#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

aml78

:confused: She hasn't moved to Toronto.

Ok. My bad. She’s been there with Trennt quite a lot so I just assumed. Also a friend posted about visiting her and Trennt in ON. Seemed to point to her being there for more than a visit.

chantilly

I adore Kaetyn but I also think she’s done and should be. She’s never really been totally consistent and the women coming up have harder technical content and some are doing enough PCS wise to close that gap and advantage she’d have.

She went out with a bang with a team gold Olympic and individual bronze Olympic medal and world championship.

If she comes back I fear the same fate will happen to her as Patrick Chan. She’d be struggling to keep up technically.

skatfan

It's my understanding that Skate Canada updated its rules so that to be considered for the international championships slots, skaters have to compete in the GP series (to avoid the Weaver/Poje situation this season). So deciding to do the Rock the Rink tour is saying she's not in this season.

Maybe she is done - she really did it all at the end of the 2017-2018 season and no one would blame her for retiring from eligible competition. On the other hand, unless she does something to lose her eligibility, she doesn't have to decide or announce.

Erin

Banned Member
It's my understanding that Skate Canada updated its rules so that to be considered for the international championships slots, skaters have to compete in the GP series (to avoid the Weaver/Poje situation this season).

Do you have a link for this? I haven’t seen this at all anywhere so I’m curious where this is coming from.

I don’t expect her to come back in any event but I would be really surprised if Skate Canada made a rule change like that.

skatfan

Do you have a link for this? I haven’t seen this at all anywhere so I’m curious where this is coming from.

I don’t expect her to come back in any event but I would be really surprised if Skate Canada made a rule change like that.

This is real, here's a link to the post that has the official link: #3,874

aml78

Given Kaetlyn knows this, by going on tour she’s making the decision to sit out next season. I think with two seasons off, it’s pretty clear she’s retired. Not surprised. Just sad.

Erin

Banned Member
This is real, here's a link to the post that has the official link: #3,874

I've seen that before and that's to be named to the National Team, which is about getting funding from Skate Canada. You can be assigned to the world team without being on the national team. For example, there were people who were not National team members who were named as alternates for the World team. I also suspect that there is some sloppiness going on in what that wording actually says but we will see when the National Team is actually named.

Last edited:

skatfan

I've seen that before and that's to be named to the National Team, which is about getting funding from Skate Canada. You can be assigned to the world team without being on the national team. For example, there were people who were not National team members who were named as alternates for the World team. I also suspect that there is some sloppiness going on in what that wording actually says but we will see when the National Team is actually named.

Ah, I see what you mean. Different folks have been interpreting this differently.

So, for Weaver/POJE it would’ve do the tour and forgo funding, or the reverse. I’m guessing that the theme of the new tour “Rock the Rink” makes it less likely they could skate their competitive programs as cold spots in the tour plus 30 tour dates would be pretty wearing on their bodies.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Ah, if she wants to retire from competing, it's understandable. She certainly had her day in the sun. Let's all remember the great performances, the super-delightful personality and the adorably cute face, rather than gloom about what could have been.

honey

Ah, if she wants to retire from competing, it's understandable. She certainly had her day in the sun. Let's all remember the great performances, the super-delightful personality and the adorably cute face, rather than gloom about what could have been.

I agree there’s no reason for doom and gloom when an athlete has a satisfying end to their competitive career and moves on.

Somewhere around the 2015/2016 season she really did look like someone who you would wonder about what could have been. But she turned it around in a big way and what she did in the next two seasons is pretty incredible.

(My only “what could have been” is wondering what the Olympic result in 2018 might have been had she had a more consistent season leading up to it, but that’s really nitpicking :p)

shutterbug

Hmm. It'll be interesting to see these programs again at CSOI in a few weeks when she's put some more miles on them. Sorry to see the 3loop gone. :( It became her signature jump the last couple of years of her competitive career and was really spectacular live.

I wonder when/if she'll formally announce her retirement. Maybe she'll do her friends at Skate Canada a favour and hold off until a few months after tickets for Worlds in Montreal go one sale. Or maybe she'll follow V/M's lead and just let us assume. :D

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder when/if she'll formally announce her retirement.
Skate Canada published her press release on Thursday, May 2nd (includes embedded tribute YT video): https://skatecanada.ca/2019/05/worl...etlyn-osmond-retires-from-competitive-skating

May 3rd:
Her Player's Own Voice essay: https://www.cbc.ca/playersvoice/entry/a-career-for-the-ages-ends-at-23
CBC's Scott Russell's tribute article: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...re-skating-retirement-scott-russell-1.5119954
"In her first interview since announcing her retirement from figure skating on Thursday, world champion and three-time Olympic medallist Kaetlyn Osmond tells CBC News' John Northcott she is opening up a figure skating development camp in Newfoundland." https://www.cbc.ca/sports/kaetlyn-o...-after-retiring-from-figure-skating-1.5121683
Kaetlyn's conversation with Andi Petrillo: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/kaetlyn-osmond-reflects-on-her-illustrious-figure-skating-career-1.5122844

GSD news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/kaetlyn-osmond-retires-from-competition.105589/

ETA that she confirmed via Instagram stories last night that this is her new personal website: http://kaetlynosmond.com/

Last edited:

cheremary

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I recently came across this podcast that Kaetlyn did between the Olympics and Worlds last year. (It's dated March 13, 2018.) It's a really well-done interview and goes a bit more in-depth into her upbringing and interests. She and the interviewer have a good dynamic and it's worth a listen:
https://shanefen.podbean.com/e/ep-31-kaetlyn-osmond-the-performance-in-competition/

