2006 Olympics ladies and mens if everyone skated cleanly

olympic

Hey. You stole my gig :p

Ladies - For some reason, I cannot recall the programs from the ladies further down the ranks. But here is what I think:

Asada and Kim are not considered: They were too young and that was the rule.

1. Slutskaya - Would this be the prettiest set of programs to get an OGM since Trixi Schuba? No. But she really worked IJS and rotated jumps. I remember her 130 pts. in the LP at CoR was considered massive at the time

2. Cohen - She never skated a clean LP but if we are considering elements, you could say that the 1st half of her Nationals winning LP and the 2nd half of her Olympic program showed that she could land the jumps in her LP layout that year. Judges did love her and she didn't have problems w/ rotation (bad edges were not considered at the time).

3. Arakawa - As it was, she had chronic URs that year on the 3L and the 3-3 was usually called UR. I think this would have left her behind the top 2.

A big question for me is Kostner, Rochette and Meissner clean. Would they have moved ahead of Fumie Suguri, who was as clean as possible?

And let's not forget the Kween. She was capable of 6 triples at this point (I think she abandoned the loop in '05) which would put her in a match against Arakawa, but she did have problems achieving levels on the non-jump elements. TAT was in her corner that year and her team choreographed what would be Mao's 2010 LP for MK. It may have helped her further adjust to IJS and MK was probably a spoiler

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Hey. You stole my gig :p

Ladies - For some reason, I cannot recall the programs from the ladies further down the ranks. But here is what I think:

Asada and Kim are not considered: They were too young and that was the rule.

1. Slutskaya - Would this be the prettiest set of programs to get an OGM since Trixi Schuba? No. But she really worked IJS and rotated jumps. I remember her 130 pts. in the LP at CoR was considered massive at the time

2. Cohen - She never skated a clean LP but if we are considering elements, you could say that the 1st half of her Nationals winning LP and the 2nd half of her Olympic program showed that she could land the jumps in her LP layout that year. Judges did love her and she didn't have problems w/ rotation (bad edges were not considered at the time).

3. Arakawa - As it was, she had chronic URs that year on the 3L and the 3-3 was usually called UR. I think this would have left her behind the top 2.

A big question for me is Kostner, Rochette and Meissner clean. Would they have moved ahead of Fumie Suguri, who was as clean as possible?

And let's not forget the Kween. She was capable of 6 triples at this point (I think she abandoned the loop in '05) which would put her in a match against Arakawa, but she did have problems achieving levels on the non-jump elements. TAT was in her corner that year and her team choreographed what would be Mao's 2010 LP for MK. It may have helped her further adjust to IJS and MK was probably a spoiler

On Arakawa that is one thing I am considering. I don't think a hypothetical clean for her even includes a 3-3, and it wouldn't even include 7 triples like Cohen had, it would be the same skate she did but with a triple loop instead of the double loop. Whenever she tried the 3-3 after 2004 when they became more strict in the calling she was called < so I find it more likely that is why she didn't do it and not since Cohen had problems like her team tried to theororize after.

VGThuy

I think in the end, the correct result for history was made even if the skates were blah and Arakawa skated slow and conservative with 5 solo triples completed. Arakawa was like a mix of Slutskaya/Cohen. Her strengths aren't as high as theirs, but her weaknesses weren't as glaring as theirs. She has the flexibility and somewhat had musicality with a respectable (though COPed version) LP to be in-between Cohen and Slute in that regard, but she had the edges and jumps to be above Cohen and behind Slute in that regard. IMO, as a skater, she's the one who I think was the best combination of TES and PCS.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
I think in the end, the correct result for history was made even if the skates were blah and Arakawa skated slow and conservative with 5 solo triples completed. Arakawa was like a mix of Slutskaya/Cohen. Her strengths aren't as high as theirs, but her weaknesses weren't as glaring as theirs. She has the flexibility and somewhat had musicality with a respectable (though COPed version) LP to be in-between Cohen and Slute in that regard, but she had the edges and jumps to be above Cohen and behind Slute in that regard. IMO, as a skater, she's the one who I think was the best combination of TES and PCS.

