2024 US Figure Skating Championships

mtnskater

Columbus has been a fabulous venue. High Street and Short North are really cool and fun….who knew!?! First Nationals I remember where I’ve had no arena food. Lots of good close by local restaurants that are not all corporate chains. Loved Nada (Mexican) steps outside the arena. We shopped the boutiques on High Street this morning and found lots of great stuff. The venue is very nice though quite cold. Crowds are the best I have seen in years. Most all the US Figure Skating merchandise is already sold out and the programs were all sold out. Hope Columbus can host Nationals again sometime soon!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Columbus has been a fabulous venue. High Street and Short North are really cool and fun….who knew!?! First Nationals I remember where I’ve had no arena food. Lots of good close by local restaurants that are not all corporate chains. Loved Nada (Mexican) steps outside the arena. We shopped the boutiques on High Street this morning and found lots of great stuff. The venue is very nice though quite cold. Crowds are the best I have seen in years. Most all the US Figure Skating merchandise is already sold out and the programs were all sold out. Hope Columbus can host Nationals again sometime soon!
I was thinking today that this city could also be a great Worlds host down the line. The arena has the capacity, and there are so many major hotels within a few blocks.

Cannot say enough good things about the arena staff, the hotel staff at the Drury Inn (every single staff person is beyond, beyond friendly there), and the restaurant servers we've encountered. I also love that people working in the restaurants, stores, etc ask us about the skating and are very aware that it's a big event in town. Columbus FTW!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I was thinking today that this city could also be a great Worlds host down the line. The arena has the capacity, and there are so many major hotels within a few blocks.

Cannot say enough good things about the arena staff, the hotel staff at the Drury Inn (every single staff person is beyond, beyond friendly there), and the restaurant servers we've encountered. I also love that people working in the restaurants, stores, etc ask us about the skating and are very aware that it's a big event in town. Columbus FTW!
If not Worlds then possibly 4CCs or SkAm.

kalamalka

This sounds like a great event for the community and the spectators. Such a contrast with Canadian nationals a couple of weeks ago, in an almost empty rink and so far from the atmosphere we are/were used to at Canadians.

Canadians used to be my favourite event, but aside from the frigid temperatures (and choosing to watch as much as possible with Rosaleen, who can no longer travel), I would not go to a major event with no all-event tickets, or in a venue that cannot be easily accessed by transit. Both Euros and US nationals this year seem to have been great events to attend in person.

Carolla5501

I am far from a Pollyanna but you are the single most relentlessly negative person I have ever encountered on FSU, and that takes in a lot of ground.
Well, considering this charming insult I think you’re giving me a run for my money. Have a good day.

I’m really glad you spent the time to analyze all of my posting. I appreciate that effort.

bippie102

If Jean Luc sat in front of me you all damn well know I wouldn't have asked for a picture, but grilled him what he thought about the dance event. :rofl:
I would have loved to ask him about the dance event, but I wasn’t sure if it would be proper, and he seemd like too nice of a guy to give me much dirt. I can let you know that he sat about 3 rows in front of me during the Free Dance with Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, and someone who I’m pretty sure was Drew Meeknins. They didn’t seem to be analyzing the programs or anything and just appeared to be chatting between programs, until the last group where he was loudly cheering for B/S and C/P both as they took the ice and after their programs. I tried to gauge what he thought of the C/B performance and victory, but he didn’t really show any emotion and they didn’t really seem to be discussing it amongst themselves.

I’ll let you know if anyone sits in our section this afternoon during men’s. So far it has been a who’s who in figure skating around me and I feel very lucky to have had these seats for my first skating event.

Debbie S

I convinced an every-four-year fan (who lives in Columbus) to come to the FD over the men's FS (b/c men can be great, or not...men gonna men...). I was feeling a bit sheepish as the event went on but when I talked to her afterward (and explained C/B were sick), she said she didn't notice the mistakes (referring to all the teams) until she heard the gasping sounds....she doesn't know much about the technical side and just enjoyed the skating.
I guess I should have told her to come to the men instead? ;)

Hopefully, she did enjoy the FD. I don't think she's ever been to a skating comp so i think she just enjoyed seeing top level skating live.