Sylvia

TBD
Recently retired Kaetlyn Osmond skates into Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame by Terry Jones (June 5, 2019): https://edmontonsun.com/sports/othe...mond-skates-into-edmonton-sports-hall-of-fame
The battle to be known as ‘The Home of Kaetlyn Osmond’ has escalated.
Kaetlyn Osmond of Edmonton, a.k.a. Kaetlyn Osmond of Marystown, N.L., was last year’s world figure-skating champion and took gold, silver and bronze Olympic medals during her career.
She will be inducted into the Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame on Monday.
Osmond will be joined by builders Bryan Anderson, Gary Meadus and Wen Wang in the Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the Winspear Centre. The event is open to the public with no admission charge.
https://www.winspearcentre.com/visit/directions/
https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/recognition_awards/hall-of-fame.aspx

Sylvia

TBD
Kaetlyn's IG post yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzQhy9AA7Km/
I know it’s been a while but I’m finally back on my own website !!! I took some time away to try and get out of my own head, it worked a little, but I really did miss writing and hearing from everyone who commented in!
I want to know how everyone’s June was! With school ending, training summer camps starting, I want to know what everyone’s plans are for the summer months!! So please reach out, write to me, give me ideas on things to do! Read my new post if you want to know what my June looked like. It was pretty uneventful to be honest 😜 .
Link to read: http://kaetlynosmond.com/june-28

Copying over from the Canadian Ladies thread in GSD:

AduCarr

Is anyone able to watch Kaetlyn’s latest interview and summarize what she had to say? It’s not watchable outside of Canada.

Here you have a little summary:

Touring it’s been so much fun for her. She also remarked that Tessa and Scott had several emotional moments, but in general it’s been really fun.

She enjoys being able to perform to whatever music she chooses and connect to it while performing on shows without worrying about elements.

She is not satisfied with her level of skating though as she thinks she can improve.

She’s asked if she follows current figure skating and she’s asked about “The Children of the Quad”.

She mentions that the tech side of skating is impressive to watch.. On the other hand, she thinks that adding ultra C elements has made skating lose speed and artistry, making skating programs less original.

She thinks women’s skating is moving in the right direction. She states that you can’t stop evolution of skating and the increase in technical ability, and it should be supported. We can’t however lose the traditional / artistic side of skating.

She stresses that people should we rewarded for their ultra c elements without implying a rise in PCS. She says that tech and PCS judging should be more accurate and independent from each other. And if the isu manages to do that, skating will for sure be moving in the right direction.

She’s sure that jumping phenoms will eventually develop more artistry as they mature.

She admires Kostornaia, Rika and Satoko.

In 2020 she will be having some skating camps in Newfoundland, and she will he starting school in fall. She’ll be studying journalism.

Sylvia

TBD
What an incredible night, filled with incredible people! And yes I was wearing a soup can train.
6 months after I announced my retirement from competitive skating, I finally got to celebrate with the friends, family, and team that got me through all the highs and lows of my career. They helped me build dreams beyond what I thought were possible, and they got me to achieve more than what I could dream. They all taught me so many lessons, and guided me through my childhood, teenage, and early adult years. They all structured me and all have a piece in making me who I am today.
This celebration couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. I needed the last few months to digest on my own what is to come next. I’m finally ready to step out on my own. Be who I can be. Figure out who that person even is. I was looking around the room at the people who built me last night, and felt so much admiration. It’s scary to figure out a life without a team of people behind you guiding the way. But I know if I ever need them, which I know I will, they will always be there. Forever my team. I couldn’t do life without them.
:)

Global News article/video interview (December 16, 2019):
Excerpts:
The 24 year old was in Edmonton on Monday to help promote The Next Step, a resource listing for Alberta athletes transitioning or retiring from competitive sport.
“We’ve modeled it somewhat after what the Canadian Olympic Committee offers,” Dr. Marni Wesner explained. “There’s sort of seven key areas that athletes struggle with: medical, physical therapy or their ongoing rehab, psychological struggles, dietetics, career counselling, financial planning and peer support.”
The Next Step hopes to be a one-stop support shop for athletes of all levels trying to transition from one level to another.
For her part, Osmond is running figure skating camps back home in Newfoundland. She’s teaching the basics, along with education on finding the joy in skating and being open about the mental side of the sport.
Two young skaters will be selected to come to Edmonton for the chance to train with her coaches at the Ice Palace.
“It’s been really exciting and hopefully I’ll be able to bring that across Canada more than just Newfoundland but right now I like the idea of being home.”
She’ll also be heading back to school in September to study journalism.
“I’m actually doing really well now,” Osmond said. “In the last couple of months, I feel like I’ve finally figured out where I want to be and who I want to become.”
:respec:

Last edited:

aml78

Kaetlyn started sharing her thoughts in her new blog back on December 9, 2019:

In her latest entry, she talks about moving to Toronto and living alone. I thought she moved to the Toronto area to live with Trennt a while ago?

I love hearing from Kaetlyn. She’s such a sweet soul.

Sylvia

TBD
Kaetlyn is the official Athlete Ambassador for 2020 Canadians in Mississauga (Jan. 8th press release): https://skatecanada.ca/2020/01/kaet...canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/
Her latest blog post:
From the end:
On top of the things I have mentioned above, you will be able to see me in some other shows. Most upcoming is a show in Kingston on February 1st. It is an outdoor show, so dress warm. And most exciting is going back out on Stars On Ice this spring! I am sure this is more to come, but I will continuously keep appearing everywhere. You can’t keep me from the ice!

Always remember, if you happen to see me somewhere, please come say hi. I love meeting new people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information