Finnish skating news, 2018 onwards

Sylvia

TBD
Jenni Saarinen officially has been named to the 2022 Finnish Olympic team:

Machine translation:

The Board of the Finnish Olympic Committee met on 24 January. and confirmed the final Olympic selections made by the Top Sports Unit for Beijing. A total of 95 athletes were selected for the Finnish team.

Before the last possible selection day, 25 athletes in individual sports had been nominated for the Finnish Olympic team, as well as a 25-strong team for men and a 23-player team for women's hockey. On Monday, that group was strengthened by 22 athletes, including figure skater Jenni Saarinen.

- I am insanely happy and grateful and really motivated. A lot of dunes have been printed after the European Championships and it is a really good feeling to go to the competitions to represent Finland, Saarinen is happy about his choice.

In addition to Saarinen, the Finnish Olympic team includes the ice dance couple Juulia Turkkila-Matthias Versluis , whose selection was made on 20 December 2021.

Kelvster

excellent news for saarinen (and a bit of a relief)

somehow this means that all the great finnish ladiezzzz have skated in the Olympics before / will have the chance to: Alisa Drei, Kettunen, Poykio, Korpi, Lepisto, Peltonen, and now Saarinen ... (shame that Viveca Lindfors couldn't make it though).

Hanna

Skating junkie
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...nen-benefits-one-off-valieva-rule-2022-02-16/

Jenni Saarinen describes her joy at making it to the finals.

She wants to move onto costume design / coaching, and is likely to stay on for another season. :)
I really like that little article and I'm glad to know that she's not planning to quit yet. I feel like Jenni is one of the last Finnish skaters that has those absolutely beautiful, powerful and soft edges. I could just watch her do crossovers and footwork all day long. No wonder Kostner is her idol! :swoon: Unfortunately I feel like most of the younger Finnish skaters that will be taking the stage in the upcoming years don't really have those gorgeous basic skating skills anymore.

Love that she's planning on costume design and coaching! Maybe she can teach those beautiful edges to new generations, I can only hope!

ioana

I really hope the new "plain black outfit" for the free means we get closer to a clean LP. She did say the costume change is more about getting in the right headspace for the long. Anything that gets her closer to this is fine by me.

Sylvia

TBD
Finnish federation's press release today (2/28/22):

Representatives of the World Figure Skating Championships

Women's solo skating: Jenni Saarinen
In reserve order: Linnea Ceder, Oona Ounasvuori, Olivia Lisko

Ice Dance: Juulia Turkkila and Matthias Versluis
In reserve: Yuka Orihara and Juho Pirinen

There are no representatives in men's singles and pairs, as the technical point limits required by the ISU were not reached.

Representatives of the Junior World Figure Skating Championships ("ISU has not yet confirmed the new date or organizer of the competition")

Women's ice skating: Linnea Ceder
In reserve: Iida Karhunen, Olivia Lisko, Janna Jyrkinen

Skating men: Makar Suntsev
Reserved in order: Matias Lindfors, Arttu Juusola

There are no representatives in ice dancing and pair skating, as the technical point limits required by the ISU were not reached.

Finnice

I am at Fiumicino airport and popped to Turkkika & Versluis. They have been doing a choreo for new FS here. I promused not to say more than it is something classical.
They both look fab in the street clothes, and OMG how Juulia just radiates when she smiles!

Sylvia

TBD
I am at Fiumicino airport and popped to Turkkika & Versluis. They have been doing a choreo for new FS here. I promused not to say more than it is something classical.
Posted already in the Programs/Choreography (pinned) thread for their FD: "Turkkila/Versluis - Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 20 in A Major, D. 959: IV. Rondo: (Allegretto)" - identified from a practice clip/Instagram story.
:D

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Retirements thread:
Skating Finland has announced [May 6, 2022] that Laura Karhunen is retiring from competitive skating:

Here's Laura Karhunen's own retirement post with photos (May 3): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdFvVl5Kz3K/

Machine translation: Thank you. I've given my all to this sport, but I've also gained so much from it. Now it's time to move on after 13 years. The last video was 9 years old Laura would be at least proud of how far I've come.

