Gracie Gold's memoir published February 2024

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
But don’t Tara and Johnny take pride in publicly declaring they’ll speak their mind even if it goes against “party line”. They seemed like they a made a big showing of that when they thought Nathan was getting underscored in comparison to Adam back in the day.
Johnny also said on-air during the 2010 Worlds that he was 'told to be very pro-American' in the middle of raving about Ksenia Makarova.

I know they get their talking-points and I bet all North American commentators are told to be patriotic (or extreme fans of Bourne/Kraatz...), but it hasn't stopped Tara and Johnny from showing who their favorites are. Johnny also used to rip into Tennell pretty often for who knows what reasons.

VGThuy

Johnny also said on-air during the 2010 Worlds that he was 'told to be very pro-American' in the middle of raving about Ksenia Makarova.

I know they get their talking-points and I bet all North American commentators are told to be patriotic (or extreme fans of Bourne/Kraatz...), but it hasn't stopped Tara and Johnny from showing who their favorites are. Johnny also used to rip into Tennell pretty often for who knows what reasons.

He also said Polina Edmunds' packaging and program was "atrociious" during her Four Continents-winning "Tinkerbell" free skate. I mean I'm sure many fans agreed with that, but I bet that wasn't something the producers and/or USFS wanted him to say, :lol:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If I'd ever heard something interesting or enlightening in a KnC interview, or an interview immediately after the skater's performance, I'd be in favour of either. As it is, either the questions are so generic or the skaters have been so thoroughly media-trained that the interviews are pointless. For broadcasts, I'd sooner see that time used to show another skater's performance.

canbelto

I remember they did a K&C on Katia and Sergei in Calgary SP. They had made a rather weird mistake where they were facing away from the judges. Katia was furious and left the K&C and Sergei was left to be like "um ..."

Willin

Well, yeah, but is it really necessary? I don't think most fans watch skating so they can see skaters sitting on a couch. If the sport wants to care about athlete mental health....
In most professional sports if an athlete chooses NOT to talk to the media there is a penalty. Now I don't believe that's true in college sports, but there is a precedent for athletes being "grilled" (Watch the Super Bowl Sunday for a real life example) As for the couch, this is happening in a lot of Olympic sports. All the ski, snowboard sports come to mind immediately. They even tried something like this for gymnastics individual events. ( I remember at World's last year when Simone finished one of her events the athletes currently in 1, 2 and 3 immediately moved without even waiting on the scores :) )
This sprung the legendary "I'm just here so I don't get fined."

But it is necessary to the marketing of the sport. Any publicity is good publicity and that includes dramatic moments. Remember Tonya and Nancy? Bad publicity and an awful incident, but people still talk about it to this day - it even had an Oscar moment. That incident keeps figure skating relevant. Blades of Glory rakes figure skating over the coals, but it got people talking about figure skating.

If you look at what goes viral from figure skating - what gets people talking about figure skating - it's the drama both good and bad. It's extremely bad falls. It's Ashley Wagner saying "bullshit" in the Kiss and Cry. It's the Kamila drama and the Trusova breakdown. But there's also good drama that goes viral: a synchro team elated by their scores, a fantastic ice dance lift, the first 4A in competition, Surya's backflip. While it's not always good for the athletes, it can be very good for the sport.

He also said Polina Edmunds' packaging and program was "atrociious" during her Four Continents-winning "Tinkerbell" free skate. I mean I'm sure many fans agreed with that, but I bet that wasn't something the producers and/or USFS wanted him to say,

I think he said what everyone was thinking - I wouldn't be surprised if USFS told Polina and her coaches the same thing behind closed doors...

Allskate

As it is, either the questions are so generic or the skaters have been so thoroughly media-trained that the interviews are pointless.
That's what Gracie says. She would get the same boring handful of questions over and over and was trained to overcome her lack of filter and just say boring princess stuff. But, at the same time, the mixed zone was really not fun.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Speaking of Gracie and interviews, Robert Brodie has some interesting reflections on interviewing her in his Substack that came today.

