Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm soooo glad she finally has different eye makeup instead of the black curved-up line she always wore. I never liked it and don't think it did her any favours. But this new look! Wow! Gorgeous! :swoon:

chapis

I'm soooo glad she finally has different eye makeup instead of the black curved-up line she always wore. I never liked it and don't think it did her any favours. But this new look! Wow! Gorgeous! :swoon:

I always envied that eye makeup, I tried it to myself without success :wuzrobbed. But she looks great with this other style too.

Last edited:

DDNatalia

Actually if you follow Maia on twitter it's very apparent that she has a lot of fans who tweet her back, begging her to do a Youtube tutorial on how she does her expert "cat eye" eyeliner.

In the stunning Instagram photo Maia posted, you can see crediting the creative team at "Beauty is Boring"
http://beautyisboring.com

Chief Creative Officer, Robin Black is a renowned makeup artist and photographer, who the site describes as a collaborator with top models, musicians, actors, artists. Her approach is to be "inclusive" and "aspirational." Their work has been featured in top fashion magazines including Vogue, Elle, Vanity Fair to name a few.

Our girl sure can pull off some high fashion style! Hope she posts more from the photo shoot!

chapis

Actually if you follow Maia on twitter it's very apparent that she has a lot of fans who tweet her back, begging her to do a Youtube tutorial on how she does her expert "cat eye" eyeliner.

In the stunning Instagram photo Maia posted, you can see crediting the creative team at "Beauty is Boring"
http://beautyisboring.com

Chief Creative Officer, Robin Black is a renowned makeup artist and photographer, who the site describes as a collaborator with top models, musicians, actors, artists. Her approach is to be "inclusive" and "aspirational." Their work has been featured in top fashion magazines including Vogue, Elle, Vanity Fair to name a few.

Our girl sure can pull off some high fashion style! Hope she posts more from the photo shoot!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that article. It says ¨she showed up to the studio with Zingerman’s brownies from her home town of Ann Arbo¨. Awww, so nice.

VGThuy

On my way to work this week, my shuffle played the soundtrack to The Tale of Princess Kaguya and then Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. I immediately thought some thing like that would be perfect for the Shibs next season. I've been championing Kaguya for a while (one of Joe Hisaishi's best works) and I think anything Sakamoto would be excellent. As skating fans, we're all familiar with the piano/violin version of Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence but now that Alex and Maia have shown they're not afraid to arrange their own music, I think something a bit fuller would also be an excellent choice.

I know people might criticize them for doing another Japanese theme, but I think there's so much they can do with it that hasn't been done as long as it's a bit more exciting than their Memoirs of a Geisha FD which I liked in terms of giving ice dance something totally moody and down but didn't really hit all cylinders the way one excepts. Plus, if they decide on Sakamoto, it'll be more contemporary than folk.

Anyway, here are two of my favorite Japanese dances that they've done:

Tom Dickson choreographed Japanese Folk with Fan Prop from 2007-2008 Nationals

2009-2010 Junior GPF OD

lauravvv

See DDNatalia's response to you. That photo is from a photo shoot, so I doubt Maia is always going to look like this or similarly from now on. Plus, I too think that her black eye-liner/cat-eye look is fabulous. She could change it up more often, but, in my opinion, it looks great on her.

chapis

They are totally prepared!. And yes, their blues pattern look more impressive.

VGThuy

They are totally prepared!. And yes, their blues pattern look more impressive.

I'm really impressed with the ice they covered in the beginning of the pattern where they hit that rose (I think it's a rose) logo and how deep Maia's edges were towards the end of the Midnight steps.

chapis

I'm really impressed with the ice they covered in the beginning of the pattern where they hit that rose (I think it's a rose) logo and how deep Maia's edges were towards the end of the Midnight steps.

it is true. Do you mean the Smucker´s logo? I think are strawberries.

VGThuy

it is true. Do you mean the Smuckers logo? I think are strawberries.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Using that logo as a reference point, I remember their pattern wasn't as big at Skate America. I will give one critique in that I wish their partial step was choreographically more interesting. I remember loving their partial step last season. I know it's half the size this season as it was last season, but I think they could do more interesting steps. I also wish they added more dancing in the straightline step. I'm just being this picky because I want them fighting it out with V/M and P/C.

chapis

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Using that logo as a reference point, I remember their pattern wasn't as big at Skate America. I will give one critique in that I wish their partial step was choreographically more interesting. I remember loving their partial step last season. I know it's half the size this season as it was last season, but I think they could do more interesting steps. I also wish they added more dancing in the straightline step. I'm just being this picky because I want them fighting it out with V/M and P/C.

In my opinion the straightline step. is perfect but I am totally agree about the partial step. They did not make many changes to the SD, but the quality definitely is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information