San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

skatfan

Are they referring to the DASH buses, or is this a separate shuttle for the event? Are they planning to post info on their website? Did they say which hotels it will stop at?

It’s a separate event shuttle. They will post I would guess. I think they said it would stop at the Fairmont and Marriott.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Thanks for the correction about rink position, MacMadame; I'll edit my post if its not too late.
Don't edit it. The South rink is floor level but I think I got the North rink mixed up with the one at Oakland. You definitely can get to it from the seating area for the Center Rink which means you can use the elevator. I am not sure if you can also get to it from the ground floor. I thought you could but now I'm unsure.

And that "4th rink" is the East rink. I can never remember that. :lol:

Also, at the volunteer meeting they swore that Solar4America parking would be fine. There will be no baseball games so they will open that part of the parking. HOWEVER, my own experience is that parking there is troublesome during events. Sometimes they don't open the overflow parking soon enough and sometimes even that fills up. There is parking across the street and also in a dirt lot down the street as was mentioned in Doris' report

So basically I recommend carpooling if you can. Otherwise, just come early so you have time to stalk a spot. And, hey, maybe it will be fine!

Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to travel from the airport to the hotels? Uber? Lyft? Hotel shuttle? Taxi? I don't remember seeing anything specific in this thread (I may have missed it so I apologize if this is a repeat question) so I'm asking for some help. Thanks in advance! :)
Supershuttle always works well for me.

Btw, they talked about there maybe being a shuttle to Solar4America from the downtown hotels but only for the Junior events. :( Also, they said our voucher for 2 tickets to "best available seating" for an event would only be available after 3 shifts. Because I am flying out of the area on the 2nd, I will not be in town for any events at the SAP Center. So I'm open to bartering my voucher to another volunteer in exchange for something fun/cool. :D

Willin

Okay, typing up the full report tomorrow morning. The important parts:

-Volunteer Credentialing will happen 12/27 and 12/28 at Solar4America. If you can't make it then, please e-mail them to figure something out. This is when you will be getting your jacket as well. (And I believe the parking pass?)

-You'll get tickets after your 3rd session of volunteering. This is two best-available tickets for one event (so a bit of a change)

-Volunteers will get a parking pass. There will be a volunteer parking area at both S4A and SAP. They are currently working with the hotels to figure out if they can get volunteer parking there.

-There is a daily newsletter that will tell you open shifts the next day you can sign up for

-If you can't make your shift, please tell them 24 hours in advance!

skatfan

Okay, typing up the full report tomorrow morning. The important parts:

-Volunteer Credentialing will happen 12/27 and 12/28 at Solar4America. If you can't make it then, please e-mail them to figure something out. This is when you will be getting your jacket as well. (And I believe the parking pass?)

-You'll get tickets after your 3rd session of volunteering. This is two best-available tickets for one event (so a bit of a change)

-Volunteers will get a parking pass. There will be a volunteer parking area at both S4A and SAP. They are currently working with the hotels to figure out if they can get volunteer parking there.

-There is a daily newsletter that will tell you open shifts the next day you can sign up for

-If you can't make your shift, please tell them 24 hours in advance!
Thanks for taking better notes than I did. One minor correction:
There won’t be special volunteer parking at Solar4America - they claim there is plenty of parking there.

Anita18

It depends!
I’m glad you all took notes because I came in late (Caltrain took longer than I thought, as did the walk in the labyrinth...). And then it was security mumbo-jumbo.

Is it really 2 tickets to the same event? Boo!

Willin

@Anita18 yup. I'm a bit (read: really) bummed. I believe they also cut out the practice passes as well, but I can clarify that.

myhoneyhoney

I'm bummed too. I thought there would more perks. I hope to get more shifts since I only received one. I did meet and chat with some nice people at the orientation.

acraven

Transportation to Solar4America would be wonderful. I feel like they kind of owe us some help in getting there for the junior short programs.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
On another note, we’ve been a lot drier than normal in the Bay Area since November, which is the usual start of the rainy season here in Northern California.

Bad for us in terms of a possible return of drought conditions and an increase in wildfire susceptibility (which would be an issue for areas with more vegetation but not downtown San Jose), but good for visitors from colder climes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.ktvu.com/weather/images/extended.jpg

If the dry weather holds, expect daytime highs in San Jose during Nats to be in the upper 50s to low 60s, and nighttime lows to be in the upper 30s to low 40s. Bring a coat or jacket for arena conditions or nighttime temps, but otherwise some light layers should suffice.

