15th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, May 25 - June 10, 2017

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Tchaidze just presented a brilliant technical display, but as much as I want to like him, the overall performance seemed mechanical to me. Considering his fairly strong overall showing at this competition, we'll see how well he holds up against the other finalists, none of whom have been extremely impressive in this round.

Cheung turned in a polished, textbook performance with her Beethoven. Not sure if it's going to be enough to get her into medal position.

I thought Sunwoo's performance was rather... meh last night. Like Tchaidze, we'll see if it's enough to get him to the top, or at least hang on to a medal.

Edited to add: Broberg was not bad in his Rachmaninov Paganini variations. It's a crowd pleasing piece, but I'm not sure if it has the depth and technical heft of, say, Tchaidze's Prokofiev.

Last edited:

dinakt

Everybody's wonderful, nobody runs away with it. #Arggh
Tchaidze just presented a brilliant technical display, but as much as I want to like him, the overall performance seemed mechanical to me. Considering his fairly strong overall showing at this competition, we'll see how well he holds up against the other finalists, none of whom have been extremely impressive in this round.

Cheung turned in a polished, textbook performance with her Beethoven. Not sure if it's going to be enough to get her into medal position.

I thought Sunwoo's performance was rather... meh last night. Like Tchaidze, we'll see if it's enough to get him to the top, or at least hang on to a medal.

Edited to add: Broberg was not bad in his Rachmaninov Paganini variations. It's a crowd pleasing piece, but I'm not sure if it has the depth and technical heft of, say, Tchaidze's Prokofiev.

Agree with you here, mostly.
I was hoping Tchaidze would run away with it, and while he did beautifully, the unison with orchestra was shaky and whether he could fix it without compromising his vision or not, the overall impression suffered.
My high take on Broberg is not because I expect him to win (nor do i think he should). I think he still has room for improvement, and yes, I agree, Paganini/Rach is not the same massive opus as Prokofiev or Rach 3rd. What Broberg has going on- for me- is the directness of expression which seems utterly genuine and lets him to be original or traditional according to his vision. It does not always work, and it is not as strikingly original as, say, Debargue, but it is not obstructed by convention for convention's sake. So often we have amazing virtuosos with mainstream musical ideas. Broberg is not quite yet the perfect virtuoso, but I believe in his ideas (and would buy a ticket to hear how he thinks)... I hope he keeps improving and shines in 2 to 4 years (next Tchaikovsky would be fine by me:)))
All the finalists had real moments of brilliance. It is also wonderful that they were so different, each had their own style. I am completely at al loss as to what the jury does.
P.S. Favorin reminds me of Bruckner.

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Lots of lovely moments in Hsu's Tchaikovsky and quite a few :huh: moments, but it was a glorious way to end this competition.

Applause in between the movements during the chamber music aside (something I don't remember seeing in previous years), the Fort Worth / Cliburn crowds are always so energetic and knowledgeable, and they're integral to making this competition as glamorous and as successful as it is. There are armies of volunteers working in the background too, and both times I've been to Fort Worth I've always been floored by the big, warm Texas hospitality. :)

Spun Silver

You know that the whole competition is archived? ("Watch on Demand"- "See all videos in replay"- and then it is sorted out by date). So when it is over, we still can catch up. I plan to give Dasol Kim a listen after the competition, and Pierdomenico. I didn't love P-o's Mozart's first part (as I said, I like my Mozart on the Romantic side), but the buzz was that he was stellar in Chopin... So if anybody has further "do not miss this musician" suggestions, they will be much appreciated:)
Honggee Kim's Rach 1st sonata!

My impressions of the finalists:

Tchaidze was the most dazzling virtuoso but lacked depth, to me. Whereas I was with Favorin on his Prokofiev journey every moment.

Since no one that I can see has mentioned it, maybe it's my imagination, but I thought I heard quite a few missed and wrong notes in Cheung's Beethoven. Anyone else? At any rate, I found her interpretation unoriginal and unmoving.

I felt Hsu and Broberg stood out for being strong technically and artistically. Both of them performed those familiar pieces in a really personal way that made them seem fresh. Hsu started and ended strong but lost me in the middle of the second movement. I still loved him but give Broberg the edge in this round.

I only listened to half of Sunwoo so no opinion there other than that he made me miss both Kims.

