Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Scott, family event. Our son is getting married next week, after two postponements, since the original date a year ago. We had to travel through Turkey and show tests AND our proof of vaccination.

Enjoying all of the skating drama. Never a dull moment.
Wow amazing times for you and congratulations!

I hope everything went well.

Skibean

I think there was a genuine reason for Sasha leaving to begin with. She wanted more individualized attention from coach, they weren’t happy with being clumped together as the 3A trio, and perhaps more we were unaware of. I hope for Sasha’s sake that the issues will be addressed and changes made.
To her credit, Sasha is very low key about all of this. I haven’t seen one comment, one interview or anything from her. She seems to be focused and avoids the drama.

neu

I think there was a genuine reason for Sasha leaving to begin with. She wanted more individualized attention from coach, they weren’t happy with being clumped together as the 3A trio, and perhaps more we were unaware of. I hope for Sasha’s sake that the issues will be addressed and changes made.
To her credit, Sasha is very low key about all of this. I haven’t seen one comment, one interview or anything from her. She seems to be focused and avoids the drama.
If you haven't seen something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Skibean

If you haven't seen something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That video isn’t available to be seen in my country., and unfortunately I can’t understand the Russian language.
Anyone able to translate?

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
But she is the one who made them 'top'. What, now somebody else should get credit for their medals and wins? Just because she is too successful in coaching?
No, because all Eteri programs look identical and are jammed with meaningless transitions. Because of questionable (at best) coaching methods. Because her skaters stand no chance to be competitive after the age of 18. That jump technique. :scream: The blatant PCS bonus her skaters receive.

Standard disclaimer: I liked Lipnitskaya! And Medvedeva's WE program is still one of my favorites. I'm not a "Russian hater".

But Sambo 70 is an assembly line and it's everything I hate about ladies skating today. If you love it, great-- I definitely don't begrudge that for you. But seeing 3 Eteri skaters at the Olympics is something I'm not looking forward to. And while it's great for Eteri and great for Russia, I fail to see how it is a good thing for the development of the sport.

However, as a fan of ladies skating, I'm excited about the rapid development of skating today in the lower ranks, and I'll still thoroughly enjoy the first three groups.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
No, because all Eteri programs look identical and are jammed with meaningless transitions. Because of questionable (at best) coaching methods. Because her skaters stand no chance to be competitive after the age of 18. That jump technique. :scream: The blatant PCS bonus her skaters receive.

Standard disclaimer: I liked Lipnitskaya! And Medvedeva's WE program is still one of my favorites. I'm not a "Russian hater".

But Sambo 70 is an assembly line and it's everything I hate about ladies skating today. If you love it, great-- I definitely don't begrudge that for you. But seeing 3 Eteri skaters at the Olympics is something I'm not looking forward to. And while it's great for Eteri and great for Russia, I fail to see how it is a good thing for the development of the sport.

However, as a fan of ladies skating, I'm excited about the rapid development of skating today in the lower ranks, and I'll still thoroughly enjoy the first three groups.
It's strange because I can always tell the difference between say a Trusova program and an Alyona program. Same with Usacheva versus Kamila. Anna vs Maiia. None of their programs looks identical to me... Now Medvedeva doing Orange Colored Sky looked like EVERY lowbrow Canadian skating that exact program? I can get behind that. But Med's OCS wasn't Eteri. Heavens, no.

Marco

It's strange because I can always tell the difference between say a Trusova program and an Alyona program. Same with Usacheva versus Kamila. Anna vs Maiia. None of their programs looks identical to me... Now Medvedeva doing Orange Colored Sky looked like EVERY lowbrow Canadian skating that exact program? I can get behind that. But Med's OCS wasn't Eteri. Heavens, no.
The music and style may be different, but the structure and the choreographic concept is always the same - transitions trump everything, no need to care for musical intepretation, nuances or phrasing, quantity / difficulty trumps quality so nothing needs to be held for more than one split second.

Scott512

I can tell you're still bitter about the backloading. ;)
I've been watching this factory or assembly line is you call it for years. I've seen tremendous differences between Polina and Yulia and Zhenya and Alina and Anya and Sasha and Aliona and Kamila and Maya and Dasha.

I mean I don't think there's anyone who watched the Olympics and thought Zhenya and Alina the same or their programs were the same.

Aliona and Sasha are very different as are there programs.

But I'm sure you like the Japanese ladies. You know the ones who never have anyone coming up behind them that can sit there for years without any pressure of a compatriot blowing them away? That must be nice because Alina never had that benefit. She went from being Olympic champion to having three younger skaters from her own rink breathing down her neck right away.

