. And medaled in Vancouver and won worlds again in 2010. If she was eligible and won in 2006, I could only see it adding to her legacy. She has already done more than most skaters without winning the OGM. With OGM, I could see her being more well-known internationally. She is already an icon and superstar in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information