"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Karpenko posted this in the U.S. Ladies thread in GSD earlier today (audio still works for now):
Here's Mirai's SP runthrough from Skate Canada morning practice:
https://youtu.be/2B02ROA3XLk

The flip/toe maybe looks iffy in real time, but it's a clean combo.
Mirai did a full run through of her free skate this afternoon with all her jumps: 3F+3T, 3Lz, 3S / 2A+3T+2T, 3Lo, 3F, 2A+2T small step out. Here's a video starting from the 3Lz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaehpxgjcO0

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mirai is just a VERY common Japanese word meaning future. Your post is like taking everything brown as related to Jason. haha

ETA:
Talking about Japanese-American skaters' names, I love the way Shibs' parents chose their children's names. Maia is a goddess of spring (Greek) and her Japanese second name is Harumi which means a beautiful spring or the beauty of spring (haru=spring mi=beauty). Alex is may be taken from Alexander and he has a Japanese second name Hideo whose kanji literally means a hero.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Well. **** everything, bleep everything on a bleeeeeeeep and forget about it. Not even close to what she can do, she looked really frazzled beforehand. This event has already ended as far as I'm concerned, I've already checked out on giving a bleep about the bleeeeeeeeep ladies event.

Her new SP dress is gorgeous :watch: The spins were great. She can forget that it happened tomorrow.

Spun Silver

I liked the old costume a LOT better. That dark red color was magical on her. And obviously her subconscious agreed. Bring back the magic dress, Mirai.

The GP has always been rocky for her but yeah, she should move on and trust her training. Tomorrow is another day!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I apologize about the dress comments and I didn't mean any of them. Please never do that again, my heart can't take it.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Soooooo, just watched Mirai's free score come in. Under 100.

Anyone know whats going on with her now?

Did Frank once say she would be fab one day and then couldnt do some basic skating elements the next day?

Edgecase

Did Frank once say she would be fab one day and then couldnt do some basic skating elements the next day?

As in double toes? Yeah something was way off on everything. Yet the warmup was gorgeous

Without elaborating on the performance I worry about the layout of the jumps at the end of her LP. It causes her to rush everything

smarts1

I think it might be a pressure thing. Mirai had been under the radar for so many years now and now that she's finally coming back to the spotlight, she appears to be putting a lot of pressure on herself now. Almost as if she has something to prove. And she was skating lights out in the practices unfortunately.

bardtoob

I still love Mirai ... They used to say, "Maria LOVED to practice :rolleyes:" in Russia. Now they say she is the first Soviet and/or Russian woman to be World Champion :cheer2:

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I cant say about yesterday but I think this FS is jinxing her. It's no great shakes choreographically IMHO, and the story it tells seems sure to provoke anxiety in a nervous skater like Mirai. I didnt like Gatsby either but she did -- maybe she should bring it back.

Bellanca

Well, darn it. :( My comments pertaining to Gracie after Skate America can certainly apply to Mirai, in that she may be too nervous and/or distracted. I see a lot of parallels between these two skaters, starting w/ their nerves. Oh well, live to fight another day. Onward...

NAOTMAA

It looks like the poor SP rattled her quite a bit, she wasn't able to get over it and reverted back to her old self. That does happen quite a bit when somebody is going through a big change and not to mention someone who suffers from nerves and underconfidence. Hopefully she doesn't get too discouraged because she's made some great progress over the last season and half

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
She didn't get injured, and she has an adorable pups to cuddle with after very intense, confidence-driven daily training regimines that Tom is clearly already thinking up for her at this very moment. :psoty:

She was one of 32 white dresses, or it seemed that way, but she's really pretty even though it's a white dress like the other competitors, which blends in with the crowd like a winner.

I will never predict her 1st ever again for the sake of luck, and we have a long road ahead of us people. :coffee:

Spun Silver

She at least fought for everything... but her sinking heart showed. :(

Oh well, shake this comp right out of your hair, Mirai! (Shake it out, shake it out!) You will survive!!!

mag

Just watched Mirai's LP. I was expecting a train wreck but it really was not that bad. Speed is tough to judge but I suspect she was quite slow, which led to the UR's. She just needs confidence and with confidence will come speed and that will pretty much sort out the rest. Her spins are world class and she is definitely improving on the interpretation side of things. Onward and upward Mirai!

kwancomeback

Mirai was soooo tight here...same as at AC ahead of her LP. Problem with Mirai is that she does not have any margin when it comes to her jumps, if she is not very precise in her technique and not in "attack" mode, the UR's are falling like rain drops..

But Mirai is Mirai and just like Gracie, it seems like her mental status can change a lot from one competitor to another (they love to make life hard for us die hard fans..)

I suspect Mirai indeed put a lot of pressure on herself coming in to SC and why not? She had a great opportunity to translate her good senior B outings into this competition..But when you want something too much, it easily slips out of your hands and Mirai is no Ashley or Medvedeva (at least not so far in her career)when it comes to mental strength..

I still have high hopes for the rest of the season and Mirai should have that too :)
I believe her SP will score well again if she manage to land her jumps. For me, it is the most beautifully program she ever had and a stunner if performed to its best. However, I am very reluctant to the LP..but I told myself not to judge too severely until we have seen it with better jumps. I do think however, it would have been more beneficial for her with a more upbeat program to differentiate from her melancholic SP. I don't say she needs to bring back Gatsby but a program with music that she feels inspired to skate to everyday.

Also, not sure what is happening to her money jump, the 3Loop has always been so consistent?? Perhaps, overtraining the 3F as she is doing it twice in her LP..

I like when a skater tries to upgrade a technical content but in Mirai's case, I wish they would go back to repeating the Loop instead of the Flip..

When is her next GP?

WanderlustTO

I was at SC this weekend and I have to say that apparently I enjoyed her skating more than I was supposed to (given her score and placement). Sure, it wasn't the best weekend for her, to say the least...but honestly? You could see her talent. IMO, she's an enjoyable skater to watch.

She's got a lot of skill and imo she is still at a level where she can be very competitive.

Just watched Mirai's LP. I was expecting a train wreck but it really was not that bad. Speed is tough to judge but I suspect she was quite slow, which led to the UR's. She just needs confidence and with confidence will come speed and that will pretty much sort out the rest. Her spins are world class and she is definitely improving on the interpretation side of things. Onward and upward Mirai!

No, it wasn't that bad. Score wise, she finished last in the free skate - but it wasn't as bad as that score indicated.

Spun Silver

@kwancomeback, she will be at NHK a month from now. A good amount of time to regroup and if need be go back to her old FS. I would love to see her get a new FS but it is probably not realistic in terms of time or money. I wish Ice Network had not chosen to make such a big deal of this one - it makes it more awkward to drop ... but not impossible, I hope. I just don't see any good coming out of that constant reminder of the risk and memory of defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information