We don't see skaters with long competitive careers without TT because the talent coming up surpasses the talent ahead of them. But I can't wait to see twenty-two-year-old Medvedeva a 19 year olld Zagitova and 18 year old Aliona skating for TT this season. They may not be able to compete with their five younger teammates from their own rink but it won't be amazing to see them skate. I hope it happens.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I've been watching this factory or assembly line is you call it for years. I've seen tremendous differences between Polina and Yulia and Zhenya and Alina and Anya and Sasha and Aliona and Kamila and Maya and Dasha.

I don't think I could say it any more clearly than @Marco does here:

The music and style may be different, but the structure and the choreographic concept is always the same - transitions trump everything, no need to care for musical intepretation, nuances or phrasing, quantity / difficulty trumps quality so nothing needs to be held for more than one split second.

But I'm sure you like the Japanese ladies. You know the ones who never have anyone coming up behind them that can sit there for years without any pressure of a compatriot blowing them away? That must be nice because Alina never had that benefit. She went from being Olympic champion to having three younger skaters from her own rink breathing down her neck right away.

:rolleyes: I have tremendous respect for all figure skaters, particularly the Sambo 70 ladies--including Zagitova, competing in such a cutthroat environment. That doesn't mean I automatically enjoy their skating or those dreadful, reductive, overstuffed Gleikhengauz programs.

Yes, I would much rather watch Sakamoto or Hendrickx or Tuktamysheva or Higuchi any day over Tutberidze's favored 16 year old of the month. That's my preference. Just as you have the right to get such joy and dedication to the Tutberidze ladies.

However, my point still stands it is not good for the sport for every talented female skater in Russia to automatically go to Tutberidze. There are plenty of talented Russian coaches available, with different points of view. There should be more to Russian ladies skating than Daniil Gleikhengauz choreography, occasionally paired with immature temper tantrums when one of his teenaged skaters dare make a mistake.

Last edited:

Scott512

I don't think I could say it any more clearly than @Marco does here:

:rolleyes: I have tremendous respect for all figure skaters, particularly the Sambo 70 ladies--including Zagitova, competing in such a cutthroat environment. That doesn't mean I automatically enjoy their skating or those dreadful, reductive, overstuffed Gleikhengauz programs.

Yes, I would much rather watch Sakamoto or Hendrickx or Tuktamysheva or Higuchi any day over Tutberidze's favored 16 year old of the month. That's my preference. Just as you have the right to get such joy and dedication to the Tutberidze ladies.

However, my point still stands it is not good for the sport for every talented female skater in Russia to automatically go to Tutberidze. There are plenty of talented Russian coaches available, with different points of view. There should be more to Russian ladies skating than Daniil Gleikhengauz choreography, occasionally paired with immature temper tantrums when one of his teenaged skaters dare make a mistake.
I knew it. I had you pegged from a 100 miles away. ;)

Eteri having so many Olympic contenders is a 1 season thing. No one expected aliona and Sasha to return home. I guess things were t so badd there before for them. They're doing it because it increases their chances in their minds to make the Olympic team. After the Olympic season you will see 2 or 3 girls leave TT. I guarantee it.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over these posts from the FRWL thread:
Russian National team for 2021/2022 season:
Ladies

Main team: Valieva, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Scherbakova
Reserve team: Kostornaia, Nugumanova
Final lists should be approved by Russian Sports Ministry by June, 1st
They usually go with top 5 at Nationals + 1 skater from Russian Cup Final for the main team
Medvedeva [in the role of "Kitty"] is mentioned in the cast of the new show by Averbukh
(“Anna Karenina”) https://www.instagram.com/p/COnG62MJWG3/

People in the comments text that Averbukh will have to replace her with another skater, because Medvedeva is supposed to be an ambassador of the Russian team (in these Olympics too).
[April 10th article] https://rsport.ria.ru/20210406/medvedeva-1727111693.html
Medvedeva's post today (translated excerpt - "I consider my absence from the national reserve? team to be fair. I missed all of last season due to health issues and it would be unfair to put me on the list for past accomplishments. ... I don't plan to quit training."): https://www.instagram.com/p/CO2UmlAM2SU/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"World champion Elizaveta Tuktamysheva became a guest of the show “50 Questions. Sport” and gave a great interview about her career, comparison with Alla Pugacheva, pregnancy and Buddhism."

ETA link to the show she appeared on:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
May 16th update on Zagitova who is quarantining in Japan now:
On Tuesday [11 May], all of Russia mourned the tragedy in Kazan. First, Alina supported the city in words , and then she herself flew to the capital of Tatarstan to honor the memory of the victims and donate blood for the victims. [...]
Soon it became known that at the end of May the skater will visit Japan - the city of Odate (Akita Prefecture) invited the Olympic champion to participate in the preview of the film "Palma", in which Alina played herself. Akita is the birthplace of the Akita Inu breed.
Alina has already flown to Japan, where she is to celebrate her 19th birthday [today, May 18].
ETA:

The show goes on. Zagitova and Medvedeva will develop careers outside the national team (May 14):
Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva have not appeared at the competitions for a year and a half, but interest in them does not disappear, even the expected event becomes sensational - their exclusion from the Russian national team. Both are not among the figure skaters that the national federation is counting on in the Olympic season.
Most experts agree that neither Zagitova nor Medvedev will return to the professional level, but the skaters themselves are in no hurry to announce this. There may be several reasons: sponsorship contracts, participation in ice shows popular in the country (the current athlete is more interesting to the public), perhaps the athletes do not really lose hope of triumphantly returning.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Medvedeva should be wise and skip the Olympics season and come back post Beijing
there will be a bit of room, Shcherbakova and others might retire or expire except Trusova.

