Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Of course they show commercials. What do you think all those ‘brought to you by Viking Cruises’ blurbs are? They are ads disguised as sponsorship notices.
They come at the beginning and end of the shows. PBS doesn't cut down shows so they can shove in a commercial for JiffyLube in the middle of the show like the commercial networks do. Plus, as I said, the production company did the cutting, not PBS.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I'm finally watching Bodyguard (on Netflix), which pretty much every British person I know was raving about when it showed there a few years ago. It's created by the same guy as Line Of Duty, so I had high hopes, but whilst I'm interested and I'll watch it until the end, I'm not as engrossed as I expected to be based on the original response.

On the up side, I just saw that Strange New Worlds S2 is due to start in the middle of June. :cheer2:

Sarah

I watched Cardinal! Billy Campbell is still :swoon: and I really liked the actress who played his partner. The show is my kind of series - sort of Canadian Nordic noir!
I’m really enjoying it and now forcing myself to watch slower because I don’t want it to end!

For those interested, it’s streaming on Hulu.

emason

They come at the beginning and end of the shows. PBS doesn't cut down shows so they can shove in a commercial for JiffyLube in the middle of the show like the commercial networks do. Plus, as I said, the production company did the cutting, not PBS.
Yes, they come at the beginning and end but they are still commercials and PBS still cuts everything they import to fit both the running time they decide on and to get the sponsorship spots in. PBS has made it quite clear in the past that they cut what they show.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Emergency:NYC based on lenox hill is on Netflix finally. Starting it now

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Ok I binged Emergency NYC. Really enjoyed it. Wish some of the episodes were longer. Not going to spoil it but lots of Lenox hill in it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Mr. Mac is "forcing" me to watch Star Trek: Prodigy. It's aimed at kids (co-produced by Nickelodeon) but apparently adult Star Trek fans are eating it up. I am not a fan, tbh. For one thing, the dialog is not well-written, and the animation is not good at all. It is definitely not to the standards of Lower Decks. (Watching Janeway's mouth move in ways that don't match what is coming out of her mouth is particularly annoying and noticeable.)

The story is semi-interesting though so I guess I will continue to listen while doing other things as long as Mr. Mac is watching it.

ETA oh and they already that the required "time travel that makes no sense even if you believe in time travel" episode and it's only the first season.

Japanfan

Mr. Mac is "forcing" me to watch Star Trek: Prodigy.
Mr. Japanfan and I have an agreement. If if force him to watch something, or rather . . .encourage. . . he then gets to force/encourage me to watch something.

Hasn't worked out to much watching, so far.

alexikeguchi

Ok I binged Emergency NYC. Really enjoyed it. Wish some of the episodes were longer. Not going to spoil it but lots of Lenox hill in it.
As a physician who completed training at a different system in NYC, I had a lot of trouble with the series and had to fast forward over significant parts. I really respected Amanda, but the neurosurgery bros made complete stereotypes of themselves. I have actually worked with neurosurgeons who have decent communication skills and can at least simulate humility, so I know it's possible to operate on brains and not be a complete egomaniac like these dudes.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Mr. Japanfan and I have an agreement. If if force him to watch something, or rather . . .encourage. . . he then gets to force/encourage me to watch something.

Hasn't worked out to much watching, so far.
We don't have an agreement. But I'd rather stay in the room and do stuff on my computer than go somewhere else after we are done watching the stuff we watch together and I don't have anything I'd rather watch so he gets to watch his stuff.

Mostly we watch stuff the other doesn't want to watch when they aren't around.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I binged last night on the new Rob Lowe show on Netflix, "Unstable". He stars with one of his sons in a father/son comedy about an eccentric scientist trying to reconnect with his son after the death of his wife. Overall, it was a nice enough show, I didn't feel like it was too much a waste of time! I would call it cute.

Sylvia

TBD
Since this thread is well over 3000 posts, would someone like to start a new streaming / binge watching thread without "Coronavirus" in the title? ;)

ETA:

Or we can just starting using @AliasJohnDoe's thread here :):

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I finally got a 7-day trial to HBO Max so I can watch Yellowjackets. I'm reading a creepy book and now watching a creepy show. Good times!
I caved and got the Showtime add on (I was wrong about it being HBO Max earlier) - only $4 a month through August - so I can watch S2. In shows like this, nothing can beat the newness of a first season, but S2 is in some ways better. Episode 5 is so, so good (and so, so wrong).

Am now whining that I'm 1) watching a show that is weekly like Ye Olde Times and 2) said show is skipping next week so now I have to wait TWO weeks for more omfgwtfery.

Also: will never listen to Stayin' Alive the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information