I missed a lot of this competition so I can only say that I would appreciate a Broberg, Hsu, Favorin podium and will be baffled if Sunwoo or Cheung beats any of them. Tchaidze would be understandable, I just don't want him to beat Favorin (but I expect he will).

Last edited:

dinakt

One more point- Medici TV, livestream- not a single glitch (many thanks to them!). So when next time icenetwork or anybody else tells me that it is on my end that livestream glitches... it is not.
#stilldissatisfiedicenetworkcustomer

Spun Silver

I had one glitch though. Had to close Chrome and reopen. But just one. Still impressed and agree with you!

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Well, my impressions of the concerti phase of the final round, although I'd say that I didn't find the top people all that inspiring:

1. Favorin, Tchaidze
2. Broberg, Cheung
3. Hsu, Sunwoo

So in my amateur opinion, that scrambles things up a bit, so that overall, I'd have:

1. Tchaidze
2. Favorin
3. Sunwoo
4. Cheung, Hsu, Broberg

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Cheung, Hsu, or Broberg medaled though. Many beautiful and/or solid moments from all of them.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
I'm glad Yekwon Sunwoo held on for the overall win!

Gold Medal ($50,000); three years of management and US concert tours; international tours; comprehensive career management; performance attire provided by Neiman Marcus; recording; promotional package
Yekwon Sunwoo

Silver Medal ($25,000); three years of management and US concert tours; recording; promotional package
Kenneth Broberg

Bronze Medal ($15,000); three years of management and US concert tours; recording; promotional package
Daniel Hsu

Finalists ($10,000); promotional package including press kits, videos, web site
Rachel Cheung
Yuri Favorin
Georgy Tchaidze

Best Performance of Chamber Music ($6,000)
Daniel Hsu

Best Performance of a New Work ($5,000)
Daniel Hsu

Jury Discretionary Awards ($4,000)
Dasol Kim
Leonardo Pierdomenico
Tony Yike Yang

Audience Award ($2,500)
Rachel Cheung

The jury does not discuss the competition with each other at any point during the competition. The overall prizes reflect the jury's cumulative, anonymous votes.

Spun Silver

Shocker. I am so happy for Hsu and Broberg. (Good call, @dinakt.) Guess I need to listen to more of Sunwoo to see what all the fuss is about! Amazed that the Russians were totally shut out.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
I would say that Sunwoo was consistently good in his recitals, and really shone in the semifinal round Mozart concerto. He was certainly my overall favorite heading into the finals (alongside Dasol Kim and Honggi Kim who were semifinalists).

Sunwoo's performances

Preliminary round recital
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/-17

Quarterfinal round recital
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/-25

Semifinal round recital
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/demi-finale-8

Semifinal round Mozart concerto
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/semifinal-concerto-5

Final round chamber music
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/finale-6

Final round concerto
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/-46

Hsu's chamber music
http://cliburn2017.medici.tv/en/performance/finale-2

dinakt

Well, the competitions are what they are.
Glad for winners; disappointed for the Russians, who were IMO as good as anybody. But with Tchaikovsky competition favoring Russians rather heavily, the world seems in balance...
I would have given a different Chamber Prize though, for sure.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Between Hsu's youthful potential, his THREE awards (bronze, chamber music, and contemporary music) and his deep artistry, I think he has quite a career ahead of him. At least I hope so. I loved his stressing in his profile that he plays primarily for himself - that comes across in his playing. I didnt take it to mean he's not trying to communicate with audiences, but that he is determined to be true to himself. I think many of the greatest pianists would feel the same.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
disappointed for the Russians, who were IMO as good as anybody
I'm just catching up on the concertos. I hadn't listened because I was planning to go to the cinema, and I wanted to hear them under the same conditions, but a friend was in town, and I met her instead.

I loved Broberg's voice in "Rhapsody," but ITA about Favorin and Tchaidze, at least in the concerto round. I pushed aside Tchaidze's sync issues with the orchestra, the way I did with Debargue in the Tchaikovsky competition. (I'm not so sure about Slatkin and the orchestra, anyway.) I love Prokofiev's 3rd -- I was first exposed to it in the horribly bad and wonderfully fun movie, "The Competition," -- but now I am an equal fan of the 2nd, thanks to Favorin. Maybe I just don't care enough about the Tchaikovsky -- I much prefer when they play the 2nd or 3rd -- but in my no teknik, personal preference world, that would have been down in 4th. I didn't care about winner Yekwon Sunwoo's Rach at all.

