1991 Worlds - Mens Competition

bardtoob

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
Still looking for Paul Wylie's freeskate from this event. If I recall correctly, Stojko and Urmanov did quads and I'm also thinking Elvis was the first man to do it in combination (with a double toe) at this event - or was that the next year?

olympic

Still looking for Paul Wylie's freeskate from this event. If I recall correctly, Stojko and Urmanov did quads and I'm also thinking Elvis was the first man to do it in combination (with a double toe) at this event - or was that the next year?
Thank you. Slightly off-topic: Kurt Browning did the 1st ratified quad at 1988 Worlds. Were there any quads at 1989 or 1990 prior to 1991? Thanks again for any info

Erin

Banned Member
Bowman was robbed of the bronze.

Yes!! I will never understand why the judges put him 5th in the free skate. He had so much more content than Barna, and while Barna’s short was the highlight of the event for me, his free wasn’t all that interesting choreographically. And Eldredge may had the jumps, but the second mark should have dropped him down. I thought Bowman had the best combination of the technical and presentation of the three.

I have thoughts on Todd's purple pants.

As do I! Although the first question is, are they purple? Maybe mauve?

I wish Vanessa Riley had been on this panel to give Todd a costume deduction. If she thought Fadeev’s were bad in 1989, I feel like these ones were worse. Even if they weren’t white.

Paul’s free skate from this event is one of my holy grails, would love to see it. And yes, this is the event where Elvis did the first quad toe-double toe combination.

Re Kurt, everyone talks a lot about his triple-triples at this event, but the other thing that really impressed me was that almost all of his jumps in his free skate were out of transitions. It was a very IJS-friendly program before IJS.

Erin

Banned Member
Petrenko was better artistically. Browning had more 3-3 combinations. The judges went for the jumps. I would have given the gold to Petrenko. He didn't have to wait too long though.

I think it’s debatable that Petrenko was better artistically. To me, Browning had the more interesting programs. He certainly had the more intricate programs. If we were looking at this on a program components perspective, I would give Petrenko the Performance and Execution mark, Browning the Transitions mark, and I think you could go either way on Choreography and Interpretation.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Bowman was robbed of the bronze.
Sacrilege. Mr. Eldredge's performance was undoubtedly worthy of the Chevrolet paddles. Mr. Bowman could only daydream about completing a double toe-triple toe combination.
I have thoughts on Todd's purple pants.
Aren't they superb? Mr. Bottems actually wore a similar pair to Easter Sunday Mass,although I admit he can't quite robustly fill them out as Todd Eldredge in his prime.

-BB

briancoogaert

I rewatched the top 5 with pleasure !
And I came to the conclusion that Bowman should have been 4th in the Long. LOL
In fact, I agree with the top 5 except that I would have had Bowman over Barna in the LP. ;)

briancoogaert

I think it’s debatable that Petrenko was better artistically. To me, Browning had the more interesting programs. He certainly had the more intricate programs. If we were looking at this on a program components perspective, I would give Petrenko the Performance and Execution mark, Browning the Transitions mark, and I think you could go either way on Choreography and Interpretation.
Absolutely, for me, Petrenko was probably more elegant and polished, but it's not clear that he was more artistic. I really like the energy Kurt Browning has put in that LP !

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information