All of this got me thinking about the time, back in 2015, when I did a lengthy phone interview with Gold for International Figure Skating Magazine. Reading over that story a few days ago, it’s clear that Gold, then 20 years old (she’s 28 now), came across as a driven, confident skater who believed she could be the best on the planet. Worlds was in Boston that season (in the area of the U.S. where she was born) and the idea of winning the women’s title was clearly front and centre in her mind. And entirely possible.

“It’s Boston, it’s my town and I want it to be my year at Worlds.” she said back then. “It sounds like I’m talking big … but I want to win Worlds, not just be on the podium. I feel like, why don’t I just go out and win it?”

(That kind of honest talk always made Gold a dream interview).

The other thing I remember about that interview was, when our conversation was done, Gold saying “that was really fun.” (hey, we spent 20 minutes talking about her and Taylor Swift. How can that not be fun, right?). So it was for me, too (Gold came across to me as someone very likeable and cool to talk to), which was why it was, as her struggles with mental health and eating disorders in the years that followed came to light, that I kept wishing that “fun” could be a part of her world a little more again.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Willin I think that many of the dramatic moments you've mentioned were broadcast because there was a camera backstage or rinkside. That to my mind is different than having a "journalist" in that area, with a microphone, sticking the microphone into people's faces and asking them inane questions. Personally, I'm completely fine with having a roving camera backstage. What I could do without is the inane interviews.

Debbie S

But there's also good drama that goes viral: a synchro team elated by their scores, a fantastic ice dance lift, the first 4A in competition, Surya's backflip. While it's not always good for the athletes, it can be very good for the sport.
Agree that promoting all of these things is good for the sport, but have we seen that happen? USFS did nothing with Ilia's 4A...what a missed opportunity. And it's not as if Ilia shies away from attention. There is a lot USFS could be promoting on whatever channels to draw in fans. Couch-sitting doesn't need to be (and isn't, IMO) one of them.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't see much benefit from it, and I don't think it's healthy for the skaters.

I think it depends on how it's done. If a skater is having a meltdown, then it's probably not appropriate to be filming that. OTOH if there hadn't been a rinkside camera at the Olympics, we wouldn't have seen Trusova crying and yelling "I hate this sport and I'll never skate again", which was a fairly dramatic depiction of how dysfunctional things were in the Eteri camp.

puglover

Interesting that two of the old-timers who are remembered with real fondness for their straightforward outspokeness are Dick Button and Toller Cranston. It seems from Gracies' comments it is not so much criticism of the skating, program, costume, music, etc. that is hurtful but when the comments cross the line into attacking the skater themselves or attempting to analyze why they are not doing better - eg. bad attitude, giving up, etc. I would also think speculating on solutions - change coaches, lose weight would also be disturbing. It seems athletes from other sports, eg. tennis, are reacting to the microphone in the face type of interviews following a disappointing result so hopefully together they can join voices to stop this.

Allskate

I think it depends on how it's done. If a skater is having a meltdown, then it's probably not appropriate to be filming that. OTOH if there hadn't been a rinkside camera at the Olympics, we wouldn't have seen Trusova crying and yelling "I hate this sport and I'll never skate again", which was a fairly dramatic depiction of how dysfunctional things were in the Eteri camp.
There are lots of dysfunctional moments in athletes' lives. I don't think we're entitled to see them. I think the obvious stress we saw on these teens is a good argument for giving them space. It's not like anything changed as a result of seeing the meltdowns. And if the cameras aren't there for the purpose of witnessing meltdowns, what is the reason for having them? How many sports have cameras backstage?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There are lots of dysfunctional moments in athletes' lives. I don't think we're entitled to see them. I think the obvious stress we saw on these teens is a good argument for giving them space. It's not like anything changed as a result of seeing the meltdowns. And if the cameras aren't there for the purpose of witnessing meltdowns, what is the reason for having them? How many sports have cameras backstage?