Her ISU bio (she turned 21 in January): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101992.htm

In late April, Laura's younger sister, 14-year-old Iida, won the Promise of the Year round prize:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Press release today (May 18, 2022):

The federal government of the Finnish Figure Skating Association has confirmed the [singles] skaters to the national team for the period 2022-2023 on the proposal of the exclusive skating group.

WOMEN
Artimo Lotta, Esgt / new
Bergman Pihla, HTK
Ceder Linnea, Esjt
Jyrkinen Janna, LrTL
Karhunen Iida, LrTL / new
Lahti Petra, EsJt / new
Lisko Olivia, EsJt
Ounasvuori Oona, EVT
Peltonen Emmi, EVT
Peltonen Minja, EsJt / new
Reponen Rosa, TapTL
Saarinen Jenni, Koovee

MEN
Juusola Arttu, PoriTa / new
Lindfors Matias, Esjt
Suntsev Makar, KoTa
Virtanen Valtter, PeSal

Nella Pelkonen (Koovee) will be given the opportunity to complete her screenings at the start camp from June 30 to July 1, 2022.

Two skaters left the national team; Roman Galay and Laura Karhunen. Both athletes ended their careers in the spring of 2022.

National Team info:

Last edited:

Elka

WOMEN:
Artimo Lotta, Esgt / new
Bergman Pihla, HTK
Ceder Linnea, Esjt
Juusola Arttu, PoriTa / new
Jyrkinen Janna, LrTL
Karhunen Iida, LrTL / new
Lahti Petra, EsJt / new
Lisko Olivia, EsJt
Ounasvuori Oona, EVT
Peltonen Minja, EsJt / new
Reponen Rosa, TapTL
Saarinen Jenni, Koovee
@Sylvia, Emmi Peltonen has not left the national team.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Free Skate, a Finnish feature-length movie, is coming, according to TSL’s Facebook notifications (with link to trailer):

It’s due to premiere in Finland on October 21, 2022, according to this:

It’s supposed to be fictitious…but seems to be about a Russian with Finnish roots who escapes from a Tutberidze-type training center. Hope that it streams Internationally! 🍿

Hanna

Skating junkie
There was a long article about Juulia Turkkila on the YLE website today. She talks about her skating career and having to make the choice between ballet and figure skating at age 13. You can google translate it reasonably well to English.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Here's the article with Alisa Efimova and her mom who is a relatively high level figure skating coach in Finland that I mentioned was in the works during Finlandia Trophy. I think I promised at least @clairecloutier to share the link? It translates pretty well to English, just a couple of sentences that I feel like correcting:

• In the second chapter "Outsiders might think it was a wonderful combo", the right translation for 'wonderful' would be more like 'weird'
  • Towards the end of the second to last chapter "I can't leave my coaches on the loose", 'coaches' should be 'students'

clairecloutier

Here's the article with Alisa Efimova and her mom who is a relatively high level figure skating coach in Finland that I mentioned was in the works during Finlandia Trophy. I think I promised at least @clairecloutier to share the link? It translates pretty well to English, just a couple of sentences that I feel like correcting:

• In the second chapter "Outsiders might think it was a wonderful combo", the right translation for 'wonderful' would be more like 'weird'
  • Towards the end of the second to last chapter "I can't leave my coaches on the loose", 'coaches' should be 'students'

Thank you for this, @Hanna! I enjoyed it! :)

I know that @zhhurston will also be interested. ;)

Sylvia

TBD
Belatedly, here's the Dec. 18th recap of Nationals:

The team for 2023 Europeans in Espoo was named a day later:

Machine translation:

The federal government of the Finnish Figure Skating Association confirmed the Finnish team for the European figure skating championships on January 25-29, 2023 at the Espoo Metro Arena. Finland is represented in figure skating and ice dancing.

