Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

RoseRed

^ oh no doubt it'll be Nathan Chen, for scoring potential alone. I love Jason to bits, but the team competition isn't happening for him without a clean quad somewhere in his SP next year. It'll be 2 ladies/2 dance teams, and then even picking those two might be difficult.

I think it'll be a Montreal sweep if all teams hit, Shibs 4th, and then Shibs win post Oly Worlds, or a Worlds soon thereafter (and have a more successful 2022). I'd also like to see a world title/Oly medal for Weaver & Poje somewhere in there. (And Hubbell & Donohue, who I hope win at least 2). There aren't enough years and I'll probably be wrong anyways.

Might not be. Since the men's is the second event, there isn't as much rest time between the team event and individual as for dance and ladies. Since he's probably a medal contender, he might not want to tire himself out by doing both. Neither Chan or Hanyu did both in 2014. Then again, using two dance teams makes a lot of sense since they are so close in scores and who knows about ladies. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Raf doesn't want him doing both, to save him for the individual.

DreamsofBliss

A new blog post from Madi. She talks about their Stars on Ice experience:

http://www.hubbell-donohue.com/
Really loved this post and that they feel more connected and part of "the team" I'm glad they got to do Stars on Ice.

Their GP assignments are Skate Canada and NHK Trophy. Assuming, VM will win both of these events, on paper their main competition at Skate Canada is Weaver/Poje and at NHK Trophy Cappellini and Lanotte. (though there is still a TBD at NHK)I assume most people will pencil them in for bronze but ice dance can surprise. It's the first time this quad they won't be going to France!

clairecloutier

I'm really enjoying Madi's blog posts so far. Love how candid she is. The day-to-day relationship between partners isn't something we typically hear a lot about ... but it's so important. It is nice of her to shine a light on that, so to speak.

Excited to hear about their new programs soon. :)

Emilia12

Not happy at all. This is a very small piece, but it looks ridiculously similar to what they did last two seasons. I like that they use a blues again, but their choice is quite on a boring side. Hopefully it will grow on me when I'll see the whole thing

Last edited:

VGThuy

Not happy at all. This is a very small piece, but it looks ridiculously similar to what they did last two seasons. Hopefully when I'll see the whole thing it will grow on me

Do you mean the choreography itself like where he grabs her skating boot while she's in an arabesque position? I expect that for the Olympics, most skaters will do improved versions of things they've done before in the hopes that they are presenting the best version of themselves and what they've mastered and then will be more willing to experiment after the Olympic season.

Emilia12

Do you mean the choreography itself like where he grabs her skating boot while she's in an arabesque position? I expect that for the Olympics, most skaters will do improved versions of things they've done before in the hopes that they are presenting the best version of themselves and what they've mastered and then will be more willing to experiment after the Olympic season.

You are right, but it doesn't make it less boring to watch.

VGThuy

You are right, but it doesn't make it less boring to watch.

It depends on how much we like it I guess. Like, for example, I rather P/C continue the style they have and make it even better than we expected like they have in the past three seasons than do something they aren't comfortable with yet just for the sake of it being new to us dedicated skating fans who watch every year because it is the Olympics and more new viewers who have never seen them or much of any skating, if any, before will be exposed to them for the first time. I think one is wise to present themselves in the style that gave them a fandom in the first place because really they need to appeal to a broader audience now and even if it's something we've seen before, when a skater/team hits it out the park, the fans will back in line again. Unless of course the skater is seriously versatile and/or ambitious and feels confident they can tackle on a new style convincingly and keep the execution of the elements high level.

Emilia12

It depends on how much we like it I guess. Like, for example, I rather P/C continue the style they have and make it even better than we expected like they have in the past three seasons than do something they aren't comfortable with yet just for the sake of it being new to us dedicated skating fans who watch every year because it is the Olympics and more new viewers who have never seen them or much of any skating, if any, before will be exposed to them for the first time. I think one is wise to present themselves in the style that gave them a fandom in the first place because really they need to appeal to a broader audience now and even if it's something we've seen before, when a skater/team hits it out the park, the fans will back in line again. Unless of course the skater is seriously versatile and/or ambitious and feels confident they can tackle on a new style convincingly and keep the execution of the elements high level.
On my opinion versatility is crucial for ice dance, I cannot think about a single great ice dance couple that used to skate in one style only.. it is an Olympic season, and I don't expect the favorites to take risks, almost everyone will go very safe with their choices, but for the viewers it means another miserable boring season in ice dance. I really hope some top couples will take a risk after all, it might pay off

