AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Really quality song chosen by Ava, I’m just loving jazzman. Cant believe I got to see Beth right in front of me with Taylor Dayne a year and a half ago

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

It was refreshing to see Ava have a jump element, the double axel, second to last in the program. Does construction of the program still garner PCS credit and consideration? One of the few skaters that doesn’t have all the jumps jammed towards the beginning.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I was very proud of Ava continuing on throughout the free program. You could see she was nervous and didn’t let it get the best of her and continued on. Very close to getting second here. Usually for a US lady as soon as you see the nerves they pretty much implode but she was far from that.

Last edited:

Willin

It's crazy she was only two points out from the silver with no 3-3 in the FS. She does a 3Lz-3T in the SP. If she can add that to the free she'd be a real threat. But she's injured and she has time to get there - she's only 17.

It's also crazy to see how well the USFS bonus system at the lower levels is working. I think they started that in 2015? and now we're seeing the dividends. We have at least 3 US ladies with a 3Lz-3T and several more with other 3-3s. Maybe they don't all have perfect technique, but it's better than when we only had 2-3 skaters with a 3-3.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
It's crazy she was only two points out from the silver with no 3-3 in the FS. She does a 3Lz-3T in the SP. If she can add that to the free she'd be a real threat. But she's injured and she has time to get there - she's only 17.

It's also crazy to see how well the USFS bonus system at the lower levels is working. I think they started that in 2015? and now we're seeing the dividends. We have at least 3 US ladies with a 3Lz-3T and several more with other 3-3s. Maybe they don't all have perfect technique, but it's better than when we only had 2-3 skaters with a 3-3.
She didn’t need the triple triple in the long. She is already maxing out the jumps with the two double axels and seven triples. What cost her second the was e call in her second lutz.

skatingguy

decently
Four Continents - top 4 Women - jump base values - not including bonus, or taking into account errors.

Mone Chiba
Total = 45.40

Chaeyeon Kim
Total = 45.40

Rinka Watanabe
Total = 50.50

Ava Marie Ziegler
Total = 45.00

Watanabe has an advantage because of the triple Axel, and the difference between Chiba/Kim, and Ziegler is the difference between a double loop, and double toe. Ziegler's technical content is competitive if she delivers it cleanly, or at least cleaner than she did today. If she can also move a combo, or two into the 2nd half that will also help to increase her base value versus the other top women who are already doing that.

carriecmu0503

She completes 7 triples in the long program, which is the maximum. With this scoring system, it does NOT matter if triples are done in combo with each other or done separately. The value is the exact same.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
She completes 7 triples in the long program, which is the maximum. With this scoring system, it does NOT matter if triples are done in combo with each other or done separately. The value is the exact same.
You're right, of course. But I consider that a major flaw of the judging system. Doing a 3s-3t and a solo 3f is not equivalent to doing a 3f-3t and a solo 3s.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
You're right, of course. But I consider that a major flaw of the judging system. Doing a 3s-3t and a solo 3f is not equivalent to doing a 3f-3t and a solo 3s.
Well, the skater who did the flip in combination can repeat it, so that is her 'bonus.'

I'm not sure how I feel about it. The margins between the jumps are pretty thin already so a bonus of any kind would be significant.

I do like that there is more of an incentive to do technical elements well, but national bias keeps the GOE framework from achieving it's full potential.

Flips and lutzes have become almost as much of a deduction magnet as attempting 3loop on the back of a combination. It's not a bad thing, I suppose, but it is critical that young U.S. skaters get quality, consistent judging. Ahem...

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So how many points will Ava get for this competition? Wow I really thought she should’ve medaled here
World Standings have already been updated with 4CCs points.

ETA - for what it's worth, I think she and Lindsay are pretty safe to remain in the WS Top 24 even after the skaters behind them who are competing at Worlds (You, Glenn) earn their ISU Championships points and overtake them. Repond is the only other skater behind them who is likely to earn enough incremental points at Worlds to overtake either Ziegler or Thorngren.

Also, they are sitting at 12 & 13 on the SB list respectively and there aren't 11 or 12 skaters who are likely to overtake them there either. All in all, I'd be shocked if they both don't have 2 GP assignments when the initial assignments are released in June.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I'm seeing a lot of discussion here and in the pbp thread about the points Ava left on the table due to her jumping, but her L3 spin and L3 step sequence lost her 1.1 pts in base score vs Watanabe (all L4s), L4's on those would have given her the medal instead.
Yes and if she landed a quad she could have won. There are a lot of different scenarios but I think the take away of the same. She was pretty close to getting bronze or silver. 😝

AYS

🌻
Yes and if she landed a quad she could have won. There are a lot of different scenarios but I think the take away of the same. She was pretty close to getting bronze or silver. 😝
I point it out because the discussion showed how much people focus on jumping on the be all and end all, whereas spins and step sequences can be difference makers.
Signed,
Jason Brown fan

Sarah

I point it out because the discussion showed how much people focus on jumping on the be all and end all, whereas spins and step sequences can be difference makers.
Signed,
Jason Brown fan
I believe Ava has lost points on her spins going back to juniors so I hope this is something her team works on in the off season as it’s a way to gain points. Same for steps as she has a lot to like in terms of edges so I hate seeing her lose points there.

