2 Dead in Driver-less TESLA

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Here is the link: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...er-fiery-tesla-crash-in-spring-officials-say/

It's been all over the news today. I don't know anything about Tesla and its AutoPilot driving ability, but no one was even sitting behind the wheel.... Is technology really THAT FAR advanced that people are "driving" when not even sitting behind the wheel??? Or is this just another Darwin Award? I was amazed at how much water was needed to finally stop the fire which burned for 4 hours and required over 30,000 gallons to extinguish.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Here is the link: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...er-fiery-tesla-crash-in-spring-officials-say/

It's been all over the news today. I don't know anything about Tesla and its AutoPilot driving ability, but no one was even sitting behind the wheel.... Is technology really THAT FAR advanced that people are "driving" when not even sitting behind the wheel??? Or is this just another Darwin Award? I was amazed at how much water was needed to finally stop the fire which burned for 4 hours and required over 30,000 gallons to extinguish.
A terrible tragedy. "All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. ... As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates"

You could not pay me enough to let my car do my driving. But that is just me. This is not the first Tesla to catch fire. The batteries seem to be susceptible.

I have driven a Tesla (my brother's). And I will say they zoom. Stomp on the gas and you are (on a straightaway) at the end of the road before you knew you left :)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
A terrible tragedy. "All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. ... As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates"

You could not pay me enough to let my car do my driving. But that is just me. This is not the first Tesla to catch fire. The batteries seem to be susceptible.

I have driven a Tesla (my brother's). And I will say they zoom. Stomp on the gas and you are (on a straightaway) at the end of the road before you knew you left :)
But that's in the future, right? I'm with you, though, no way would I depend on a machine to do ALL my driving for me. If a kid runs out in front of me and the car reacts before me, fine. But I'm not going to climb in the back seat and let it do all the work. A friend got his son a Tesla for his 16th bday and he showed me how it can parallel park on its own, which I thought was cool. But that's a hell of a lot different than not sitting behind the wheel!!!

If I had to hazard a guess, considering it was late on a Saturday night, and good judgment was not present, I bet there's alcohol involved. I'm sure the details will come forth soon. The article mentioned autopsies being performed, but they were burnt to a crisp after burning for over 4 hours!! There can't be much left to autopsy.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I see experimenting with the self driving trucks. God knows we push these truck drivers past their limits and that machinery is huge and deadly. Would automation be safer for these long haulers? I don't know.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Ouch. I think we should perfect with smaller vehicles. A mistake with a truck can be catastrophic. I think the driverless idea is extraneous. How about working on world hunger.

Japanfan

Ouch. I think we should perfect with smaller vehicles. A mistake with a truck can be catastrophic. I think the driverless idea is extraneous. How about working on world hunger.

I do get your point.

However, a driver-less car could arguably have some advantages. Particularly for people who aren't very good drivers, like me. Or, for people who are stressed or exhausted, and just not up to driving.

In any case it's going to take a very long time before such cars become the norm. Probably not in my lifetime (I'm 62).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information