Bigbird

so shes retired, when will she announce herself when the contracts end.

Cant blame her, she won OGM there is no more motivation and she looks extremely heavy now
I dont think she can even land a Lutz , thats how bad and out of shape Zagitova is right now
I'd love to be as out of shape as she is right now. LOL. Sports is only for a season.

hanca

Values her privacy
so shes retired, when will she announce herself when the contracts end.

Cant blame her, she won OGM there is no more motivation and she looks extremely heavy now
I dont think she can even land a Lutz , thats how bad and out of shape Zagitova is right now
I think she is putting herself in a risky situation. She could end up the same way as Sotskova.
It is understandable that skaters are delaying official announcement of retirement (especially when they are on the team and therefore still take ‘salary’ from the Russian federation), but that means that they can be any time drug tested. And lots of over the counter medication are not allowed even if they are not doping. E.g. Sotskova took diuretics to lose weight for her wedding… If Zagitova is not officially retired, she still has to think about what she takes when she gets genuinely ill. Making one mistake about not checking whether something is allowed can place her in all newspapers.

starrynight

I think she is putting herself in a risky situation. She could end up the same way as Sotskova.
It is understandable that skaters are delaying official announcement of retirement (especially when they are on the team and therefore still take ‘salary’ from the Russian federation), but that means that they can be any time drug tested. And lots of over the counter medication are not allowed even if they are not doping. E.g. Sotskova took diuretics to lose weight for her wedding… If Zagitova is not officially retired, she still has to think about what she takes when she gets genuinely ill. Making one mistake about not checking whether something is allowed can place her in all newspapers.

This is correct. Simple over the counter cold medications (particularly if bought when on holidays or travelling) can get athletes into a lot of trouble.

Although I wonder if there is a difference between an athlete quietly taking themselves off the doping monitoring list versus publicly announcing a retirement?

I do recall that in the period when Virtue/Moir were sitting out, Scott remarked that he was relieved he could finally take proper strong flu meds - so they must have been off the testing list, even if they hadn't announced a retirement.

The compliance requirements are massive -- the athletes have to provide a window of time and a location every day, 7 days a week as to when they can be randomly tested. So if they go on holidays, stay at a friend's house etc, those details need to be updated and accurate every day. That's a lot for an athlete who isn't intending on competing to keep up with.

Sylvia

TBD
The Russian Fed has just announced on Instagram that Zagitova will not compete at the Olympics.
I think the post was taken down?

“Both Zagitova and Medvedeva have opportunities to train, compete and win the right to compete in the Olympics as part of the Russian national team. My words were wrong. Perhaps intentionally. Both Alina and Zhenya have every opportunity if they train, prepare and to perform, they will win the right to go, then we will see them at the Olympics. And what everyone writes is nonsense, "Gorshkov told RIA Novosti.
ETA an article summarizing Zagitova's time in Japan:
To impress local fans, Alina began one of her public appearances in Japanese. The figure skater performed well on stage. During the event, Alina said that her dog Masaru, donated by the Japanese minister [Abe] in 2018, "conveyed great greetings to everyone." This caused a touching laughter in the audience.
ETA that Alina is back home today & reunited with Masaru.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
This is correct. Simple over the counter cold medications (particularly if bought when on holidays or travelling) can get athletes into a lot of trouble.

Although I wonder if there is a difference between an athlete quietly taking themselves off the doping monitoring list versus publicly announcing a retirement?

I do recall that in the period when Virtue/Moir were sitting out, Scott remarked that he was relieved he could finally take proper strong flu meds - so they must have been off the testing list, even if they hadn't announced a retirement.

The compliance requirements are massive -- the athletes have to provide a window of time and a location every day, 7 days a week as to when they can be randomly tested. So if they go on holidays, stay at a friend's house etc, those details need to be updated and accurate every day. That's a lot for an athlete who isn't intending on competing to keep up with.
My understanding is that they can’t take themselves quietly off the doping monitoring list. It usually goes through their federation, who will contact the WADA. So if Zagitova wants not to be on the monitoring list, she would have to let her federation know that she is retired and naturally the federation would stop paying her salary. Life is a bitch, one can’t have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information