Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Hindernisse

Roger has just announced on this fb page that he will sit out the remainder of the season including Rio in order to fully heal his knee injury.

Seerek

US Open draw

Projected Quarterfinals (Top 8)

Men
Djokovic/Cilic
Raonic/Nadal
Thiem/Wawrinka
Nishikori/Murray

Women
Serena Williams/Halep
Radwanska/Venus Williams
Muguruza/Keys
Vinci/Kerber

Sylvia

TBD
John Isner survived a 0-2 set deficit and came back to beat young Frances Tiafoe (wildcard recipient) in a 5th set tiebreaker!

Recent article on Tiafoe: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2...is-frances-tiafoes-remarkable-journey-set-to/
Tiafoe's story starts in the late 1990s when Frances’ father Constant immigrated to the US from Sierra Leone and took a job as a construction worker at the Junior Tennis Champions Centre in Maryland.
Once the centre was built, Constant was kept on as the head of maintenance, and his two young twin sons Frances and Franklin would amuse themselves around the grounds while their father worked 18-hour days on a £16,000 salary sweeping and cleaning the facilities.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
Woah, just noticed Serena gets Ekaterina Makarova in the first round.... not exactly an easy start to the tournament.

peibeck

Simply looking
Wow, Raonic out in the second round. Big opening now in Monfils and Rafa's section of the draw.

peibeck

Simply looking
Illya Marchenko is going to lose this match to Warinka but Marchenko is kind of a cutie. Very sad for Dominic Thiem, was hoping to see him and del Potro battle it out.

Fiero425

Illya Marchenko is going to lose this match to Warinka but Marchenko is kind of a cutie. Very sad for Dominic Thiem, was hoping to see him and del Potro battle it out.

I think the entire crop of newbies are hot stuff; esp. Thiem & Zverev! They'll draw in the crowds with their play and looks! :40beers: :rolleyes:

peibeck

Simply looking
Serena was amazing today, poor Venus not so much - though she started out so well. Serena faces Halep next, I think that should be an entertaining match.

peibeck

Simply looking
Hmmm, didn't expect the Kerber/Vinci match to be so lopsided (or at least the second set). (((Roberta)))

Looking more and more like it will be a nervy Serena v Angelique final.

Jayar

Hmmm, didn't expect the Kerber/Vinci match to be so lopsided (or at least the second set). (((Roberta)))

I watched Roberta in her previous match in person, and she was dreadful. Her serve was way off, she was slow, and in general, very sloppy. I was surprised that she had made it that far, to be honest. Many of us in the stadium said that whoever won that match would be out in the next round based on how bad they were playing.

peibeck

Simply looking
Thanks @Jayar I hadn't seen any of her matches at the Open, but was thinking (based on past results) she'd do better.

Novak is the luckiest player of this tournament (or has a lot of voodoo dolls in action). I suspect if (big if, I still think Murray will win) he wins many will want to put a big asterisk next to his name.

oleada

Thanks @Jayar I hadn't seen any of her matches at the Open, but was thinking (based on past results) she'd do better.

Novak is the luckiest player of this tournament (or has a lot of voodoo dolls in action). I suspect if (big if, I still think Murray will win) he wins many will want to put a big asterisk next to his name.

Not quite :eek:
Wow Kei!!!

Rottie

Kai vs. Andy match was pretty good. Go, Kai! I'd predicted Andy in straight sets, thinking that they play similarly but Andy does everything just a little better, but that is certainly not how it turned out.

DelPo vs. Stan match was good for about two and a half sets, until Juan just gave out. But still, an amazing comeback for him this year to win an Olympic medal and make it to the USO quarterfinals. Hopefully we'll see more great things next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information