Great job by the men today! Attendance-wise, it was a little less full than yesterday, typical Nats Sunday. But still a loud and supportive crowd.

icefan13

Seeing the crowds and positive energy on TV for this U.S. Nationals made me feel better about the state of skating than I have in quite a while. It seems that it was embraced well by the local community.

I love that there was a big crowd for pairs, and even though that FS was a rough event (no surprise really, with Alexa & Brandon no longer competing and mostly less experienced teams this year) I was happy for them to get that Sat night time slot and audience support that they rarely get to experience.

ross_hy

Seeing the crowds and positive energy on TV for this U.S. Nationals made me feel better about the state of skating than I have in quite a while. It seems that it was embraced well by the local community.

Agreed! It was so good to see large, enthusiastic crowds the last few days. I hope USFS will consider returning to Columbus in the future, should the local organizers be interested.

Speaking of large crowds, I wonder if USFS has checked on Spokane lately. Isn't that the Nationals where all the attendance records were set? They haven't hosted since 2010, I wonder if they would be interested again.

Jammers

I love that there was a big crowd for pairs, and even though that FS was a rough event (no surprise really, with Alexa & Brandon no longer competing and mostly less experienced teams this year) I was happy for them to get that Sat night time slot and audience support that they rarely get to experience.
It's just to bad that the largest crowds in years saw the sloppiest skating across the board in all Senior events in recent memory.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Phil Hersch - “Columbus did an excellent job selling tickets to the US figure skating championships. They priced them reasonably and it was affordable for a family of four to attend.”

“The Columbus organizing committee relentlessly publicized this locally.”

“The biggest crowd was for Saturday night for the mediocre Pairs competition.”

he’s being interviewed flying home to Chicago from the Columbus airport.

ice coverage

Just curious: Was it no problem for spectators in Columbus to enter the arena to watch exhibition practices?
Which I thought at past Nats have been closed to everyone?

A video clip on Kirk Haugeto's Instagram account shows him rehearsing his exhibition program in Nationwide Arena, and spectators (not many, but in double digits) clearly can be seen watching from the seats. They're spread out here and there in different sections/rows -- it does not seem as if one group with special permission all came in together, if you know what I mean.
(I am 99% sure the video is from Sunday morning; as a volunteer backstage, I saw Kirk entering/exiting the locker room then with his exhibition prop.)

Asking because I am wondering whether it will be possible to attend at future Nats?

Last edited:

Flip Jump

Just curious: Was it no problem for spectators in Columbus to enter the arena to watch exhibition practices?
Which I thought at past Nats have been closed to everyone?

A video clip on Kirk Haugeto's Instagram account shows him rehearsing his exhibition program in Nationwide Arena, and spectators (not many, but in double digits) clearly can be seen watching from the seats. They're spread out here and there in different sections/rows -- it does not seem as if one group with special permission all came in together, if you know what I mean.
(I am 99% sure the video is from Sunday morning; as a volunteer backstage, I saw Kirk entering/exiting the locker room then with his exhibition prop.)

Asking because I am wondering whether it will be possible to attend at future Nats?
We had all event tickets to nationals. On the schedule the exhibition practices did not say closed to the public but when we tried to enter for it we were turned away. Our friends who attended the friends of figure skating breakfast all said they were able to watch the exhibition practice because they were already in the arena. They sat in their normal seats.

acraven

I believe folks at the FOFS breakfast have been able to attend the Exhibition practice in the past; I'm not sure whether that has been the policy every year. At one point (decades ago, the year of Denver Nationals) folks with volunteer credentials could get in. I found that out when I complained profusely about a major change in the schedule, postponing the Ex for several hours, after I had already purchased my plane ticket. A kind person gave me a volunteer credential so I could at least see the Ex practice.

mattiecat13

It’s too bad the location for 2025 Nationals hasn’t been announced yet as the USFS lost an opportunity to sell tickets to a captive and interested audience. The Boston Worlds booth was always crowded when I walked by.