That said, it’s great to see her do so well. Small mistakes, but nothing terrible. It’s one thing to skate perfectly and miss out, it’s another to have small mistakes and be close. This should show her she’s in the mix and she just needs to continue to do what she’s doing and hopefully clean up a few things. Hopefully this sets her up nicely for next season.

Taso

I believe Ava has lost points on her spins going back to juniors so I hope this is something her team works on in the off season as it’s a way to gain points. Same for steps as she has a lot to like in terms of edges so I hate seeing her lose points there.

That said, it’s great to see her do so well. Small mistakes, but nothing terrible. It’s one thing to skate perfectly and miss out, it’s another to have small mistakes and be close. This should show her she’s in the mix and she just needs to continue to do what she’s doing and hopefully clean up a few things. Hopefully this sets her up nicely for next season.
Thankfully her new coaching team's skaters' tend to have fabulous spins and footwork, so I am hopeful!

DreamSkates

Right and she’s doing very well this year. Isn’t this her first year in Seniors?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The Philadelphia Inquirer has a nice piece about how Isabeau and Amber got to be friends, and about their upcoming trip to Worlds.

They have individual goals as well as a shared one: to get a third woman back on the team at the 2025 World Championships. To do that, Levito and Glenn’s placements must add up to no higher than 13 in Montreal. ...

“I think both of us are just trying to go there and skate as cleanly as possible,” Glenn said. “We both have a difficult content and the skill level to do what it takes. And, honestly, I just want both of us to do as good as possible so we can get those slots back. If that’s Isabeau, I go, ‘Beat me by 20 points. You go get as high as you can — please!’ Going into this, it feels really like it’s going to be a team effort.”

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Really quality song chosen by Ava, I’m just loving jazzman. Cant believe I got to see Beth right in front of me with Taylor Dayne a year and a half ago

This is awesome and thank you for sharing the video of Beth performing Jazzman. I thought about you after you mentioned Taylor Dayne. I totally love Taylor Dayne. I don't know if you watch the Kelly Clarkson Show, but Taylor was one of the guests last Friday. She and Kelly sang together on the show!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

This is awesome and thank you for sharing the video of Beth performing Jazzman. I thought about you after you mentioned Taylor Dayne. I totally love Taylor Dayne. I don't know if you watch the Kelly Clarkson Show, but Taylor was one of the guests last Friday. She and Kelly sang together on the show!

I have some really cool videos of me with Taylor Dane at a front table in a very small venue last year. I was with Ru. If you want to DM me I can send you some of the videos. She is amazing. I’m right in front of her.

Sylvia

TBD
Sarah Everhardt was featured as the top Sports story in her local Virginia weekly publication (Feb. 15) - includes a small photo of her with her parents when she was 10 :):
Excerpts:
Everhardt, who turned 17 in November, takes many of her Battlefield classes online, but goes to school daily, leaving at either 10:30 a.m. or noon, allowing her to dedicate five to six hours a day to skating.
She trains at the Skate Quest ice skating rink in Reston, which is about a 40-minute drive from her Haymarket home. She sometimes does schoolwork in the car on the way home, eats when she gets home, and goes to bed at 10 p.m., then waking up at 5:45 a.m. to start the cycle again.
Everhardt has been in Boston with her mom Ekaterina since Sunday at a U.S. Figure Skating Association high performance camp. She said U.S. Figure Skating will help guide her calendar the rest of the year. “I hope to get a few internationals. Hard work pays off. I have to keep working hard,” she said.
“It’s been fun, exhilarating, an experience we never thought would have happened,” said Jonathan Everhardt about Sarah’s journey.
Sarah shared 6 photos https://www.instagram.com/p/C3X4EuAroDq/ from last week's USFS’ high performance singles camp in Boston that included (in the first group pic) Jean-Luc Baker as one of the instructors and Junior World team members Josephine Lee & Sherry Zhang, plus the 3 alternates (1st-3rd) Logan Higase-Chen, Everhardt & Elyce Lin-Gracey.
Also invited were Emilia Nemirovsky J4 at Nationals, Jiaying Elyse Johnson J6, Skylar Lautowa-Peguero (top novice in NQS rankings who did not compete at Easterns due to injury) and SCoB-based skaters Ela Cui J8, Sophie Joline von Felten J9 (who landed two clean 3A at Nationals; clip of her 4S-in-progress: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3IySVJRRx0/), Jinna Han (Easterns Intermediate silver medalist) and Deborah Liu (Easterns Juvenile bronze medalist).

Last edited:

VGThuy

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information