2018 PyeongChang Olympics news & updates

skipaway

. Saddened and Angry on behalf of Britain's Bobsled Team

If all goes as planned for British Bobsleigh, the group that fields Olympic teams in the sport, Britain will have three teams at next year’s Games in PyeongChang, South Korea. But none of them will be women’s squads.

On Wednesday, the organization, which also oversees the sport of skeleton, entirely pulled its funding for women’s bobsled after running out of money, the BBC reported.
I was absolutely gutted,” Mica McNeill, Britain’s leading female bobsled driver, told the BBC. “I know that bobsled is an expensive sport but I just am really disappointed that it has come to this. They tried to tell us it was because we weren’t medal potential but I said, ‘You’re funding three men’s crews!’ ”

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
That's awful.

All I've ever read about the British Olympic Association has been pretty bad, in that it seems they don't support their athletes unless they've got medal potential but don't support them financially to make it to that point so everyone's on their own.

Lorac

That's awful.

All I've ever read about the British Olympic Association has been pretty bad, in that it seems they don't support their athletes unless they've got medal potential but don't support them financially to make it to that point so everyone's on their own.

Even if you do have medal potential you may get no funding. Prior to the Rio Olympics the medal targets were released for each sport which is usually interpreted as meet these and you funding will continue. Well Badminton had a target if 1 medal which they met albeit not the team expected to win it. Yet their funding was withdrawn totally. They appealed to no avail and the British Olympic Association has never explained why. Stupidity. I feel so sorry for the ladies Bobsled team as they are being totally screwed here.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Even if you do have medal potential you may get no funding. Prior to the Rio Olympics the medal targets were released for each sport which is usually interpreted as meet these and you funding will continue. Well Badminton had a target if 1 medal which they met albeit not the team expected to win it. Yet their funding was withdrawn totally. They appealed to no avail and the British Olympic Association has never explained why. Stupidity. I feel so sorry for the ladies Bobsled team as they are being totally screwed here.

That is so fcuking terrible. How do they expect results when they do not fund the sports?!

millyskate

Yes the poor Badminton team - especially as they won a new medal at the World Champs this year! The criteria is strange. They say they're being cynical and going by potential number of medals, but Badminton is precisely a sport where multiple medals can be won. If that's the criteria it seems inconsistent to invest so much in hockey, where at the very best two medals can be won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information