Transferring video from DVR to computer

Debbie S

After searching and considering all my options, I have decided that the easiest and most cost-effective way to transfer my recordings of skating events to DVD is to use my computer. I did some research and it seems I need some sort of video capture card or device (prefer something that doesn't have to be installed inside the computer) and a cable. My DVR has the component cables that connect it to the cable box but I assume I need to buy a separate cable or cables?

My laptop is new, only 4 months old, runs Windows 7, and has Windows DVD maker installed, so I assume that once the recordings are transferred to the hard drive, burning the actual DVD will be straightforward (maybe?). It has 4 USB ports and an HDMI port - I'm guessing I should buy an HDMI cable to connect DVR to computer?

For those who have done this, what equipment do I need to do the transfer? Any recommendations on which type/brand? Any other advice? I'm very no-teknik when it comes to these things. TIA!

acraven

Debbie, I've sent you a PM.

I've never tried to move videos from a DVR to a computer, and it's analog (not digital) video that I'm capturing either directly from my cable box or from a VCR, so I have a feeling you will need to use different hardware and different software. I hope someone who has more suitable experience will chime in soon with advice. In the meantime, this link may be helpful: http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrbasics/bb/Considerations-When-Choosing-A-Video-Capture-Device.htm

This is a good source of quality, inexpensive cables and related gear: http://www.monoprice.com/ . It will save you a lot of money if you need to buy multiple cables.

This is where I order my DVDs and DVD cases: http://www.supermediastore.com/ . I use Taiyo Yuden 8x premium DVD-R media.

A.H.Black

Debbie, I've sent you a PM.

I've never tried to move videos from a DVR to a computer, and it's analog (not digital) video that I'm capturing either directly from my cable box or from a VCR, so I have a feeling you will need to use different hardware and different software. I hope someone who has more suitable experience will chime in soon with advice. In the meantime, this link may be helpful: http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrbasics/bb/Considerations-When-Choosing-A-Video-Capture-Device.htm

This is a good source of quality, inexpensive cables and related gear: http://www.monoprice.com/ . It will save you a lot of money if you need to buy multiple cables.

This is where I order my DVDs and DVD cases: http://www.supermediastore.com/ . I use Taiyo Yuden 8x premium DVD-R media.

Thanks for more information. I checked out the prices at supermedia and I think the prices are better at http://www.rima.com/. I have tried Taiyo Yuden, but I have had better luck with Verbatim.

acraven

Thanks for more information. I checked out the prices at supermedia and I think the prices are better at http://www.rima.com/. I have tried Taiyo Yuden, but I have had better luck with Verbatim.

It may depend on the DVD burner, or luck in terms of what batch of DVDs you buy. My old LG and new HP burners have done very, very well with the Taiyo Yudens. I've burned over 5000 DVDs and have had no more than 4 or 5 failures that could possibly have been due to bad media, though I suspect they were caused by the impending death of the LG burner.

As for Rima vs. Supermediastore cost, it would probably depend on whether you buy enough to get free shipping from SMS. I always do.

A.H.Black

It may depend on the DVD burner, or luck in terms of what batch of DVDs you buy. My old LG and new HP burners have done very, very well with the Taiyo Yudens. I've burned over 5000 DVDs and have had no more than 4 or 5 failures that could possibly have been due to bad media, though I suspect they were caused by the impending death of the LG burner.

As for Rima vs. Supermediastore cost, it would probably depend on whether you buy enough to get free shipping from SMS. I always do.

My problem with Taiyo Yuden is that there is no specific end point on the recording. If I forget to set the timer or am not right on top of it, the space runs out and it won't finalize (at least it used to). With the verbatim, when I forget or get too close to the end, it stops itself and I can still finalize and I don't lose the DVD. I hate making coasters.

If I am ever in a position to qualify for free shipping I will look into Supermediastore.

ngcskate

Piggybacking on this question...does anyone know of anyway to repair a disc that used to play, but doesn't now? It was never finalized, I put it in the machine one day to record and it wouldn't load.

Skate Talker

Hijacking this thread a bit to see if anyone has experience with a PVR Expander. It apparently records MP4 and has both USB and eSata connections, but I don't know if I can disconnect it from the cable box, attach it to the PC and copy MP4 files over. Also don't know what would happen when I subsequently re-attach it to the cable box. Will it try to re-install it? On the original install it required me to let it completely reformat the hard drive, which it warned would over-write and existing files on the drive. Would it over-write again so that I lose all the recorded shows?

Also wondering if anyone knows if the pvr tries to record to any existing space on its own hard drive first and only uses the expander when full, or vice-versa?

topaz

Skate Talker, you can't. It would reformat the DVR expander. It it erase all your saved programs with the reformat.

The DVR expander replaces the DVR hard drive.

Skate Talker

Thanks for the info, topaz. I was hoping that wouldn't be how it worked but obviously no such luck, sigh.

One more question - what do you think would happen if I left it attached to the cable box, but also used the USB connection to attach to my computer? Any chance that might work? There is only one supplier of expanders that I have been able to find in my town and unfortunately they didn't have much info to help me and the packaging had zero instructions - in fact it was packaged in the box for the hard drive shell and just had a sticker on top showing a hard-drive had been installed.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@Debbie S I'm not sure about how it's done from a DVR. I do have software and an actual VCR that I can hook up to my laptop through the USB port. I can watch the video and hit record for whatever I wish to save to my laptop in my video file. I have what's called a ION VCR 2 PC. Once I've finished downloading the video, I can convert it to WMV and either use Windows DVD Maker to burn a DVD or save the videos to an external hard drive. That's how I make the skating videos and then upload them to the YouTube channel. I actually use the VCR 2 PC with my old Windows XP SP3 laptop. I like the old Movie Maker better. I also used the K-Lite Codec Pack (full) which allows me to convert the MPEG2 videos to WMV. I then transfer the videos with a flash drive to my Windows 7 laptop. It must be similar to yours because I also have an HDMI port on my laptop. I know you couldn't use that, but ION now has Video 2 PC.

It's a digital video converter. I don't know if that's what you need or not, but there may be other devices at ION that could help you out.

ETA: I just found some instructions that may help:

How to copy shows from a DVR to computer

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thanks, @Simone411. I actually started this thread 3 years ago. :) Skate Talker resurrected it to ask their own question.

Thanks for the link, but it's actually not that easy (if only....;)). The problem is most cable companies disable the ports on the DVR boxes before giving them to customers, so you generally need to transfer via some other medium/software, like you've done with your VCR.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thanks, @Simone411. I actually started this thread 3 years ago. :) Skate Talker resurrected it to ask their own question.

Thanks for the link, but it's actually not that easy (if only....;)). The problem is most cable companies disable the ports on the DVR boxes before giving them to customers, so you generally need to transfer via some other medium/software, like you've done with your VCR.
Debbie, I just noticed the dates! lol! Well, I hope someone can help Skate Talker with his problem.

I did learn something from you because I didn't realize that cable companies disabled the ports, but it does make sense that they would do that.
Thanks! :)

topaz

Thanks for the info, topaz. I was hoping that wouldn't be how it worked but obviously no such luck, sigh.

One more question - what do you think would happen if I left it attached to the cable box, but also used the USB connection to attach to my computer? Any chance that might work? There is only one supplier of expanders that I have been able to find in my town and unfortunately they didn't have much info to help me and the packaging had zero instructions - in fact it was packaged in the box for the hard drive shell and just had a sticker on top showing a hard-drive had been installed.

I don't think that will work. The expander only uses one port at one time. You can not have the esata and usb connected to two different devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information