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
Yes traffic is crazy then. Really from about 3:30 pm on. If anyone wants to come early and hang, my office is about a mile away. Free WiFi and a bit of off street parking.

@skatfan , I may take you up on this offer on Friday, 01/05. I've gotta work and run a meeting ... but I'm volunteering starting at 3.

I'm definitely up for meeting up socially, at the competition, etc.! I was at the sushi lunch back in 2012. I'm a local, but up in the East Bay, so I'll probably be driving down every day because I don't know anyone down there to ask to take up some floor space.

And yes, the volunteering messages are both numerous and yet incomplete. Orientation is not required, is required, suddenly there's a conference call in the middle of the work day, we're kicked out if we can't make it, etc. Oy. And I gotta say ... happens every time with this group.

Still looking forward to volunteering though!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
That's a bummer. So I'll have to buy more tickets. Ugh. I hate using Ticketmaster, am wondering if I should go ahead and just bite the bullet and wait til I get to the SAP Center and buy them. I wanted to pick up more shifts, but nothing was available, which sucks.

Thanks so much @Willin.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wanted to pick up more shifts, but nothing was available, which sucks.
They said yesterday that everything was frozen while they figure out who is actually doing what shifts. There are definitely shifts that aren't full as well.

I'd keep checking back if I were you.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
In the conference call they said they'll be releasing more shifts come early next week.

Anita18

It depends!
That's a bummer. So I'll have to buy more tickets. Ugh. I hate using Ticketmaster, am wondering if I should go ahead and just bite the bullet and wait til I get to the SAP Center and buy them. I wanted to pick up more shifts, but nothing was available, which sucks.

Thanks so much @Willin.
Wonder if enough of us request it, they’d change it to two vouchers any event! Worth a shot!

Willin

@Anita18 If not, we could probably just pair up and give our extra free ticket to each other. I bought the FS package, so I'll be using my free tickets for the Men's SP or the Short Dance (I'm volunteering during the Pairs and Ladies Short)

Anita18

It depends!
@Anita18 If not, we could probably just pair up and give our extra free ticket to each other. I bought the FS package, so I'll be using my free tickets for the Men's SP or the Short Dance (I'm volunteering during the Pairs and Ladies Short)
I like the way you think! :rollin:

clairecloutier

Okay this is minor, I know .... But are there any decent coffee places inside SAP Center or within a block from it? Just wondering. I searched on Google Maps, but I'm not seeing anything. Looks like all options are several blocks away?

margu1241

Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to travel from the airport to the hotels? Uber? Lyft? Hotel shuttle? Taxi? I don't remember seeing anything specific in this thread (I may have missed it so I apologize if this is a repeat question) so I'm asking for some help. Thanks in advance! :)

Uber does operate to/from the airport, however it can be pricy (I think maybe depending on time of use). My son wanted to take it this week and the price was $20 more than if he had taken the free airport to Santa Clara Caltrain shuttle and ordered one from there. If you have a hotel shuttle, I would take that.

Willin

@clairecloutier Yeah. SAP is about a mile from downtown, and in a district that's more industrial and residential (not even offices!)
Down The Alameda there should be some coffee places, but I'd imagine they're mostly chain places like Pete's as the shopping centers on that street mainly serve the community.

nlyoung

FYI, if your event is in the North, Center or East rinks of Solar4America Ice (used to be Sharks Ice) you can park and enter either on the west (main entrance) side or on the east side. There is far more parking in the back (east). Not sure if anything will be held on south rink which is the Sharks' and Barracudas' practice ice. If so, the only entrance to the south rink is on the south west corner of the building, so park in the south parking lot. North rink is definitely the coldest. Stanley's Sports Bar has decent food. The BLTA is my particular favorite and they do have salads. My daughter is a hockey player (how did that happen!), so we are there 3-4 times a week if anyone has particular questions.

There are fast food places fairly close (~ 1/2 mile) clustered around Alma and 1st street: Denny's, Wendy's, TOGO's, McDonalds (in Walmart), Jack in the Box, Starbucks. More options are ~1.5 miles away at the Plant Shopping Center, including some sit down places.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The closest shops & restaurants to SAP Center are West on The Alameda. It's about 1-2 blocks away (I consider the parking lot to be one block but technically it's only 1 cross street -- Stockton -- where there is a Whole Foods.)