I think Favorin was at a disadvantage, playing like a grown-up.

Spun Silver

I'm just catching up on the concertos. I hadn't listened because I was planning to go to the cinema, and I wanted to hear them under the same conditions, but a friend was in town, and I met her instead.

I loved Broberg's voice in "Rhapsody," but ITA about Favorin and Tchaidze, at least in the concerto round. I pushed aside Tchaidze's sync issues with the orchestra, the way I did with Debargue in the Tchaikovsky competition. (I'm not so sure about Slatkin and the orchestra, anyway.) I love Prokofiev's 3rd -- I was first exposed to it in the horribly bad and wonderfully fun movie, "The Competition," -- but now I am an equal fan of the 2nd, thanks to Favorin. Maybe I just don't care enough about the Tchaikovsky -- I much prefer when they play the 2nd or 3rd -- but in my no teknik, personal preference world, that would have been down in 4th. I didn't care about winner Yekwon Sunwoo's Rach at all.

I think Favorin was at a disadvantage, playing like a grown-up.
I am still catching up, and remain completely baffled by Sunwoo's win. All the others mentioned here stand out in some way... Favorin's wonderful musicianship, Tchaidze's technical mastery and maturity, Broberg's completely personal artistry, Hsu's versatility, intimate musicality and potential. I still havent found anywhere that Sunwoo stands out (but I am still listening). My befuddlement led me to Google "politics in piano competitions" and I found some interesting commentary:

Terry Teachout mentions the Cliburn's poor track record, critiques the current competition system, and proposes a totally different way of handpicking a winner (that will never happen):
http://www.interlude.hk/front/why-piano-competitions-will-never-yield-a-superstar/

A 2012 WQXR piece lists five top controversies from piano competitions. If it were updated, it might add the failure to give the stunning Lucas Debargue a medal at the 2015 Tchaikovsky. (No one I listened to at the 2017 Cliburn can touch Debargue's brilliance, passion and charisma - IOW what he can do for classical music if he can survive the limelight [maybe it's better that he didn't win!].)
http://www.wqxr.org/story/206224-top-five-competition-controversies/

A 2009 opinion piece by a former piano competition board member is a broad critique of the politics of international competitions with the Cliburn as a prime example, and has a (dead) link to a petition signed by over 500 people, mostly career pianists, demanding reform of the judging process and competition formats. (Note: as a former petition organizer, I know that's an impressive number. I wonder what became of their campaign. Probably nothing.) He also notes the mushrooming of competitions even as classical audiences dwindle. http://www.factsandarts.com/current-affairs/behind-the-scenes-at-piano-competitions/

Happily, Favorin and Tchaidze are already very successful and didnt really need medals here. It will be interesting to see what becomes of Sunwoo. I feel rather confident about Broberg and Hsu.

Spun Silver

I have a ton of desk work these days and I am using the opportunity to listen to lots of the performances. Or at least half-listen. So, for @dinakt again who asked for recommendations, here are some standouts:

- If you listen to Yekwon Sunwoo's finals performance of the Dvorak A major Quintet his win may make a little more sense. It's really perfection. His collaboration with the wonderful Brentano Quartet is worth hearing over and over.
- Leonardo Pierdomenico's semifinals recital with the four Chopin ballades was more than a tour de force. You know I have the highest Chopin standards (Lipatti) - well, he was still breathtaking. He is magisterial in the romantic repertoire. He was spectacular in his quarterfinals recital too, with Liszt and Rachmaninov. Listening to him I thought he should have won the whole thing.
- I loved Martin James Bartlett's second and last recital - he is one of those original, personal musicians who can hardly be boring to save his life.
- Daniel Hsu is stunning in the Franck Quintet (again, hats off to the Brentano). He totally gets its wildness. Love, love, love it.

Still listening...

Spun Silver

One last comment on Sunwoo -- his quarterfinals performance of La Valse was fabulous. He showed he's a real virtuoso but what's more he caught the insane euphoria of the piece. I'm now OK with his win. I found many of his performances dull, but he was truly a master in the Ravel and Dvorak. Very possibly he can do his best more often in settings other than a hunger games marathon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information