2023-24 Program Music and Choreographers

Sylvia

TBD
Gilles/Poirier spoke to the media at HP camp today and revealed their music (starting at 1:50) this their video: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1697020039067468209

RD: “No More I Love You’s” (from wiki:"a song written by British musicians David Freeman and Joseph Hughes and originally recorded by them as the Lover Speaks. It was released in June 1986 as the lead single from their self-titled debut album."
ETA that Annie Lennox made this song famous in 1995 - love her cover!

FD: Wuthering Heights (which movie soundtrack?) - eta that Paul said "it's very classical but it has a lot of angularity and an undertone of darkness..."

Last edited:

skipaway

Gilles/Poirier spoke to the media at HP camp today and revealed their music (starting at 1:50) this their video: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1697020039067468209

RD: “No More I Love You’s” (from wiki:"a song written by British musicians David Freeman and Joseph Hughes and originally recorded by them as the Lover Speaks. It was released in June 1986 as the lead single from their self-titled debut album."

FD: Wuthering Heights (which soundtrack?)
Nothing says ‘80s like music I’ve never heard. Of course, I’m not so cosmopolitan or worldly.

manhn

Interesting that they didn’t just lead with Addicted to Love as that is the more famous song. But even though I never realized Lennox’s version was a cover, the original sounds 80s.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The 1980s-ness of the Rocky music is the problem. Fear/Gibson staked their claim doing high energy free dance programs and this year everybody will be doing 1980s RDs, so this is their moment to go in totally different musical direction for the free dance.

I don't think this music sets them apart or challenges them.

Plus, it's not good skating music. It's very choppy, and even when it has a consistent beat, it's a very simple beat that even learn-to-skate kids could follow.

And the choreography doesn't help. There's no reason (other than meeting the technical requirements) for one partner to pick the other up and glide around with them. It doesn't have to be a literal interpretation of the lyrics, but AFAIK boxers in training usually aren't gracefully lifting each other up and running around with them.

FWIW I forced Mr Overedge to watch the program, and as soon as the music started, he said, "when are they going to start punching each other?" And he nearly fell off the couch laughing when that's exactly what they did.....

skipaway

Plus, it's not good skating music. It's very choppy, and even when it has a consistent beat, it's a very simple beat that even learn-to-skate kids could follow.

And the choreography doesn't help. There's no reason (other than meeting the technical requirements) for one partner to pick the other up and glide around with them. It doesn't have to be a literal interpretation of the lyrics, but AFAIK boxers in training usually aren't gracefully lifting each other up and running around with them.

FWIW I forced Mr Overedge to watch the program, and as soon as the music started, he said, "when are they going to start punching each other?" And he nearly fell off the couch laughing when that's exactly what they did.....
I’ll be waiting for one of them to accidentally hit each other. Would be a fall deduction as well as an error in a required element. Double trouble!

Sylvia

TBD

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac (CAN)
RD: “Need You Tonight” and “Never Tear Us Apart” (INXS)
Choreographers: IAM team (presumably)

Molly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs (CAN)
RD: “Footloose” (soundtrack)
Choreographers: Carol Lane & team (presumably)

Sylvia

TBD
FD: Wuthering Heights (which movie soundtrack?) - eta that Paul said "it's very classical but it has a lot of angularity and an undertone of darkness..."
I had suggested on Twitter/X "Could Gilles/Poirier's FD music be from the EMILY 2022 film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski?" and she re-tweeted me so maybe? ;)

Roman Sadovsky (CAN)
SP: “Unconscious” by Charlie Winston with Marie-France Dubreuil at the Ice Academy of Montreal. (2+ mins. of him talking at HPC): https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1697318081234641306

Wesley Chiu (CAN)
SP: “Kissing You” [song from the 1996 Romeo+Juliet film soundtrack] by Sam Smith
FS: Selections from "Kill Bill” soundtrack [also includes the cover of "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (by Jac Ross according to @shutterbug back in June) in the middle]
(1.5 mins. of him talking at HPC): https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1697298608016568603

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Emilea Zingas / Vadym Kolesnik

RD: Another Part of Me by Michael Jackson
Liberian Girl by Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson

FD: Main Title Prologue (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken*
Transformations (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken
Overture (from "The Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Melken
Evermore (from "The Beauty and the Beast") performed by Josh Groban

Choreographer listed: Igor Shpilband

Source: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00115694.htm

(*Menken)

Tinycities

Didn’t they post on instagram that Benoit did one of their programs?

At least it looks like it’s the instrumental tracks.. besides the Josh groban yikes. Better than dealing with the Dan Stevens version again.

Andrea82

Egadze
SP: Ave Maria by Thomas Spencer-Wortley
FS: Nature Boy and El Tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge

Choreos by Daniil

Gubanova

SP: Mojo by Claire Laffut
FS: Caruso by Lara Fabian, Lucio Dalla

Choreos by Olga Glinka, Valentin Molotov

Danilova/Tisba
SP: Everybody Wants to Rule the World (The Hunger Games soundtrack) by Lorde + The Hanging Tree (The Hunger Games soundtrack) by James Newton Howard, Jennifer Lawrence
FS: The Chain by Fleetwood Mac

Choreos: Nikita Mikhailov, Sofia Evdokimova

Pucherova/Lysak
RD: I Hate Myself For Loving You by Joe Janett & The Blackhearts ; I Love Rock'n'Roll by Joe Janett      ; Bad Reputation by Joe Janett 
FD: Come what may (Moulin Rouge)
Choreos: Luca Lanotte

Simova/Aksenov

RD:
Ghostbusters by Ray Parker jr.
I Can Wait Forever by Air Supply
Name Game by Laura Branigan
FD:
Yesterday by The Beatles performed by Andre Rieu
Hey Jude by The Beatles performed by Joe Anderson
Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles

Choreos: Matteo Zanni and Barbora Reznickova