A lot of them. Baseball has cameras on the dugouts and in the bullpen, basketball has cameras on the bench, football has cameras on the sidelines. Those may not be "backstage" in the sense of "in the dressing rooms" but many sports have cameras covering areas other than the field of play. (And for some of those sports, there's good reasons not to have cameras in other areas, e.g. areas where team or game strategies are being planned.)

Rinkside cameras at skating capture a lot of interesting things that aren't meltdowns. Like how skaters look when they're going out for their warmup - are they nervous, are they relaxed, do they look ready, etc.

And whether something changes as a result of coverage shouldn't be the criteria for coverage IMO. As we're seeing right now with the Olympic team medals, not a lot has changed WRT doping and abusive Russian training. But FWIW that Trusova meltdown opened a lot of non-skating fans' eyes as to how much pressure the Russian women were under.

Allskate

A lot of them. Baseball has cameras on the dugouts and in the bullpen, basketball has cameras on the bench, football has cameras on the sidelines. Those may not be "backstage" in the sense of "in the dressing rooms" but many sports have cameras covering areas other than the field of play. (And for some of those sports, there's good reasons not to have cameras in other areas, e.g. areas where team or game strategies are being planned.)
I don't see that as comparable to backstage in skating. I see that as similar to the 6-minute warm-up or showing the skater just as they are about to be called to the ice or showing skater families cheering on the skaters. What is going on in the bullpen is directly relevant to what is happening or about to happen on the field.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
(And for some of those sports, there's good reasons not to have cameras in other areas, e.g. areas where team or game strategies are being planned.)
It's funny that in curling, they now have the teams miked up discussing shot strategy. That might not help if you don't understand Czech, Italian, Swedish, German, Russian, Mandarin, etc. though :).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't see that as comparable to backstage in skating. I see that as similar to the 6-minute warm-up or showing the skater just as they are about to be called to the ice or showing skater families cheering on the skaters. What is going on in the bullpen is directly relevant to what is happening or about to happen on the field.

I guess we disagree on what "backstage" means then. I have no problem with cameras at rinkside or in the KnC. People in the arena are watching those areas too, so the skaters are aware that what they do there is public. If bad things happen there, it's part of covering the event to show those. If a skater is having a meltdown in the KnC then people in the arena are seeing it too. But for the reasons I mentioned I don't see any value in interviewing them, or asking them inane questions in any other place off the ice.

Like @Debbie S said (please correct me if I've misunderstood) I also don't see any value in forcing skaters to sit on the "waiting room couch" and having a camera on them, or showing them arriving at the arena with their rolling bags, stretching, etc. It's not even interesting TV, unless they're making resting bitch faces at each other on the couch.

moonvine

I remember Andrea Joyce interviewing Alexa and Chris when they made the Olympic team. Alexa was crying so hard, Andrea kept asking "Well how do you FEEL?" Alexa finally choked out "God is good." Then Chris was like "enough." Why was that necessary? And that was a GOOD thing (making the Olympic team) Of course they are happy! That's not surprise information!

Allskate

I guess we disagree on what "backstage" means then. I have no problem with cameras at rinkside or in the KnC. People in the arena are watching those areas too, so the skaters are aware that what they do there is public.
I mean literally where the public cannot otherwise see the skaters. That's where the cameras were filming Isabeau after the Nationals long program and what prompted my comment that launched this whole discussion. Rinkside and Kiss and Cry are fair game for cameras to me.

moonvine

Interesting that two of the old-timers who are remembered with real fondness for their straightforward outspokeness are Dick Button and Toller Cranston. It seems from Gracies' comments it is not so much criticism of the skating, program, costume, music, etc. that is hurtful but when the comments cross the line into attacking the skater themselves or attempting to analyze why they are not doing better - eg. bad attitude, giving up, etc. I would also think speculating on solutions - change coaches, lose weight would also be disturbing. It seems athletes from other sports, eg. tennis, are reacting to the microphone in the face type of interviews following a disappointing result so hopefully together they can join voices to stop this.
I hear people say "change coaches" constantly. Maybe they can't afford another coach, maybe they don't WANT another coach. Unless you are willing to pay for it, I don't think it's a helpful thing to say.

skatingguy

decently
These days. All of them.