There are chain coffee places (Peets, Whole Foods) and also local ones. I don't drink coffee so can't speak to the quality of any of them. Also restaurants and other shops.

sjs5572

I am staying at the Hilton Santa Clara from Jan 3rd to 8th, and renting a car out of SFO. I can pick up (dropoff) a few people at their hotels on the way to (coming back from) the SAP Center. FYI, I usually attend the whole event, starting from the first skating group. Private me for my contact info if interested.

sjs5572

I am also trying to get a dinner together on Saturday evening after the Men's Free Skate. I have a 30% coupon for "The Sizzle Spot." It's a Vietnamese teppanyaki restaurant with good reviews, about a ten minute drive from arena. I was thinking that an 8:15 PM reservation would allow us enough time to get there. BTW, I can bring four skating fans in my car and drop four people off at their hotels after the dinner. Oh, for those who were at Boston Worlds, I was the guy who organized the dinner at the Italian restaurant. Anyway, private me if interested!
http://www.sizzlespotworld.com/

P.S. I won't make the mistake again of betting against "Mrs. P."

Last edited:

skatfan

@skatfan , I may take you up on this offer on Friday, 01/05. I've gotta work and run a meeting ... but I'm volunteering starting at 3.

Quintuple-my offer was for the day of the volunteer orientation. I will not be at work that week (because it's all about the skating), so that won't work.

I'm definitely up for meeting up socially, at the competition, etc.! I was at the sushi lunch back in 2012. I'm a local, but up in the East Bay, so I'll probably be driving down every day because I don't know anyone down there to ask to take up some floor space.

That I'd love to do!

acraven

@nlyoung, thanks for the info about the fast food places near Solar4America. Based on my exploration with Google Maps, I didn't think there was anything there.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Public transit directions from the airports to downtown San Jose

It's possible to take public transit from any of the 3 area airports to downtown San Jose, but note that you may be using multiple transit systems which may require multiple transfers, as detailed below. If you do not have the local Clipper payment card, each transfer to a new system may require some time fumbling through a machine to buy a new ticket. This may cause you to miss your connection, to the (unlikely) extent that it's well-timed. Even if you don't miss it, connection times can be very long when shifting between systems, especially at off-peak hours, which will make the entire trip very time consuming.

If you have Apple Maps or Google Maps on your phone, you will be able to get point-to-point public transit directions for the time at which you are traveling. In general, these are the steps that you would take:

From San Jose airport (SJC) - This is the easiest trip of all as SJC is, by definition, closest to downtown San Jose.

1. At the airport, cross the roadway to the shuttle stop for VTA bus 10.
a. This is a free shuttle bus to either Santa Clara Caltrain/Amtrak station or to the Metro/Airport VTA light rail station.
b. If you are headed to the arena or downtown San Jose, take VTA bus 10 to the Metro/Airport VTA light rail station.

2. At Metro/Airport VTA light rail station, buy a VTA ticket at a vending machine ($2.25 single-ride, $4.50 for an eight-hour pass as of January 1).
a. To go straight to the SAP Center, take the Winchester light rail heading south and get off at San Jose Diridon station.
b. To go to downtown San Jose hotels, take either the Winchester or Santa Teresa light rail heading south and get off at the appropriate stop (likely Paseo de San Antonio or Convention Center).

3. To get from your downtown San Jose hotel to the arena, go to your nearest station (as described in 2b above), buy a VTA ticket at a vending machine ($2.25 single-ride, $4.50 for an eight-hour pass as of January 1), and take the Winchester light rail heading south to San Jose Diridon station.
a. Or just walk. The arena is a perfectly safe, flat, well-lighted 15-20 minute walk from most downtown San Jose hotels. A great way to get your daily steps in and enjoy the sunny, balmy weather (if you're from colder climes)! And it's just as long as waiting for a VTA light rail train and riding it the 1 or 2 stops to San Jose Diridon.

From San Francisco airport (SFO) - Not the most intuitive of trips, but SFO is the biggest airport in the Bay Area and, hence, where most direct flights fly into, and often (but not always) the cheapest flights too.

1. BART goes right to the airport.
a. The BART station is within steps of both Terminal 3 (United, gates 60-90) and the International Terminal (multiple airlines, gates A1-A12 and G91-G102). Otherwise, after deplaning, take the SFO airport tram to the BART or International Terminal station.
b. At the San Francisco International Airport BART station, buy a BART ticket at a vending machine for the appropriate price towards Millbrae station. Fares will go up on January 1. They are distance-based. To Millbrae, they will be $5.05 in cash, and $4.55 with a Clipper card.
c. In order to get to Millbrae station during weekday hours (5am-9pm), you need to take a San Francisco-bound train (which during this time is any train) from the SFO BART station 1 stop to San Bruno. Then, cross the platform at San Bruno and take a Millbrae train 1 stop to Millbrae station.
d. At all other times, there is a direct train from the SFO BART station to Millbrae. Take a Millbrae train 1 stop to Millbrae station.

