The Dance Hall 11: Movin' On Up 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea82

Me too. It would have been terrible to choose between Mrazeks and Taschlers next season. And I'm honestly not so sure if the Taschlers would be the one who would be sent to Boston. The Mrazeks are moving up quickly.
And losing the 2nd spot would have impacted strongly also the Olympic chances as it is more easier to keep it than regaining it next year.

angi

Have to say that while the top 4 skated well, it was the teams below them that I enjoyed the most, Lajoie/Lagha and Carreira/Ponomarenko especially. Mrazeks and L/Q were also super impressive for starting out of juniors teams, their FD performance were also highlights.
Was interesting to see how close C/B were to having the same disaster Taschlers had in the RD with their lift, experience helped them save it and Evan was smart enough to restart the lift and position Madi on his boot for their stationary lift, but he rushed it and they only got a level 2. Still, it really goes to show what experience can do for skaters, Taschlers could have also restarted the lift (it never got up) but they were so shocked by the mistake that they let the oppertunity pass.

Trillian

So relieved Czech kept two spots.

I almost thought they hadn't when I did the math after two groups. I'm so used to thinking countries with 2+ entries just need one to finish in the top 12 that I forgot 13 + 14/15 also work mathematically. Just doing a quick skim back through results under the current qualifying system, the only other cases I found where countries qualified two spots without a skater/team in the top 12 were the Swedish men in 2008 and the German pairs in 2019 (13 + 14 in both cases).

Anyway: whew.

chantilly

CBC TV coverage reignited the rumours of P/C return.
Similar vibes to the rumours when V/M returned for the last Olympic cycle.
Also C/B interview seems to solidify their staying in for 2026.
G/P are still pretty vague.
I’m thinking the return of P/C will possibly change things.

litenkyckling

CBC TV coverage reignited the rumours of P/C return.
Similar vibes to the rumours when V/M returned for the last Olympic cycle.
Also C/B interview seems to solidify their staying in for 2026.
G/P are still pretty vague.
I’m thinking the return of P/C will possibly change things.
In what way? Just interested to know what was said!

chantilly

In what way? Just interested to know what was said
It was said during the marks I believe of L/B.

Chatter about teams going/ qualifying for Olympics for France.

Paraphrasing but saying if the rumours are true of a P/C return.

Asher commented that he had no idea if it were true but it would likely annoy some of the other teams.

But the fact that the competition is in Montreal, Cizeron was there and the fact that CBC has a relationship with IAM due to it being a Canadian school and run by Canadians etc.

The skating world is pretty small and tight.

I just think where there’s smoke there’s fire and the fact that the rumour came up again now.

Don’t remember it coming up at GP Final.

But then again CBC didn’t cover it for TV.

So who knows.

It’s mostly a gut feeling for me and one I similarly felt when the rumours percolated of the return of V/M.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think that whatever smoke you're seeing regarding a PapCiz return is being fueled by the same social media conspiracy theorists who have been fueling all the ugly Prince William affair/Kate Middleton dead rumors.

FSLover17

What were everyone's favourite performances from this week in ice dance?

Mine were:

1. Lajoie/Lagha Roses' FD
  2. Gilles/Poirier Wuthering Heights FD
  3. Lim/Quan Umbrellas of Cherbourg FD
  4. Orihara/Pirinen Chicago FD
  5. Fear/Gibson Sweet Dreams RD
HM: Demouget/le Mercier in general, Lopareva/Brissaud RD, Mrazeks' speed/power!

I've also written up a blog post with an extensive review of the different performances if anyone is interested: https://blissful-sarahtiwa1.wordpress.com/2024/03/23/2024-worlds-ice-dance-post-event-review/

Karen-W

Okay sure.🙄
So, apart from fan speculation based upon their current activities - which aren't all that different from what they did last year - that makes you think they're coming back? There isn't anything concrete out there from anyone remotely associated with them or IAM that would indicate they are considering a comeback. I follow both of them on IG and I'm just not seeing any reason to believe the rumors or consider the rumors anything more than wild speculation from their legions of uber fans.

yurokis40

Why the need to gift C/B with another Gold medal, wasn't the first one enough? Asking for a mildly concerned Ice Dance fan. Apart from the posing and acrobatics and their outward appearances what is there that we're missing? Sigh.
Piper and Paul deserved this world title, but ice dance is a business there was no way Marie-france and IAM would lose the title in there home base even if it meant giving chock and bates another world title, IAM tainted the judging pool and they needed piper and paul to be lowballed in the RD to ensure there bought win.

Bigbird

Piper and Paul deserved this world title, but ice dance is a business there was no way Marie-france and IAM would lose the title in there home base even if it meant giving chock and bates another world title, IAM tainted the judging pool and they needed piper and paul to be lowballed in the RD to ensure there bought win.
We need a breath of fresh air, and new talent to cheer for. Waiting patiently.

Kateri

void beast
So, apart from fan speculation based upon their current activities - which aren't all that different from what they did last year - that makes you think they're coming back? There isn't anything concrete out there from anyone remotely associated with them or IAM that would indicate they are considering a comeback. I follow both of them on IG and I'm just not seeing any reason to believe the rumors or consider the rumors anything more than wild speculation from their legions of uber fans.
Based on their interviews, I don't think for a second they're coming back.