Debbie S

Agree that skaters should be able to have private spaces to have meltdowns off camera. I wasn't bothered by the camera showing Trusova's rinkside meltdown (not that the meltdown was fun to watch) b/c that was in full view of the spectators. I also don't mind cameras showing the skaters walking out for warmup since most of the audience can see the skaters coming through the curtain area. I would favor having a specific, very limited area where cameras can be backstage, leaving plenty of space/rooms for skaters to escape to w/o cameras watching.

Lynn226

Gracie mentioned on page 33 that her mother was previously married and had a daughter named Kendra. Am I the only one who finds it strange that she is never mentioned, again? What was her role in this family?

puglover

Gracie mentioned on page 33 that her mother was previously married and had a daughter named Kendra. Am I the only one who finds it strange that she is never mentioned, again? What was her role in this family?
I noticed that as well. Not only does she not seem to be mentioned again, Gracie's description of their mother's extreme interest/obsession in her skating and, perhaps to a lesser degree, her twin sister's, made me wonder how this older half sister fit in with all of that. Gracie clearly makes the point they all had roles so what about Kendra?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In some divorces, one parent takes full responsibility for the child, and there's no contact between that child and the other parent's later family. Sometimes that's the child's choice, and sometimes it's the non-custodial parent's choice. It's unusual but it happens. (Canada's former Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson had two daughters with her first husband, whose name she kept after they divorced, but he raised them and they didn't have any contact with her until they chose to as adults.)

Lynn226

I noticed that as well. Not only does she not seem to be mentioned again, Gracie's description of their mother's extreme interest/obsession in her skating and, perhaps to a lesser degree, her twin sister's, made me wonder how this older half sister fit in with all of that. Gracie clearly makes the point they all had roles so what about Kendra?

In some divorces, one parent takes full responsibility for the child, and there's no contact between that child and the other parent's later family. Sometimes that's the child's choice, and sometimes it's the non-custodial parent's choice. It's unusual but it happens. (Canada's former Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson had two daughters with her first husband, whose name she kept after they divorced, but he raised them and they didn't have any contact with her until they chose to as adults.)
Gracie mentions that her dad was good with Kendra. Of course, that doesn't mean she always lived with the Gold family. Gracie also doesn't give her last name, so perhaps Kendra prefers to keep a low profile.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This sprung the legendary "I'm just here so I don't get fined."

But it is necessary to the marketing of the sport. Any publicity is good publicity and that includes dramatic moments. Remember Tonya and Nancy? Bad publicity and an awful incident, but people still talk about it to this day - it even had an Oscar moment. That incident keeps figure skating relevant. Blades of Glory rakes figure skating over the coals, but it got people talking about figure skating.

If you look at what goes viral from figure skating - what gets people talking about figure skating - it's the drama both good and bad. It's extremely bad falls. It's Ashley Wagner saying "bullshit" in the Kiss and Cry. It's the Kamila drama and the Trusova breakdown. But there's also good drama that goes viral: a synchro team elated by their scores, a fantastic ice dance lift, the first 4A in competition, Surya's backflip. While it's not always good for the athletes, it can be very good for the sport.

I think he said what everyone was thinking - I wouldn't be surprised if USFS told Polina and her coaches the same thing behind closed doors...
My daughter told me yesterday how much she loved Surya as a kid. Did she know from edges? Nope. But she loved the backflip and the attitude. She even remembered Surya’s medal stand tantrum after losing to Yuka and she was all of 7 years old at the time.

Lynn226

This whole thread of conversation just reminded me of one of the lines that made me LOL in the book - her suggestion that they put a “rage room” next to the k&c at competitions.
Commentators would stand outside reporting on who entered and the decibel level of the screaming. The network would want a camera inside which negates the whole purpose of a rage room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information