2. At Millbrae station, get off BART and buy a Caltrain ticket at a red-and-grey Caltrain vending machine. You need to buy a 3-zone ticket ($8.25 cash/credit, $7.70 with a Clipper card) to get to San Jose Diridon.
a. Take a southbound train heading towards San Jose to San Jose Diridon station.
b. Depending on when you get to Millbrae, you might luck out and be able to board a "bullet" (express) train that whizzes you to San Jose Diridon, or a mindnumbingly slow train that stops at every single stop. Check the schedules here; they are also posted prominently on the Caltrain platform.

3. Once at San Jose Diridon station, you will be right across the street from the SAP Center. To get to your downtown San Jose hotel, follow step #3 from the SJC directions above, but in reverse, and in any northbound direction that's not Winchester.

From Oakland airport (OAK) - Again, not the most intuitive of trips, but Southwest Airlines maintains a huge base at OAK (in addition to smaller ones at SFO and SJC). So, depending on how your fare and flight situation works, you might end up flying into OAK. If you haven't bought plane tickets yet, don't forget to use the search term "SFO, OAK, SJC" as your from/to options on flights.google.com so that you can see pricing for all 3 airports at once.

1. A special BART connector goes right to the airport terminals.
a. Take the BART connector to Oakland Coliseum station.
b. If this is your last stop (see #2 below), buy a BART ticket at a vending machine ($6.65 cash, $6.15 Clipper as of January 1st) to get out.
c. If this is not your last stop (see #3 below), buy a BART ticket to your ultimate destination. There are fare charts on the vending machines.

2. If, and only if, you get to Oakland Coliseum station in time for an Amtrak Capitol Corridor train (see schedule here), then take it.
a. It's a $16 one-way trip, but it whizzes you directly to San Jose Diridon station. It has plenty of luggage storage on the first level and plenty of seating on the second level of each car. There is even a cafe car. Just like a regular Amtrak service, but in a commuter format.
b. There is no ticket agent booth here, and I'm not sure there are even Amtrak vending machines on site. If not, then buy and store your ticket on your phone via the Amtrak Capitol Corridor site. Also, the local Clipper transit payment card does not work for Amtrak, although it works for all the other systems described in this post.

3. Otherwise, you will need to take BART all the way to Fremont station.
a. If you're at step 1c above, buy a combined BART ticket that covers your Oakland Airport BART connector trip as well as your main BART ride. To Fremont, this will cost $10.75 in cash, $10.25 with Clipper.
b. Take a South Fremont/Warm Springs train to Fremont station.

4. At Fremont station, get off BART. Go to the attached bus terminal and find the bus stop for VTA express bus 181 ($4, cash or Clipper).
a. Take VTA bus 181 to San Jose Diridon station, which is where the arena is.
b. To get to your downtown San Jose hotel, make sure you ask for a VTA transfer slip from your bus 181 driver, and follow step #3 from the SJC directions above, but in reverse, and in any northbound direction that's not Winchester.

An alternative note - if the above looks too much for you, especially from SFO or OAK, just take SuperShuttle or, if you can afford it, a Lyft. It's a lot of hassle going through multiple connections if you're pressed for time, are hauling around lots of luggage, or are not familiar with the local transit networks.

Uber has had its fair share of PR debacles lately, and if the market stats are correct, Lyft's market share rivals that of Uber here in the Bay Area. I have also found that Lyft drivers are happier with Lyft than they are with Uber. Don't forget to get Delta miles with your Lyft ride, and don't forget to get discounts in addition to miles/points with your SuperShuttle ride.

If you do want to brave all the connections involved with public transit and you're even inclined to get a Clipper card, especially if you're eligible for senior, disabled or other discounts (roughly a 50-66% savings off the prices mentioned above), check the Clipper card website to see how to apply. I believe you can do so via mail order, but I'm not sure how quick they'll respond given that we're up against the holidays and the actual event.