Karen-W

agreed...Gabi in particular has had enough of whatever this is.
That's the impression I have too. I just don't see them coming back despite the rumors.

In other news... Orihara/Pirinen are soliciting music suggestions for next season!

zigzig

What were everyone's favourite performances from this week in ice dance?

Mine were:

1. Lajoie/Lagha Roses' FD
  2. Gilles/Poirier Wuthering Heights FD
  3. Lim/Quan Umbrellas of Cherbourg FD
  4. Orihara/Pirinen Chicago FD
  5. Fear/Gibson Sweet Dreams RD
HM: Demouget/le Mercier in general, Lopareva/Brissaud RD, Mrazeks' speed/power!

I've also written up a blog post with an extensive review of the different performances if anyone is interested: https://blissful-sarahtiwa1.wordpress.com/2024/03/23/2024-worlds-ice-dance-post-event-review/

Chock/Bates FD
G/P FD
C/P FD
Lim/Quan FD
Orihara/Pirinen FD
Ko/Ko FD

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It was said during the marks I believe of L/B.

Chatter about teams going/ qualifying for Olympics for France.

Paraphrasing but saying if the rumours are true of a P/C return.

Asher commented that he had no idea if it were true but it would likely annoy some of the other teams.

But the fact that the competition is in Montreal, Cizeron was there and the fact that CBC has a relationship with IAM due to it being a Canadian school and run by Canadians etc.

The skating world is pretty small and tight.

I just think where there’s smoke there’s fire and the fact that the rumour came up again now.

Don’t remember it coming up at GP Final.

But then again CBC didn’t cover it for TV.

So who knows.

It’s mostly a gut feeling for me and one I similarly felt when the rumours percolated of the return of V/M.

I understood why V/M came back. I don't understand why P/C would want to. I think the situations of both teams were very different.

So I am really curious, if they do return, what it is they want to show us.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Why did V&M come back? I mean I was thrilled by it but I don't really know their reasons.
To be as brief as possible they didn't finish 2014 in a good place. And I don't mean silver. I mean it was clear there were struggles with their material (the FD), their coaching and training situation, it was just no longer a healthy process for them. Especially Tessa. I think for a team like that, and as a fan of them, it was really nice to see them come back, fall in love with skating again, and put out material they loved, were proud of and was great. Also who knows where Scott would be today in his coaching career had he not spent those two seasons in a really positive environment.

So I saw the benefit for them. They finished something they dedicated their whole lives to with good memories, experiences and grew to love their sport again. They still had something to prove, to themselves at the very least.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Pondering the US dance scene when ChoBat finally retire:

CarPon have solidified a number two position for the time being. Despite the fluke fall, B/S are on an upwards trajectory. Both Z/K and FlorDes are audience pleasers in an era where Fear/Gibson over-achieves and that bodes well for them.

GrePar are going to stagnate without some massive changes, Pate/Bye have hit their upward limit given their (her) technical limitations and Pedersen/Chen are going nowhere.

That leaves the wild card of Neset/Markelov. Always hard to predict the Junior to Senior transition, but I’m going to go out on a little twig and predict they will be US #1 by the 2030 Olys. :) Potentially they have it all. There they will lose gold to Mouaden/Bigot.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
To be as brief as possible they didn't finish 2014 in a good place. And I don't mean silver. I mean it was clear there were struggles with their material (the FD), their coaching and training situation, it was just no longer a healthy process for them. Especially Tessa. I think for a team like that, and as a fan of them, it was really nice to see them come back, fall in love with skating again, and put out material they loved, were proud of and was great. Also who knows where Scott would be today in his coaching career had he not spent those two seasons in a really positive environment.

So I saw the benefit for them. They finished something they dedicated their whole lives to with good memories, experiences and grew to love their sport again. They still had something to prove, to themselves at the very least.
:love: I maybe had a better idea at the time, but thank you for reviewing it. I was so glad they came back; it was such a positive. All of their comps in the comeback, but especially the Olys of course, are among my favorite ice dance memories.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Pondering the US dance scene when ChoBat finally retire:

CarPon have solidified a number two position for the time being. Despite the fluke fall, B/S are on an upwards trajectory. Both Z/K and FlorDes are audience pleasers in an era where Fear/Gibson over-achieves and that bodes well for them.

GrePar are going to stagnate without some massive changes, Pate/Bye have hit their upward limit given their (her) technical limitations and Pedersen/Chen are going nowhere.

That leaves the wild card of Neset/Markelov. Always hard to predict the Junior to Senior transition, but I’m going to go out on a little twig and predict they will be US #1 by the 2030 Olys. :) Potentially they have it all. There they will lose gold to Mouaden/Bigot.
I wouldn't call N&M a wild card, we just don't know how quickly they will adjust and rise in seniors.

A wild card I wouldn't entirely count out is Wolfkostin & Tsarevski

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That was an extremely specific prediction. :D But I like both teams, so I'm okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information