Columbus did a great job marketing and judging by the size of the crowd the interest may have been there to attend future events.

lexeoe

It’s too bad the location for 2025 Nationals hasn’t been announced yet as the USFS lost an opportunity to sell tickets to a captive and interested audience. The Boston Worlds booth was always crowded when I walked by.

Columbus did a great job marketing and judging by the size of the crowd the interest may have been there to attend future events.
any buzz in columbus who's likely to host 2025?

ice coverage

We had all event tickets to nationals. On the schedule the exhibition practices did not say closed to the public but when we tried to enter for it we were turned away. Our friends who attended the friends of figure skating breakfast all said they were able to watch the exhibition practice because they were already in the arena. They sat in their normal seats.

I believe folks at the FOFS breakfast have been able to attend the Exhibition practice in the past; I'm not sure whether that has been the policy every year. ...

Thanks for the replies.
FWIW, I attended FOFS breakfast at Nats in 2018-2020. Maybe I just "didn't get the memo," but I don't remember thinking it was OK to watch exhibition practices afterward. Or maybe those were years when it was not OK.
I know that a much higher donation level was necessary for FOFS members to attend this year's breakfast, so I suppose it makes some sense that the downsized group could watch exhibition practices (in their own seats) after breakfast.

acraven

any buzz in columbus who's likely to host 2025?

This is probably fifth-hand information, or worse, so it's definitely not reliable.

The rumors floating around Columbus were that the location is still under consideration (no scouting team from a 2025 LOC was spotted), with multiple bids having been submitted from Atlanta and "Florida". I got the impression (which could definitely be wrong) that at least two cities in Florida were in the mix.

January in central or southern Florida would be lovely, but I will not return to the venue used for the earlier Orlando Nationals. The seats were way higher than the ice surface. It was like watching people skate at the bottom of an empty swimming pool. From that experience (and an even worse one in Salt Lake City) I learned to Google for photos of any new arena USFS decides to use before buying tickets.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
January in central or southern Florida would be lovely, but I will not return to the venue used for the earlier Orlando Nationals. The seats were way higher than the ice surface. It was like watching people skate at the bottom of an empty swimming pool. From that experience (and an even worse one in Salt Lake City) I learned to Google for photos of any new arena USFS decides to use before buying tickets.
The arena that hosted Orlando Nationals doesn't exist anymore. It was demolished and replaced in 2010 (IIRC).

Flip Jump

Thanks for the replies.
FWIW, I attended FOFS breakfast at Nats in 2018-2020. Maybe I just "didn't get the memo," but I don't remember thinking it was OK to watch exhibition practices afterward. Or maybe those were years when it was not OK.
I know that a much higher donation level was necessary for FOFS members to attend this year's breakfast, so I suppose it makes some sense that the downsized group could watch exhibition practices (in their own seats) after breakfast.
I attended the breakfast in 2019-2020 and 2022-2023 and we were never able to attend the exhibition practices in our seats but could stand at the top of the stairs. Seems to be at the discretion of the arena staff.

marshallpond

The biggest downside is that athletes had no goodie bags this year. Not even a keychain or bookmark, LOL. You'd think that the biggest competition in the country would give something to the athletes. The smallest local competitions hand out tokens like towels or Chapstix to athletes, but not at this national.

Athletes were also not given opportunities to buy videos or photos. However, a photographer said she was the official photographer, but no communication was made to the athletes that they could purchase photos.

In San Jose, the USFS booth gave away gloves, stickers, etc., to the fans and whoever asked for them. No such thing this year.

acraven

There was a USFS booth tucked away in a dark corner beyond the sales table. There were some giveaways like pins and narrow rubber (?) bracelets. It seemed they had a bit of this and that, not necessarily in very large quantities. I know they ran out of "Skating" magazines before the end of the week.

marshallpond

There was a USFS booth tucked away in a dark corner beyond the sales table. There were some giveaways like pins and narrow rubber (?) bracelets. It seemed they had a bit of this and that, not necessarily in very large quantities. I know they ran out of "Skating" magazines before the end of the week.
They gave away pins? We bought it for $9! Highway robbery, I tell you lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information