Using Clipper - If you use the Clipper card, there is no need to stop at a vending machine every single time as described above, unless you need to load your card with sufficient money to complete your trip. Both Caltrain and VTA operate on the honor system with somewhat frequent inspections, so have your card (or paper ticket) easily accessible even when you're on board.

BART
: very similar to the DC Metro; tap your card on a turnstile reader (the blue Clipper circle) heading in and heading out. If your balance is insufficient upon heading out, the turnstile will not open; there are machines before the exit turnstiles where you can reload your card for the precise amount needed.
Caltrain: tap your card on a Clipper card reader (a mid-height post on the platform) before boarding and upon leaving. Basically, the reader charges you the maximum possible fare upon boarding and refunds you the distance/zone-based difference upon leaving. You must have at least $1.25 on your Clipper card before boarding; see here for more info.
VTA: on light rail, tap your card on a Clipper card reader on the platform only once at the beginning of your 2-hour trip (transfers between light rail lines are therefore free and allowed), and don't tap your card upon leaving; on bus, tap your card only upon boarding; no free transfers between light rail and bus; see this page for more info

Last edited:

acraven

@UMBS Go Blue, thank you for the detailed instructions. I'll be dealing with two different airports, so you've saved me a lot of time.

I see from the link you provided that one can apply for the senior clipper card by fax, so those of us who are eligible just might be able to obtain the card before we leave for San Jose. There's no charge for the card, and the application is very easy to complete. You do need to include a photocopy of one of the specified proof-of-age documents.

I have a question: It appears from looking at the BART schematic that those of us traveling to or from SFO on weekdays before 9 PM must transfer at San Bruno. Is that right?

Oops, one more question: It appears that SuperShuttle doesn't offer shared-ride service from the San Jose Airport, just its premium, taxi-like service. Am I missing something? Although I plan to use public transportation, if I'm seriously delayed, that may not be a good option. It looks as if a taxi will be the only viable alternative.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Apparently San Jose did something to ban shared service ride services.

I'm planning to Uber from the airport. But I did read it's cheaper to take the shuttle to the train station (as described above) and Uber from there.

mtnskater

I just purchased my championship weekend ticket through the SAP center by telephone this week. I talked to Eric. There were a number of 5th row seats available in various sections. I got a 5th row aisle seat near kiss and cry for $515. I previously purchased mens and dance short programs a month or more ago. I will have to miss ladies short since I'm arriving Thursday mid-day. If I get in Thursday in time to see pairs short, I'll just buy at the box office.

Bottom line...I was surprised at how many lower bowl seats were still available.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
I see from the link you provided that one can apply for the senior clipper card by fax, so those of us who are eligible just might be able to obtain the card before we leave for San Jose.
Sounds good - hope you are able to receive yours before you leave. If not, you can try applying in person at their downtown San Jose center (open weekdays) once you get into town. Will add a field to my original post about using Clipper cards.

I have a question: It appears from looking at the BART schematic that those of us traveling to or from SFO on weekdays before 9 PM must transfer at San Bruno. Is that right?
Yes, I'll edit my original post. On weekdays after roughly 5am and until 9pm, whether you're originating at SFO heading to Millbrae, or originating at Millbrae heading to SFO, you'd need to take any train heading towards San Francisco, take it 1 stop to San Bruno, get off and walk across the platform, and take a train coming from San Francisco towards either Millbrae or SFO. Basically, during these hours, there is no direct train from Millbrae to SFO.

On BART, there are blinking signs above the platform showing the direction the train is headed. All SF-bound trains will have "SF" added to the direction, for example "SF / Pittsburg-Bay Point" or "SF-Richmond," so they should be easy to spot. At SFO, all trains between 5am-9pm on weekdays are headed towards SF anyway.

Oops, one more question: It appears that SuperShuttle doesn't offer shared-ride service from the San Jose Airport, just its premium, taxi-like service. Am I missing something? Although I plan to use public transportation, if I'm seriously delayed, that may not be a good option. It looks as if a taxi will be the only viable alternative.
Hmmm, that's a surprise. I see what you're talking about. It seems weird that SuperShuttle doesn't currently serve SJC while Uber and Lyft do.

For what it's worth, I was able to get a quote for $13.99 on Lyft and $14.82 on Uber for a ride right this moment from SJC to the Fairmont downtown. Also, taking the VTA bus 10 and VTA light rail to/from SJC should be fine at most hours unless you're traveling in/out of SJC super late or are super delayed. The service frequencies on the VTA bus 10 drop off after about 8-9pm and end just after 11pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information