Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

gk_891

There was the brief period around 1981 where the consensus was that Hana Mandlikova (still only 19) would actually have the better overall career than Martina Navratilova (stalling at 24), as Hana had already matched Martina's 2 majors at that point, plus Hana had reached 4 consecutive major finals (1980 US Open through to 1981 Wimbledon).

Interesting.

I watched some youtube videos of Hana over the past day or two and when she was on, she played with tremendous ease and flair. She could generate a lot of pace yet she also had tremendous touch and feel for the ball as well. But wow, she had a pretty volatile temper. And when she was off, it wasn't pretty. But it's hard not to be in awe of her abilities when she was on.

Lorac

Well the men's year end #1 spot will be determined by the final match of the year - between Novak and Andy today at the years end final. Winner take all. Novak has to be fav as he beat Nishakori in 2 short 6-1 sets in his semi whereas Andy had a long 3 hour 38 min slog against Raonic. And that came days after a 3 hour 20min slog against Nishakori in the group stage.

Lorac

Well done Andy - year ending world #1. Fabulous result. I really though it would be a match too far but he proved me wrong.

caseyedwards

Now Djokovic has been dropped by Becker because Djokovic won't fire Imaz. Becker Is saying everywhere Djokovic won't train because he's meditating with Imaz.

oleada

Off season WTA news:

- Azarenka gave birth to a healthy baby boy yesterday :cheer:
- Pennetta and Fogini are expecting a baby in May. :):)
- Wim Fissette will be coaching Johanna Konta.
- Petra Kvitova was assaulted in her home with a knife and will need surgery to her handa
A :( I hope she will be ok both physically and emotionally. How horrific

D

Deleted member 40371

Kvitova attack remind me of Seles' attack, hope Kvitova recovers quickly.

liv

My best wishes to Kvitova. Frightening thing to be attacked in your own home. Hope she heals physically and, even more importantly, mentally which can sometimes overrule anything else. That vulnerability can be devastating.

From a purely tennis perspective, she is one of the few who can beat anyone when she is playing her best.. we need her back on the tour asap.

topaz

Yea, Vika had a baby boy on 12/19. The women's game in flux right now so if she wants to come back around May or June it is possible.

topaz

Ana had a horrible year last year and her time at the top of the game was short lived. She had a very good career.

Lorac

Wow Novak Djokovic has just been knocked out of the Aussie Open by Denis Istomin in 5 sets - a Uzbek wildcard ranked 117 in the world. This opens up his side of the draw but does bode well for Andy Murray going for his first Aussie title.

FSfan107

Wow, I hadn't even realized Novak got knocked out! :eek:

I was happy to see Roger did well against Berdych.

Lorac

Good to see Istomin back up his victory against Novak with a win in the round of 32 though he was pushed to 5 sets again. He has Dimitrov in the round of 16. Nadal was pushed to 5 sets in his round of 32 match against the talented German Alexander Zverev who is a potential future world #1 IMHO.

And yes it was great to see Federer playing so well.

Lorac

Well Murray was beaten in 4 sets by Mischa Zverev. The older brother of the very talented Alexander. I never knew there were two of them :eek:.

To be honest Andy didn't play well but Mischa played amazing. I wonder of Andy was guilty of looking forwards to the possible quarter final match up with either Federer or Nishikori and took his eye off the match in front of him. Still Mischa did play awesome so well done to him:cheer2:

And speaking of Federer and Nishikori that tuned into 5 set battle with Federer coming through in the end. Could we have a potential Roger Rafa final here?! Wouldn't that be something.

Lorac

Venus into the semis!

And she plays Coco Vandeweghe in the semi. I admit to not really enjoying Coco as a player and her interviews don't fully endear her to me either. Hopefully Venus will make the final but if she does it hope she isn't facing Serena much as I enjoy Serena. I'm hoping Jo Konta can make her 2nd semi and hopefully her first final.

And Roger makes the semi where he will face Stan the man. Hopefully it will be a good match.

elka_sk8

And she plays Coco Vandeweghe in the semi. I admit to not really enjoying Coco as a player and her interviews don't fully endear her to me either. Hopefully Venus will make the final but if she does it hope she isn't facing Serena much as I enjoy Serena. I'm hoping Jo Konta can make her 2nd semi and hopefully her first final.

And Roger makes the semi where he will face Stan the man. Hopefully it will be a good match.

Yeah there's something about CoCo that kind of rubs me the wrong way. Go Venus!

I'd love to see Pliskova build on her US open performance and make another final (or win the whole thing), but I'd be happy to see Konta there too.

Roger! :cheer2:

Lorac

And now Serena makes the final as well. First all Williams final since 2009. I hope Venus can take it. I would love to see her claim one more GS.

Now can Federer make the final - I hope so. Talk about the oldies coming strong in this GS :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information