coppertop1

I would guess closer to 2014
Kim Yuna was possibly robbed by more than just scoring
The drugs are a result of Russia giving the athletes no choice. I don’t think she is still skating? Correct me if I’m wrong though.
She's at the Eteri Expiration Date, so likely will retire soon
A Raducan comparison clearly isn't an accurate one at this point in time. Valieva has been banned for 4 years, dating back to December 2021.
The comparison was the Team Event in Sydney where China had a 14-year-old competing

On My Own

My expectation is that now we WILL see the Canadian Olympic Committee advocate for their athletes. Hopefully. They deserve that bronze medal.
On the basis of being clean athletes, yes, but I wouldn't say there was anything good going on in their skating to really actually be deserving of a medal. Japan and USA will rightly get their due though.

AYS

🌻
The ISU has had 2 full years to make this decision depending on how the ruling went, so they better know what they are doing at this point. I know they're almost an entirely reactive organization but there were really only a couple of dependencies to consider here.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
On the basis of being clean athletes, yes, but I wouldn't say there was anything good going on in their skating to really actually be deserving of a medal. Japan and USA will rightly get their due though.
Sadovsky was the very weak link with the Canadian squad in 2022. Ice Dance - they suffered from that being a deep field and GilPoir being 4th in the RD and 3rd in the FD. Pairs - another deep field but their teams weren't terrible. Women - Schizas really stepped her game up in what was a very inconsistent field.

I don't think it's fair to characterize them as undeserving of the bronze. Russia cheated.

Judy

What are the chances of medals being returned and the money .. especially with what’s happening currently with Russia?

honey

So they shouldn’t fight for a medal because they didn’t skate their best, but it was better than the teams that finished behind them? So they should throw up their hands and say “no, we don’t want the open medal that is available to the teams that competed clean because some of our team under performed”. Okay then.

barbk

Is the confidentiality review and withholding of the full decision mentioned at the end of the press release typical?

Karen-W

The ISU has had 2 full years to make this decision depending on how the ruling went, so they better know what they are doing at this point. I know they're almost an entirely reactive organization but there were really only a couple of dependencies to consider here.
Sure, but you can bet that the ROC will appeal the decision if it means they lose any medal at all. This won't be settled by the summer, I'm sure. Especially because it is unprecedented and was not addressed in the TE document as a potential scoring scenario. The ROC will fight tooth and nail.

On My Own

I don't think it's fair to characterize them as undeserving of the bronze.
Well in terms of skating quality, I would. I am perfectly fine with admitting they deserve it simply for playing by the rules, but I just don't think anyone deserved the bronze here.

Karen-W

What are the chances of medals being returned and the money .. especially with what’s happening currently with Russia?
No medals have been awarded yet. The Russian government certainly won't stop treating their team like the champions and there's nothing anyone can do about that. The rest will certainly get upgraded by their NOCs, I'm sure.

Judy

No medals have been awarded yet. The Russian government certainly won't stop treating their team like the champions and there's nothing anyone can do about that. The rest will certainly get upgraded by their NOCs, I'm sure.
I definitely know Russia won’t stop treating them as the winners.
‘Do the have extra Olympic medals to give out though because Russia would def never allow returning them

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Sure, but you can bet that the ROC will appeal the decision if it means they lose any medal at all. This won't be settled by the summer, I'm sure. Especially because it is unprecedented and was not addressed in the TE document as a potential scoring scenario. The ROC will fight tooth and nail.
Russia can appeal but the ISU has the option of saying "appeal denied" too. Do I think they will? No. Should they? Yes.

Karen-W

I definitely know Russia won’t stop treating them as the winners.
‘Do the have extra Olympic medals to give out though because Russia would def never allow returning them
Russia never got any medals from the Team Event in Beijing. No country got medals. There is no "returning them" necessary since the original medals are sitting in a vault in the IOC headquarters in Lausanne.

On My Own

But that's not how sports works.
And I am stating an opinion about my view of their skating, not saying "Please ISU don't award anyone with bronze because they all sucked". Which is also why I said I don't care if every Eteri girl is stripped of a medal, but it seems nobody has an issue with that.

Although I would very much say medals and the countries that won them should matter less to everyone than what's produced out there in the field.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none

I think it's all but guaranteed that the US has won the gold and Japan the silver, unless Valieva somehow qualifies for one of the narrow exceptions to the Swiss federal tribunal.

I do think the fight over bronze may prolong this further.

There’s a lovely competition in Montreal coming up. Great time for a medal ceremony 😜

Or they could do something at the summer Olympics in Paris - assuming this is definitively resolved by then, which it may not be. :(

Rob

Beach Bum
If Valieva gets a 0 as if she did not skate, moving each other skater up by 1 pt for each program is consistent with what they did with Germany pairs and Ukraine man who couldn't skate due to COVID. No one got a 1 in those segments; the lowest score was 2 and the highest was 10. Moving Russia to 3rd is inconsistent with this - the lowest score would be 1 and the highest would be 9 in ladies SP; 6 to 9 in LP.

I doubt they will DQ the whole team because Germany/Ukraine competed with 3 disciplines in SP. With the M, P, D earning 26 pts in the SP, Russia would still have qualified for the LP round.

Judy

I think it's all but guaranteed that the US has won the gold and Japan the silver, unless Valieva somehow qualifies for one of the narrow exceptions to the Swiss federal tribunal.

Or they could do something at the summer Olympics in Paris - assuming this is definitively resolved by then, which it may not be. :(
Can you elaborate on why the bronze is questionable? I’m confused over that. I’ve heard it a few times.

I never knew they didn’t award the medals though but I don’t think I watched it either.

Karen-W

Agreed. Certainly the US and Japan will be upgraded. The question becomes how hard does Bach try to bend over to appease Russia.
I really think we won't see a medal ceremony until Boston Worlds next year or even Milano-Cortina. I'd love it if it was settled by Paris this summer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information