1989-1992 Compulsory Vault: Silivas Vs Miller

1989-1992 Compulsory Vault: Silivas Vs Miller, who wins?

• Total voters

bardtoob

At the 1989 World Championships Silivas scored a perfect 10, the highest scoring compulsory vault of the meet.

At the 1992 Olympics Miller scored a 9.950, the highest scoring compulsory vault of the meet.

Who wins?

gk_891

I'm surprised that Silivas did so well on that vault as vault was her weak event. Both did very nicely. Can't really decide who did it better.

I think the greatest compulsory vault from that quad that I remember of was Laschenova's from the 1989 Worlds. I can't seem to find it on youtube though.

SpeedySucks

Interesting note about Silivas’s vault - she was actually the first gymnast to compete on vault that day, at like 9am. Even with her reputation, it’s pretty amazing that she got a 10 for that vault.

gk_891

I did find Chusovitina's compulsory vault from 1991. Really nice power on this vault. I think 9.837 was a little low.

floskate

Vacant
Difficult this because we're comparing a very quick glimpse at a dodgy home video with a video broadcast vault with multiple replays from multiple angles. For me it's a tie. Silivas had grown and gained a bit more power by 1989. (Her FTY in the AA at 1989 Europeans was probably one of the best of her career.) This just seems to really pop up off teh horse and when she nailed landings she really nailed them. There is NO hesitation at all and she presents the landing straight away. Shannon's is beautiful with gorgeous form and it has that added virtuosity of the arms flying out before landing but she knocks her knees together and pauses to absorb the landing before presenting so given that I'm awarding a tie. :D

bardtoob

I went with Silivas. She is a little more piked. She seemed to have completed a little more of the features of her air position before landing. She appeared to get more amplitude and distance.

bardtoob

I added tie as an option. I suppose they both could deserve a 10.

Miller was not really lacking anything.

Bellanca

It's pretty close, but I give Silivas the edge because her vault appeared to have more height, distance, and slightly better form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information