It depends what perspective it is from. From a purely skating perspective probably. From a marketability and fan interest perspective both Cohen and Slutskaya as Olympic Champion would be a far better result. Actually from a marketability and fan interest perspective any of the contenders (Cohen, Slutskya, young Kostner on her home ice, Ando who is way more popular in Japan than Shizuka is, Rochette, young Asada, Kwan, even young Meissner) minus Suguri winning would have been a more desired result. It was kind of the equivalent if Sato had won the gold in 94.

VGThuy

I don't think Slutskaya was that marketable no matter what she won, and I do think Cohen exhausted her marketability which wasn't contingent on winning gold. She did a movie and it didn't go anywhere. Kostner's career has been pretty good because she kept competing. I don't think her winning a gold before her prime would have really helped matters too much other than more endorsements in the beginning. Young Asada I could see, but if she kept losing to Kim afterwards, it would be seen as more of a flash in the pan win like the two OGMs prior to Torino and the past two we have now. Hasn't Shizuka been the one who was running those tours in the subsequent years after Torino giving Ando jobs? I think Ando's popularity wasn't that extensive at least not more so than Shizuka. Rochette? I think she actually reached what she could reach. I don't think Kwan would have hit any new heights in popularity. She was already living the OGM lifestyle and had a limited fame in the U.S. that transcended figure skating that most don't get to enjoy and again, it was still a limited fame no matter how much media and millions she made from it.

viennese

wrecked
Lady Catherine de Bourgh would have won the gold medal, if we are speaking of ladies figure skating.

It is of all subjects her delight. There are few people in England [which is the same as the world], she supposes, who have more true enjoyment of free skating than Herself, or a better natural taste. If she had ever learnt, she should have been a great proficient.

Results:

1. de Bourgh, Lady Catherine
2. de Bourgh, Miss Anne
3. No Medal Awarded: None shall deserve it

Kateri

void beast
Lady Catherine de Bourgh would have won the gold medal, if we are speaking of ladies figure skating.

It is of all subjects her delight. There are few people in England [which is the same as the world], she supposes, who have more true enjoyment of free skating than Herself, or a better natural taste. If she had ever learnt, she should have been a great proficient.

Results:

1. de Bourgh, Lady Catherine
2. de Bourgh, Miss Anne
3. No Medal Awarded: None shall deserve it
I complain about commentators, but thank god Mr Collins never sat in the booth!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I've commented in other threads about 2005-2010 and the early stages of IJS (COP, whatever version it got to throughout those years) and I really think so many of the results are ridiculous and the skating is unwatchable as a serious competition. It was the same story always: the top skaters were struggling to get above a 7.50 or maybe an 8.00 towards the end, and skaters like Contesti and Lysacek were nearly matching the PCS of Takahashi and Chen. All of the top tier of skaters was usually clumped together close enough on PCS that they really didn't matter much.

I mean.. the year Buttle won Worlds the entire top 6 in the SP basically got the same PCS, but Buttle came in 6th of 6 -- even behind Verner in overall PCS in the segment. Looking quickly at the ladies and there was a little over 2 points difference between the top 9 in PCS in the SP there.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
I've commented in other threads about 2005-2010 and the early stages of IJS (COP, whatever version it got to throughout those years) and I really think so many of the results are ridiculous and the skating is unwatchable as a serious competition. It was the same story always: the top skaters were struggling to get above a 7.50 or maybe an 8.00 towards the end, and skaters like Contesti and Lysacek were nearly matching the PCS of Takahashi and Chen. All of the top tier of skaters was usually clumped together close enough on PCS that they really didn't matter much.

I mean.. the year Buttle won Worlds the entire top 6 in the SP basically got the same PCS, but Buttle came in 6th of 6 -- even behind Verner in overall PCS in the segment. Looking quickly at the ladies and there was a little over 2 points difference between the top 9 in PCS in the SP there.

Heck Lysacek often got higher PCS than Takahashi. It might be his getting higher PCS than Takahashi in the short that ultimately won him the gold since Takahashi beat him on TES in the short but finished behind on PCS. That is IMO what made Takahashi feel like he had to try the quad to beat Lysacek for the gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information