The reigning Finnish champion Janna Jyrkinen, 15, was chosen as the women's representative. Jyrkinen, who lives and trains in Lappeenranta, is skating her first season in the senior series. When [if] Jyrkinen was unable to compete, Oona Ounasvuori, 24, and Nella Pelkonen, 17, were chosen as a substitute.

As expected , Valtter Virtanen, 35, who won his seventh Finnish championship in Joensuu at the weekend, was named as the men's representative. Makar Suntsev, 18, is reserved for the men's competition.

In ice dancing, Finland is represented by Juulia Turkkila, 28, and Matthias Versluis, 28. The pair showed that they are in good shape at the Finnish championships held at the turn of the week and skated over 200 points for the first time. Yuka Orihara, 22, and Juho Pirinen, 27, are on reserve for Turkkila and Versluis.

Finland is not represented in pair skating, as Milania Väänänen, 19, and Filippo Clerici, 21, who started their collaboration this season, are under ISU competition quarantine until May 2023 due to pair changes [he competed at 2022 Junior Worlds for Italy & placed 8th with Alyssa Montan].

"The Snow Queen" has shows in Tampere from 30 December 2022 - Sunday 1 January 2023 (this ice ballet was postponed by a year due to covid restrictions): https://lumikuningatar.fi/en/
Laura Lepistö (took over for Kiira Korpi who was originally scheduled in the title role) and Felipe Montoya with Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko as "The Twin Wizards," Marigold Ice Unity & more. Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/lumikuningatarfi/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I noticed this news from November was not posted in this thread - Jenni Saarinen, 23, announced she was retiring during the Grand Prix in Espoo: https://www.skatingfinland.fi/henkilot/jenni-saarinen-jattaa-jaahyvaiset-kilpajaille/
... Saarinen says that he has been maturing the idea for some time, but he made the final decision just a few days before the start of the competition. However, the desire to say goodbye in front of the home crowd made him participate in the GP competition.
"I got the feeling that now is the right moment to end my career."
- After achieving my own dreams as an athlete, such as representing at the Olympics, I no longer felt the same fire and motivation for everyday life. I got the feeling that now is the right moment to end my career. The love for the sport itself has not died out, but other things in life started weighing on the scale, Saarinen said.

Also, here are Emmi Peltonen's two latest skating reels this past week: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmbjjreMxV6/ (choreo. by Mark Pillay) & https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cmebu0gs7Kx/ (outdoors at night)

IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Lengthy article about Emmi Peltonen and her injuries & struggles with recovery during the past year

Valtter Virtanen's thoughts on skating, work-family-sport balance, and why he never gets tired of watching Kevin Aymoz' programs :cool:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Lengthy article about Emmi Peltonen and her injuries & struggles with recovery during the past year
Link seems to be broken? (ETA: Thanks, I should have checked your Twitter first! ;))

Published on Dec. 20 - Nella Pelkonen and Makar Suntsev will compete in Lake Placid and the assignments for the Nordic Championships to be held in Reykjavík, Iceland, from February 1-5, 2023 - Emmi Peltonen is listed:

Last edited:

Finnice

I am off to Tampere to see the Snow Queen ice show with Laura Lepisto on the leading role and also Mila Kajas & Rahkamo/Kokko skating. Plus some Ice Hockey World Champions. Original music by Tuomas Kantelinen.

Quite interesting - at least I hope.

Sylvia

TBD
"The Snow Queen" has shows in Tampere from 30 December 2022 - Sunday 1 January 2023 (this ice ballet was postponed by a year due to covid restrictions): https://lumikuningatar.fi/en/
Laura Lepistö (took over for Kiira Korpi who was originally scheduled in the title role) and Felipe Montoya with Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko as "The Twin Wizards," Marigold Ice Unity & more. Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/lumikuningatarfi/
I am off to Tampere to see the Snow Queen ice show with Laura Lepisto on the leading role and also Mila Kajas & Rahkamo/Kokko skating. Plus some Ice Hockey World Champions. Original music by Tuomas Kantelinen.

Quite interesting - at least I hope.
Would love to hear what you thought of the show when you get a chance! There are Instagram story clips from the premiere on the IG account I linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information