2023-2024 Rhythm dance

hlp728

With this 80’s theme, I need Olivia Smart and her new partner to skate to the Who’s That Girl soundtrack particularly the song “Causing a Commotion.” She was amazing channeling Sandy from Grease, and would definitely be a fabulous Nikki Finn (Madonna).

Also, I hope a team picks “Tonight is What It Means to be Young” and “Nowhere” from Streets of Fire, the Teen Witch
Soundtrack, and Valley Girl soundtrack (it’s like 80’s Romeo and Juliet without the dying part).

How about an “Uptown Girl” and “We Didn’t Start the Fire” RD?

The 80s has so much to offer music wise. I could see team do a Saturday Morning Cartoon mashup RD or a daytime/prime time soap opera RD (Dallas, Dynasty, Bold & the Beautiful, etc.).

chantilly

I think they could easily use a waltz for the pattern.
There’s so many 80’s ballads.
Then for a second rhythm the teams could use rock, funk, r and b, hip hop/rap, new wave, and even disco.

chantilly

Also Abba released two albums in the 80’s including the glorious single The Winner Takes it all.
That album was about the break ups of the couples at least partially, so some great stuff for ice dance couples

screech

I will never say no to ABBA.

I was watching Shrek 2 last night, which includes "Holding Out for a Hero" which I had no idea was from the Footloose soundtrack. So maybe that song (paired with "Total Eclipse of the Heart" for a Bonnie Tyler Program), or even a Footloose dance. I'd love if "Let's Hear it for the Boy" was used, as that song is the 'learning to dance' scene of the movie.

Shrek 2 also includes "I'm On My Way" by The Proclaimers from their 1988 album Sunshine on Leith, which also includes the iconic "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)". So maybe Fear/Gibson, since he's Scottish!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Shrek 2 also includes "I'm On My Way" by The Proclaimers from their 1988 album Sunshine on Leith, which also includes the iconic "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)". So maybe Fear/Gibson, since he's Scottish!

IIRC a couple of ice dance teams already used "Little Bit Of Poison" from that soundtrack for tango programs or RDs/ODs.

sus2850

Ive also got a question in relation to the free dance. Now that lyrics are allowed why does there have to be a change of beat/tempo (also not sure what that means exactly) Some songs tell a really great story and because of the required change the skaters cant tell it all. I can understand with instrumental pieces as the same music may be monotonous but songs have stories verses choruses and bridges which can give them interest and sometimes I think it would be nice for a team to tell the whole story in their performance. Any thoughts?
I am also not too keen on a lot of music cuts (but I loved the AC/DC medley for the second Luthanians), so at Europeans I really enjoyed when one team out of 24 just skated to one song (if I remember correctly). Apparently it counted as having enough change in itself and rightly so: It was „Insomnia“ (Reed/Ambrulevicius)

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
There’s also Queen!
I mean it might be been there done that of sorts with their previous material, but I think G/P would kill a Queen program.
Looking at this theme, I think everyone is thinking of Paul Poirer. I mean you can just picture him doing Freddy in "I want to break free" along with so many other songs from that error.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I know it's a 90's movie, but I desperately want a team to do a Romy & Michele's High School Reunion program. All the music is from the 80s, and they could be Michele and Sandy. Time After Time and Heaven is a Place on Earth. The Choreographic step (if the technical panel keeps it) could be based off the reunion dance.

BaileyCatts

Didn't Denkova Stavinski do a baroque program? I can't seem to find it but I am sure there is someone who would know it.

ETA - I found it

Oh yes that is the program that made me want a whole year of Baroque as the theme ever since. I think there would be some very interesting programs with a theme like Baroque. I mean if "street dancing" and "the 80's" can be a theme, then I want Baroque! :cheer2: :lol:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Oh yes that is the program that made me want a whole year of Baroque as the theme ever since. I think there would be some very interesting programs with a theme like Baroque. I mean if "street dancing" and "the 80's" can be a theme, then I want Baroque! :cheer2: :lol:
It really stood out because it was very different from what most of the other teams were offering.

emason

It really stood out because it was very different from what most of the other teams were offering.
I was keeping a tally on my program; with the exception of Staviski, every other male was wearing either a military uniform reminiscent of the Austro-Hungarian Empire or a set of tails - about 1/2 wore a uniform and 1/2 tails. The women wore ball gowns. This was the only team that I can recall that truly thought outside the box and this was my favorite OD of the season.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Last edited:

chantilly

I got a foretaste of next season at the hair salon just now. They had the all-'80s radio station on. We got Hungry Eyes, Footloose, Take My Breath Away, etc., etc.
Someone has to do Dirty Dancing.

I could see La/La maybe do that one.

Maybe Ca/Pon.

Im guessing the Australian couple could too.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
La/La may not desecrate the sacred memory of Patrick Swayze! (Speaking of leading men.)

I suggest “Every Breath You Take.” Zac could totally do a stalker.
He could kill it with "Hungry Eyes" too, if you're ging for stalker mode, lol.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I keep coming up with 70's era songs. Probably because I'm of that era
Do you think I'm sexy?
Maggie May
All of Saturday night

skategal

Bunny mama
I think this one is better for LaLa.

Just need to get some hair extensions for Zachary. :lol:

Totally fitting for how he spins Marjo in the lifts too. :lol:

SkateGuard

That's not what we'd get. We'd wind up with warring Backstreet Boys and N*Sync programs with a healthy dose of early Britney and Christina thrown in for good measure, not to mention some Spice Girls and another "Friends" theme program for good measure. It would feel like last season all over again!

As long as there’s a rousing Vengaboys medley, I’m in.

litenkyckling

I can definitely see IAM going down the 80s movies soundtrack/80s icon celebration route like they did during the blues season.

screech

I watched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion this weekend. (Man I forgot how much I love that movie) and since it's all 80s music, would totally work. HOWEVER the team must incorporate "Time After Time" with the woman wearing either Romy or Michelle's dress (I prefer Michelle's pink one), and the man in Alan Cumming's vest.

Lizziebeth

I watched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion this weekend. (Man I forgot how much I love that movie) and since it's all 80s music, would totally work. HOWEVER the team must incorporate "Time After Time" with the woman wearing either Romy or Michelle's dress (I prefer Michelle's pink one), and the man in Alan Cumming's vest.
This would be awesome! My question is that would they dig up some cover version of the song or use Cyndi Lauper :saint:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information