2024 US Figure Skating Championships

Debbie S

I can confirm some details on tonight's "sellout."

Unless a bunch of people are going to arrive later (which may well be), there are empty seats in the lower bowl, including the non-judge side. But I would say about 80% of the lower bowl is full (and the lower rows on the judge side likely were never offered for sale).

There are people sitting in the upper deck, no curtain, but not many. I wonder if those were sold at a discount to groups (skating clubs, etc).

Overall, better attendance today than Friday/weekend last year. We'll see how tomorrow and Sunday compare.

ETA: And USFS posts an IG story of the "sold out" arena with empty seats clearly visible. :lol:

Last edited:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Gracie was on with Tara and Johnny for a brief talk yesterday. They mentioned her book, but not its name. Perhaps because it was sort of a "feel good" puff piece for the "Saatva Dream Moment"

Ever since I attended a charity show in Columbus, i've been rooting for it to host Nationals. Thought it was a great combo of hotel choice, good food options and centrally located. I'm sorry I couldn't be there this year, but glad to hear it sounds like people are having a good time. I enjoy reading all the reports.
I'm really enjoying it. It's clear the community has come out to support the event. I've met a lot of volunteers who aren't skating fans but getting into it now, they are just local and enjoy supporting sporting events when they are in town. The arena food here isn't bad either!

I've heard the free dance is nearly sold out in the lower bowl, so we'll see how that is this afternoon!

Carolla5501

And I can confirm that even the folks who volunteered in Accreditation and surreptitiously looked through the long list of names searching for titles such as “Sports Commission“ or “Arena Management” didn‘t have any success. It’s still a mystery.
I feel like it would be harder to get a city to fork over what US figure skating wants when there’s also the worlds in Boston. Maybe I’m wrong but it also seems to me they need to probably look on the other coast

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
And I can confirm that even the folks who volunteered in Accreditation and surreptitiously looked through the long list of names searching for titles such as “Sports Commission“ or “Arena Management” didn‘t have any success. It’s still a mystery.
I’m more interested in ‘26. The pre-Os nationals are always exciting.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I feel like it would be harder to get a city to fork over what US figure skating wants when there’s also the worlds in Boston. Maybe I’m wrong but it also seems to me they need to probably look on the other coast
Well, if they have a strong LOC like Columbus and price the tickets correctly, they could sell out or come close to selling out most cities around the country. It really seems like the event has been well-advertised and promoted in the local media which is getting the casual folks looking for something interesting and different to do to the arena - and that's great for the sport.

I said it last night in the pbp thread - it was so wonderful to see the mostly packed arena and the audience cheering and supporting the skaters. It gives me hope we can get the interest in the sport and attendance at competitions back up to the levels we recall from 15-25 years ago. It's a good look for the sport to see nearly filled arenas at Euros and US Nats this year.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Tonight's attendance: more people than this afternoon but not as many as last night. More people in the upper deck than last night. Someone I know who bought tickets for the FD yesterday said there were no lower bowl seats available on Ticketmaster for tonight. So I guess the empty seats were sold to someone or given to sponsors.

nylynnr

Tonight's attendance: more people than this afternoon but not as many as last night. More people in the upper deck than last night. Someone I know who bought tickets for the FD yesterday said there were no lower bowl seats available on Ticketmaster for tonight. So I guess the empty seats were sold to someone or given to sponsors.
Seems to me the crowd tonight is comparable to last night, which is great for the event since pairs sometimes do not generate the same interest as women.

nylynnr

And after they watched that great skating this evening, they’ll probably not be lifelong fans. What were US figure skating and NBC thinking putting this on a Saturday night.
I am far from a Pollyanna but you are the single most relentlessly negative person I have ever encountered on FSU, and that takes in a lot of ground.

Debbie S

Would Ice Dance have really been any better this time around? :rofl:
I convinced an every-four-year fan (who lives in Columbus) to come to the FD over the men's FS (b/c men can be great, or not...men gonna men...). I was feeling a bit sheepish as the event went on but when I talked to her afterward (and explained C/B were sick), she said she didn't notice the mistakes (referring to all the teams) until she heard the gasping sounds....she doesn't know much about the technical side and just enjoyed the skating.

bippie102

First post after lurking for years, but just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this weekend despite the not so great skating. This is the 1st competition I have ever been at. Nothing has ever been close enough for me to attend. The workers have been so kind and helpful. We had problems with our tickets last night and they took care of it quickly and went ahead and printed out tickets for the rest of the events so we wouldn't have to go through it again.

Jean Luc sat right in front of me at the pairs final and was super nice when I asked for a picture. Later Christina C. and Anthony P. joined him. Amanda Evora's husband and her adorable children were behind us. The little girl kept yelling hi mommy whenever she saw her. If anyone was sitting near us I do apologize for my non skating fan with me who kept trying to talk to me and show me her Facebook feed during performances. I did my best to ignore her so she would be quiet.

Thanks to all of you who have educated, entertained and enlightened me over the years. I hope this won't be the last event I attend. Maybe it won't take me 59 years to get to another one.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
First post after lurking for years, but just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this weekend despite the not so great skating. This is the 1st competition I have ever been at. Nothing has ever been close enough for me to attend. The workers have been so kind and helpful. We had problems with our tickets last night and they took care of it quickly and went ahead and printed out tickets for the rest of the events so we wouldn't have to go through it again.

Jean Luc sat right in front of me at the pairs final and was super nice when I asked for a picture. Later Christina C. and Anthony P. joined him. Amanda Evora's husband and her adorable children were behind us. The little girl kept yelling hi mommy whenever she saw her. If anyone was sitting near us I do apologize for my non skating fan with me who kept trying to talk to me and show me her Facebook feed during performances. I did my best to ignore her so she would be quiet.

Thanks to all of you who have educated, entertained and enlightened me over the years. I hope this won't be the last event I attend. Maybe it won't take me 59 years to get to another one.

how exciting. Glad you got to go and have a good time and even meet some of the skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information