VGThuy

On my opinion versatility is crucial for ice dance, I cannot think about a single great ice dance couple that used to skate in one style only.. it is an Olympic season, and I don't expect the favorites to take risks, almost everyone will go very safe with their choices, but for the viewers it means another miserable boring season in ice dance. I really hope some top couples will take a risk after all, it might pay off

Maybe after this Olympic cycle, more teams will choose to be more versatile. I do think that when teams are younger, they try all kinds of rhythms and once they find a formula that makes them successful, they stick with it though they might decide to do something totally different for one season. I remember in the late 90s to early 2000s where dramatikkk programs were all the rage. During the 1989-1992 era, it seemed like the theme-heavy programs were in style, but at least the Duchesnays did different sorts of themes while invoking different moods (even though they ended up doing a sequel to Missing for 1991 Worlds and won though even that had a different sort of mood in that Isabelle smiled in the sequel) whereas it seemed like Usova/Zhulin did two similar themed programs in 1991 and 1992 though 1991's Andrew Lloyd Weber's take on Theme of Paganini was a bit more off-the-wall compared to their straight take on Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Not sure how the music choice is at all similar to their last few programs, whether the lugubrious "Tron" or the comparatively sappy love medley from last season.

As for the program itself, we haven't seen all of it yet. Moreover, the way the program looks at the beginning of a season can often be radically different from what it is around Nationals / Olympics / Worlds.

In any case, "Caught Out in the Rain" looks like a perfect vehicle for them to BRING OUT THE SEX.

And hell yeah, bring it on!!! :grope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDhiHSksaA

VGThuy

People making that critique probably just mean slower, moody pieces because even if those pieces may actually sound different from one another the skating may look similar. For something to be considered different these days it seems that teams have to dance to something with a fast beat and tempo with a more cheery mood aka higher energy where they have to keep up to the beat throughout most of the dance. I think a big way to get that is for the rules to change on footwork sequences. It seems teams figured out the best way to get level 4 these days is to have long, gliding, held edges on their steps and so fast and numerous steps keeping up to the beat has been discouraged.

suki

Well, at least the music appears to have some "edge" to it, so it could be interesting. I hope the choreography does not end up the predictable Montreal mush. :slinkaway

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'm intrigued by their music choices, though I admit it isn't the direction I thought they'd go. But I'm excited to see what the program looks like, because I definitely think this is up their alley. :)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Not even close to what I expected, but :swoon: YAS, PLEASE. :inavoid: I love the beat, the instruments, the bluesy feel in general, the sex, and it's stylistically a different FD than the past two (where they can also take their chemistry up a notch).

For me they win the US dance teams' best FD music choice award (before seeing the programs to prove otherwise). :cheer: I like this a lot and think it has great potential for interesting shapes/turns/lifts/choreography (but also a really strong emotional connection).

clairecloutier

And their Free Dance for the year is...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2BDpSFqDN/

I love these choices. Powerful music; I think this will be GREAT for Madi/Zach. They excel at blues IMO, and this music will allow them to showcase all their best qualities--connection, strong edges, feel for the rhythm, and most importantly, THE SEX (as @allezfred would say LOL). I officially can't wait to see this program for the first time. :D

Yes, I guess you could argue that these songs are sort of slow-tempo/midtempo modern, like last year's FD. But the blues rhythm makes all the difference IMO. It's going to feel quite different I think.

:):cheer2::):cheer2:

clairecloutier

I love these SD music pieces for Madison/Zach! Neither is quite what I was expecting--which makes it all the more fun! :) They've chosen a very intimate piece for the rhumba, it could be great. :cheer2:

blancanieves

I love these SD music pieces for Madison/Zach! Neither is quite what I was expecting--which makes it all the more fun! :) They've chosen a very intimate piece for the rhumba, it could be great. :cheer2:

I hadn't heard either of these pieces before, and I love the samba to the moon and back. My first impression of the rumba is that it sounds like muzak, but at this point I've learned to trust their vision. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information